Shlomo Wiesen

View Shlomo Wiesen's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Apple's Slow And Steady Search Attack [View article]
    Thanks! I'm still waiting for some hard news on AAPL development with SIRI though.
    Sep 10 11:26 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple's Slow And Steady Search Attack [View article]
    I wouldn't necessarily base my purchase of AAPL shares around the idea of SIRI overtaking Google search. Rather I am pointing out a larger idea, of AAPL using an innocuous tool in order to place the framework for future entry, i.e. the iPod and ultimately iTunes. And if my grand conjecture is correct, then yes, SIRI --could-- compete with Google. Take it how you want it...
    Sep 10 11:25 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple's Slow And Steady Search Attack [View article]
    I too have wondered about the Google buyout of Motorola. The patents have tremendous R&D value, more than us pedestrian investors can decipher. I've always felt that Intel enjoys being the diplomatic tech giant, despite what people claim. Going back to your previous point, I do wonder what the AAPL boardroom response was to Google's buying Motorola. I think buying VRNG, (which in turn nets them 500 Nokia patents) would be a sly response for muchhhh less cost.
    Sep 10 11:22 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple's Slow And Steady Search Attack [View article]
    DuckDuckGo has been surging in recent months, and i'm honestly puzzled that i havent even heard a rumor of buyout talks with either MSFT, AAPL, or YHOO. Hell, GOOG should meet with them. Blekko is the other popular minority search engine but they feel a bit spammy to me. DDG is the real up and comer.
    Sep 10 11:18 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple's Slow And Steady Search Attack [View article]
    2 years ago I would have agreed. At this point, however, with Mayer running the ship with her foot on the mobile pedal, I don't see the Yahoo! board agreeing to a buyout/takeover, unless it's for significantly more than the Yahoo's current $30 billion value, which at that point, is not worth it for AAPL.
    Sep 10 11:14 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple's Slow And Steady Search Attack [View article]
    thanks!
    Sep 10 11:11 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple's Living Room Strategy Can Conquer Gaming [View article]
    Too far off in my opinion.
    Mar 20 03:28 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple's Living Room Strategy Can Conquer Gaming [View article]
    I don't know about Nintendo. They seem to be losing the war to Sony and Microsoft, and $14 billion would end up being closer to $17-18 billion, assuming the broach them with a pure buyout. Call me crazy, but I like the idea of buying Sega, a (now) tiny video game company, in order get some backbone for a console, but also for their video games. Sega did ultimately fail in the console business, but their last console, the Dreamcast was a fine console (I believe they completely underestimated Sony and Microsoft). And, launching Apple with Sonic and the 2k sports series wouldn't be the worst idea in the world. Especially because Sega would cost a fraction of Nintendo.
    Mar 20 03:18 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple's Living Room Strategy Can Conquer Gaming [View article]
    "Apple" is generic for all fruits and nuts, acc to our etymology. Although Paul Newman will agree with you on the fig.

And from the reputable newscientist.com:

Memoirs of Sir Isaac Newton's Life written by William Stukeley, an archaeologist and one of Newton's first biographers, and published in 1752. Newton told the apple story to Stukeley, who relayed it as such:

"After dinner, the weather being warm, we went into the garden and drank thea, under the shade of some apple trees...he told me, he was just in the same situation, as when formerly, the notion of gravitation came into his mind. It was occasion'd by the fall of an apple, as he sat in contemplative mood. Why should that apple always descend perpendicularly to the ground, thought he to himself..."
    Mar 20 03:14 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple's Living Room Strategy Can Conquer Gaming [View article]
    Potentially disruptive? Oh, its extraordinarily disruptive, which is why I can't imagine the government letting the retransmission technology into the wild. I suppose the court of appeals will decide that soon enough, but in the meantime, I'm very intrigued by the experimental run with the 22 initial cities. Interestingly, LA is not one of the cities- I suppose Diller didn't want to rankle the Hollywood/TV execs more than he already has.
    Mar 19 10:58 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple's Living Room Strategy Can Conquer Gaming [View article]
    I essentially agree- Apple needs both sides of the coin. Companies like Activision have to develop for them, but iOS app dev can and still would be a major asset, esp for kids.
    Mar 19 10:43 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple's Living Room Strategy Can Conquer Gaming [View article]
    Agreed- the large screen element is such a draw- I can't imagine it not dominating the holiday season.
    Mar 19 10:42 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple's Living Room Strategy Can Conquer Gaming [View article]
    That's a good point- introducing non-gamers to gaming by way of the very living room I wrote about!
    Mar 19 10:37 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple's Slow And Steady Search Attack [View article]
    thats why i think a small search engine with a seemingly strong algorithm like duckduckgo would be an incredible purchase by either yahoo or apple.... how much would they even cost? would seem to be a drop in the bucket.
    Yahoo already whiffed on the Facebook deal, but if they could acquire a possible Google competitor, would be interesting.
    Dec 29 11:22 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple's Slow And Steady Search Attack [View article]
    Fair point about Mayer.

For me, the difference b/w Siri and Google's voice product is a combination of awareness and the growing popularity of the iphone, which has Siri built in to each one, so I feel like Yahoo would want that reachability...to every iphone user in the world.
    Dec 29 11:12 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment