Shiraz Lakhi

View Shiraz Lakhi's Comments BY TICKER:

• Gap Shares Now Offer Opportunity [View article]
    I think MoneyMachine71 hits the nail on the head - the best advice I received on this was from my teens (and their 'uber-cool' crew) - sure the numbers, management performance (ROIC), and FCF stand up, but a dying brand is hard to resuscitate, the industry moves way too fast to keep up - there are better opportunities/industires out there right this minute, based on the theme/premise that the stock is cheaper / better value than it was yesterday / last week. Good luck )
    Sep 30, 2015. 04:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Volkswagen Is Not A New British Petroleum: Buy Into The Phoenix [View article]
    Need to be brave jumping on board VW right now - could be the best decision (I cannot see much more downside below $90 so some risk - personal opinion) - buying BMW though at deflated levels makes good sense - subj to checking fundamentals / FCF based valuation..
    Sep 30, 2015. 04:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Luby's Inc.: The Absolutely Perfect Contrarian Play [View article]
    Bought an extra 7,000 @ 4.90 - nice move today re-enforces solid arguments made above - trying to get more selling put options but such a thin market (
    Sep 30, 2015. 04:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Good Times Ahead For Valero Energy [View article]
    I am long short crude / long gasoline dollar neutral - playing the raw crack spread (minus heating oil) - same thesis - also holding Western Refining (WNR) for a longer term play.
    Sep 12, 2015. 08:30 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Luby's Inc.: The Absolutely Perfect Contrarian Play [View article]
    Agreed on most points - nice upbeat article on a Monday morning - I have pondered this deep-value play for a while (patience paying off) - could be the right time to put some speculative capital into play here - the only thing you have not mentioned in the article is the minimum-wage pressure knocking at their door - any comments?
    Aug 31, 2015. 07:10 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Seadrill Partners - Value Opportunity Despite Capex Cutbacks From Big Oil [View article]
    Good call - better timed than mine - but nonetheless enjoying big 5.5%+ pay-off on this trade today (without leverage!)...
    Jul 6, 2015. 11:45 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 Reasons It's Time To Buy Qualcomm Right Now [View article]
    Long QCOM since my last article here on SA. Been adding to position since @ 65.50 and 63.90 - based purely on agreed IoT growth and competent management. It's one of those no-brainers right now with downside risk limited and significant upside...
    Jul 4, 2015. 03:32 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Pair Trade: Long Kors, Short Coach [View article]
    I am long COH - just wrote on my instablog today - based on EV/FCF it is one of the cheapest stocks in the consumer sector today, backed by positive outlooks (see ChristopherM122's comments on this stream) which the author has not mentioned in the article. Nobody takes the P/E seriously except the ill-advised retail investor. Let's see how this pans out in 3 months time, vs KORS.
    Jun 2, 2015. 05:03 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Pair Trade: Long Kors, Short Coach [View article]
    I can't believe a contributory writer at SA takes P/E for face value, without further analysis of more advanced (and thorough) comparable metrics such as EV/EBITDA or better still, EV/FCF. To base an article on such flimsy a metric as P/E is downright dangerous in the context of recommending a short.
    Jun 2, 2015. 05:00 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Smart Money Is Buying Home Builders [View article]
    The article could have gone into some more depth, but thesis is generally good - considering writing some 26 strike puts on DHI to collect premium / ok to get called/exercised as it is a stock I don't mind owning.
    May 29, 2015. 10:51 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why We Still Don't Like Potbelly Corporation [View article]
    Well done FreeMkts - much better analysis and I agree - there are lots of alternative metrics one can choose (especially Enetrprise Value based) which paints a wholly different picture, than the limited scope comparisons by the author, based on "Same-Store Sales Growth in Most Recent Quarter" - I also see red flags every time P/E is used as a comparative measure - much better to use operating-income (EV/EBIT or EV/EBITDA) or - as you point out EV/Sales... Anyway... you get the point...
    Mar 7, 2015. 07:29 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Achieve 20% Plus Yield Using A Simple Strategy And Beating Smart Money [View article]
    I agree - the 'best case scenario' expressed in the entry/strike differential portrays hidden optimism (almost misleading, had it not been for the caveat), rather than reality... should not be in the excel diagrams. I respect the author though, he has done some exceptional (deep detail) articles for specific companies. Regarding options - for me, it's always been a no-brainer to sell/write near-term put options on stocks I want to own (recently example QCOM), as opposed to the more elaborate "long-term, beat the professionals" advocacy portrayed in these type of articles.
    Nov 19, 2014. 08:58 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Qualcomm: Offers Strong Value Buy Opportunity On Current Pullback [View article]
    Thank you for the positive/constructive comment - yes absolutely, the P/E compression analysis over time is something I have used extensively in my portfolio picks, and am looking at developing further in my stock screener / chart engine - with a 3-5 year look-back period - the screener will also include historical perspective - 5 year charts - on other key ratio's (Price/EBIT, Price/EBITDA, Price/FCF, Price/Book AND Price/Tangible-Book, EnterpriseValue/EBIT, EV/FCF). This will be a valuable feature/impetus for visual analysis of specific companies (similar to QCOM) with compressed P/x (or EV/x) ratio's across varying time periods.
    Oct 26, 2014. 07:00 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks for the positive feedback - I am humbled. Bought QCOM today / filled between 74.40-74.44 (additional pullback was a bonus) - time will tell if this pays off - quietly confident...
    Oct 22, 2014. 02:09 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Pricing In Q4 - Apple Already Trading At 20% Premium Above Fundamental Value Ratios [View article]
    Don't get me wrong - I am not in any way playing Apple down, or advocating negativity. Apple has surprised time and again, is likely to continue doing so, and competitors are quietly humbled by the standards this brand sets across the industry. The point I want to get across is - at the current valuations relative to recent quarters, at least in the short term, the current stock price has likely priced in all expectations of record sales in Q4.
    Oct 20, 2014. 03:39 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment