Shmulik Karpf

View Shmulik Karpf's Comments BY TICKER:
  • 2 Main Reasons To Short J.C. Penney [View article]
    no reason in specific. the put options are not too expensive. the problem with put options, as well as with options in general is that although I can try and predict an event, it is extremely inaccurate to try and predict its time frame.

SK
    Feb 18 02:00 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 2 Main Reasons To Short J.C. Penney [View article]
    upbeat,
    I guess we'll just have to wait and see about that.

SK
    Feb 16 04:22 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Atwood Oceanics Post-Earnings Trade Recap [View article]
    No problem. Making money for other people, as well as for myself was and remained my original intention.

SK
    Feb 12 05:16 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Do Yourself A Favor: Stay Away From Social Media Stocks [View article]
    Hi Ed,
    "Different people have different risk tolerances. I am willing to take on this risk, but I can't suggest that others take on this risk if I don't know their individual situations."

SK
    Feb 7 09:15 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Rally In Zynga Shares: Don't Bet The Farm On It [View article]
    hi colin,
    agree with you 100%. Check out my article here:
    Feb 7 04:59 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Atwood Oceanics Post-Earnings Trade Recap [View article]
    Mosh,
    You are more than welcome to drop for a visit here, in Tel Aviv.
    My treat.

SK
    Feb 4 03:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Atwood Oceanics Post-Earnings Trade Recap [View article]
    A couple of comments:

1. Thank you Markuzick for your remark on ITMN: they changed their reporting date and now it is February 9th, after the close. That means one needs to short it before.

2. yoyoma1: I agree with you, but the SA editorial team insisted that i place a specific price to close rather than just buy in the open market. In practice, it makes no sense.

3. Mosh: boy, you certainly like to write a lot... I advise you to focus on returns rather than on my words. While I can't promise to deliver the later, I will certainly do my best to deliver the former.

WATCH- ITMN.
    SK
    Feb 3 10:32 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Short Chico's FAS On Acquisition Rumors [View article]
    If something 'works' on average, consistently, that is more than enough to make you money. That is the underlying concept of trading.

CHS is not a special case in that regard.
    Jan 31 02:47 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Short Chico's FAS On Acquisition Rumors [View article]
    Hi Alan and thanks for your comment. I enjoy reading your articles.
    An WSJ is not a must but it must take some good headline space somewhere, that is true.

It is indeed a sensitive play but the odds are in my favor. Will keep updating on this trade.

SK
    Jan 26 08:11 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 2 Potentially Profitable Turnaround Plays [View article]
    Hi Hidden Value,
    I apologize for my delayed response, I have only noticed it now.

First of all, thank you for your compliments.
    Second, it seems like your picks have been performing tremendously well in January 2012 so far.

Keep up the good work!
    SK
    Jan 24 04:25 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Make 29% In 29 Days [View article]
    Thanks Senticar for your comment. I couldn't phrase it better: the reasoning behind the initial short was the mistreatment of shareholders. Period.

A few comments of my own:

1. Yes, being lucky sometimes help. thanks for pointing that out. Being sharp can often help as well..
    2. I agree with Senticar: ALL TRADES MUST BE DISCLOSED. everyone is more than welcome to see my full list of trades. they include 7% on YHOO, 36% on CHRS a, etc. I dont have any losing trades as of now, but I am sure my turn will come.
    3. Per my NFLX trade: yes, i closed the trade and made 15%. I did not see fit to publish it because my initial recommendation was "Avoid NFLX on cash flow issues". I did not specifically recommend a short and therefore I do not take the credit for my short. My bank account took the credit for it...:)
    Jan 22 02:59 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Barnes & Noble: Keep Your Short On [View article]
    Hi Scott,
    BKS owns about $1.2 BL of buildings& leasehold improvements..
    Please bear in mind that as far as tangible assets are concerned, it is not easy to refute the company's estimates of it, that is in contrast to tangible assets that could be quickly overstated and remain on the balance sheet as overstated for a long time.
    Jan 15 06:19 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Annaly Capital's Stock Will Continue To Fall [View article]
    I disagree with your sentence: "Nowhere is this reckless use of debt more evident that Annaly’s own dividend policy".
    You are forgetting that NLY is a REIT which is obligated to pay 90% of its revenues in the form of dividends in order to enjoy this preferable status.
    Jan 3 08:48 AM | 13 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Betting On A 2012 Shipping Recovery [View article]
    Hi Joseph, thx for the interesting article.
    I would definitely add GNK to your list of dryships. Also worth a mention is the famous BDI (which is the index that tracks average shipping cost per day, in points) and its correlation to the stock performance of compatible companies.
    Follow me on SA as I am soon to initiate a piece on GNK. I have been riding it both ways...:)
    Dec 28 08:19 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Wells Fargo: A Plagued Stock With Serious Risks For Investors [View article]
    Personally, I feel much more comfortable betting on WFC than betting against it.
    But this article threw in some refreshing facts on WFC and that is always for the best, even though I disagree with the author's conclusion.
    Dec 25 03:54 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment