Shelby Cardozo

View Shelby Cardozo's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Will BHP Billiton Become A 'What Was I Thinking' Stock? [View article]
    awayk,

Sounds like we're in similar boats, thanks for the feedback. I haven't yet subscribed to fast graphs, I haven't quite broken down yet, though I'm sure I will eventually. Valuation is important, equally so is understanding the parts that make up that valuation which is why I had to go back and look at all the parts that make up BBL to figure out what was making at the lower end of it's historical range. In any case, I'll be holding BBL for a long time and will hopefully add more as pricing permits. Thanks for the comment.
    Apr 7, 2015. 05:10 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Oil Prices Rose 6% Yesterday - What Does It Mean? [View article]
    I still haven't seen any capitulation by oil companies or banks or bondholders, so I'm wondering why is the bottom in? Is a few short months of pump and store enough to shake out the market? Was demand that much greater? I'm confused.
    Apr 7, 2015. 03:20 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Will BHP Billiton Become A 'What Was I Thinking' Stock? [View article]
    SeatleView,

I think your assessment is dead on. If trading in and out is your cup of tea, I think this stock definitely provides the opportunity. I've got the same macro sense that you hint at and I wish you luck with your trades. Thanks for the comments.
    Apr 7, 2015. 03:17 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Will BHP Billiton Become A 'What Was I Thinking' Stock? [View article]
    txcounselor,

Agree'd on all accounts!
    Apr 7, 2015. 11:46 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 7% Raise For The Dividend Growth 50 [View article]
    I know that 25k represents all of my retirement portfolio.
    Apr 7, 2015. 10:47 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Will BHP Billiton Become A 'What Was I Thinking' Stock? [View article]
    txcounselor,

I wish you the best of luck with your investments. For me, I'm not so much worried about the paper capital loss, as historically on the 5 and 10 year charts, we're at the bottom of a cyclical sector. I doubt I'll find greener pastures in terms of single commodity exposure risk with XOM, though I do own a little of it. I think the oil story hasn't completely unraveled, while I think the iron, copper prices have been unraveling for much longer. Either way, I wish you luck.
    Apr 7, 2015. 10:35 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Will BHP Billiton Become A 'What Was I Thinking' Stock? [View article]
    Purple,

No harm, no foul ;)
    Apr 7, 2015. 10:24 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Will BHP Billiton Become A 'What Was I Thinking' Stock? [View article]
    rich,

Excellent advice.
    Apr 7, 2015. 10:18 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Will BHP Billiton Become A 'What Was I Thinking' Stock? [View article]
    nimsy1,

I'll be completing the other 1/2 of my position around that same price target. I hope we both get our opportunity.
    Apr 7, 2015. 10:14 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Will BHP Billiton Become A 'What Was I Thinking' Stock? [View article]
    BBL is a hold with a buy more when it's lower for me. The bumpiness doesn't bother me so much as the assets that I didn't do enough research on. Particularly their US shale operations which I think have become a Snapple purchase for BBL. Either way, I'm not selling, I'm just looking forward to what I believe will present it self, a lower stock price to complete my position in BBL.
    Apr 7, 2015. 10:13 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Will BHP Billiton Become A 'What Was I Thinking' Stock? [View article]
    Thanks rich,

The cyclical nature doesn't bother me so much as some of the buy high, shutter low US shale acquisitions that have come unraveled for BBL. You are right, the South32 assets are somewhat uninspiring and definitely worthy of their own article I think. The focus on value over volume will likely continue to be the theme song for this company. If I'm lucky I can average down and pick up the other half of my position for the long term hold.
    Apr 7, 2015. 10:09 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Will BHP Billiton Become A 'What Was I Thinking' Stock? [View article]
    In the article I think I stated, "initially purchased to represent a somewhat cyclical commodity", I picked a dividend grower and David has a list of them which saves me some work, but even with those things, the US shale operations have been a very poor performer, I'm not sure how you can argue with that, and the FCF improvements are going to be key to making this demerger work. There are more options that buy or sell. I think hold is an option with buying more if the short term picture declines as is highlighted at the conclusion of the article. Thanks for the feedback however.
    Apr 7, 2015. 10:04 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Mr. Valuation's Best Valued Ideas For Retirement And Dividend Growth Portfolios: Cisco [View article]
    Hadesnight,

This isn't exactly news though, the Chinese government as part of national security is encouraging moving away from US products which could be used against it.
    Apr 6, 2015. 05:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ranking The Dow Jones Industrial Stocks With The Chowder Rule [View article]
    David,

It was my gut feeling that brought me to buy BAC in the same time period you did. Sometimes, it's a macro thematic sensibility that brings me to a particular stock.
    Apr 6, 2015. 05:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • France may get double votes at Orange in 2016 [View news story]
    Hilarious. France's government is so dependent on those dividends, they're giving themselves even more control over a company so that they can't be cut off the teat.
    Apr 6, 2015. 11:00 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment