Shelby Cardozo

View Shelby Cardozo's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Why It Is Time To Short Pandora [View article]
    Pandora is the Netflix of radio, except without meaningful revenue. It's a middleman offering a free product, that has a poor revenue stream.
    Aug 3, 2012. 11:11 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Do You Really Need $1 Million To Retire? [View article]
    There's only one problem with the article. It assumes the 45 year old has 500k in retirement. When in reality the average is much closer to 50k. Seems like the articles premise is either a) OMG, we saved half a million dollars the last 23 years and now suddenly have no clue how to invest. b) we just inherited half a million dollars and have no clue how to invest.

Good article, I guess I'm just not in the target audience.
    Aug 2, 2012. 09:10 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Pain In Spain [View article]
    Just went long today STD and plan to continue grasping for the falling knife until it reaches the bottom. Going very, very long. Europe is like the US in 2008, we're going to hit historic lows. Pick companies you belive can survive, and watch the massive returns over the next decade.
    Apr 10, 2012. 08:40 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald's: I'm Loving The Opportunity [View article]
    Iggy the Pop,

You are right, there are a lot of people at MCD whom will put forward everything they can to make this succeed.
    Jan 3, 2015. 11:54 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald's: I'm Loving The Opportunity [View article]
    bg6638-2,

Is that your global opinion, or just your locale and time dependent opinion? With much of the global population still not having access to "fast food", I think there is room to grow significantly across the globe.
    Jan 1, 2015. 04:23 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald's: I'm Loving The Opportunity [View article]
    jj1937,

You may very well be right. But if engineering is what is driving the company, is this a company out of gas, or chugging along? I believe it's chugging along. I don't disagree with your notion, rather, I substitute that it's okay to invest slowly and average down, knowing that it's chugging along.
    Jan 1, 2015. 01:40 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald's: I'm Loving The Opportunity [View article]
    Bentodd,

Yo hit the nail on the head.
    Jan 1, 2015. 12:04 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Making The Difficult Decision To Part Ways With BP [View article]
    Payouts from the settlement due to increase. Oil prices in a rut. The next few months seem quite uncertain. The big picture I'm sure is fine, but the short term one is pretty hazy. I am long the stock and will add more under around and under $35 range.
    Dec 30, 2014. 12:58 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bottom-fishing in energy sector [View news story]
    Long VDE myself.
    Dec 30, 2014. 12:50 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Write On Seeking Alpha? [View article]
    Colin,

I don't think there is a problem with the moderation per-say (I am not talking about comment moderation, I am talking about article moderation), just that inherently article moderators, aka editors, are in a position where they are beholden to seeing the business improve through ever increasing page views, while at the same time in charge of ensuring that bad articles (those which do not enrich the community), which may improve page views don't go through.

All a troll or abuser has to do at this point is get an article past an editor. Bam they get paid. But if a community has input into a authors reputation, karama, or other system that is easily visable, then editors have another tool in the toolbelt for which to gauge the risk and benefits of allowing another bad article from bad authors.

Does it improve SA to have a bad article reach front page headliner status, or does it hurt the value of SA when it happens? If it's generating a bazillion pageviews does the answer change?

If the community in some way had more direct access and ways to leave feedback, it can self moderate. Whether by a karma system, upvotes, downvotes, aggregated time on page and page views etc. Plenty of ways to allow the community to self police and at the same time improve.
    Dec 21, 2014. 06:55 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Update: Bad To Worse At ARCP [View article]
    Garisonmp3z,

You mad a good choice. Don't look back on this one.
    Dec 18, 2014. 03:21 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Update: OK, Now We're Cautious On ARCP [View article]
    I suspect the stock will continue to crater anyone left holding the stock is going to end up hurting real, real bad.
    Dec 17, 2014. 01:51 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Profit From A Rebound In Oil Prices [View article]
    Rather than take risk on by the horns, I'm going to be putting more of my funds into VDE and averaging down over the next 7 months. Sometimes an ETF is the way to go when a whole sector is getting hammered.
    Dec 8, 2014. 04:37 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Crash Of Oil Prices Could Be The Opportunity Of The Decade, Part 2 [View article]
    Took a bite of CVX, BP and BBL again today. CVX is now half a position. BP and BBL are 40% of a full position. Will continue to average down to a full position of 2k for my late to the game retirement fund.
    Nov 28, 2014. 12:22 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald's - Headwinds Continue As Pressure Is Building To Make A Dramatic Strategic Move [View article]
    I really think this should be the basis of an article. I strongly believe that for dividend growth stocks a historical yield average can provide a strong level of support for a stock. Much like historical PE ratios and the trend to gravitate towards the average, yields, specifically quarterly yields compared to historical norms are a great opportunity to identify buying spots.

A quarterly yield of .85% ranks in the high end of the spectrum for MCD and it's 38 year dividend history. If the stock gets to 1% quarterly yield, it will be at near all time highs. Something almost never seen.
    Jul 23, 2014. 11:16 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment