Siddharth Dalal

View Siddharth Dalal's Comments BY TICKER:
  • More Proof That Tesla Is Conserving Batteries [View article]
    Yes, IMHO they are just to distract the public from the much better option of EVs
    Apr 20, 2015. 04:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • More Proof That Tesla Is Conserving Batteries [View article]
    Nice, so charge times could remain constant even though battery size goes up effectively giving you more range in the same amount of time.

I was reading a few days ago about Hydrogen filling and apparently it is very slow too, except under ideal conditions and just like batteries it gets slower as the tank reaches full.
    Apr 20, 2015. 04:14 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • More Proof That Tesla Is Conserving Batteries [View article]
    They already moved from 90 - 135kW, right?
    Apr 20, 2015. 03:38 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • More Proof That Tesla Is Conserving Batteries [View article]
    @charalambos - Thanks. Good Point. Tesla is also a customer themselves of storage batteries.
    Apr 20, 2015. 02:19 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • More Proof That Tesla Is Conserving Batteries [View article]
    "As Tesla is not constrained by battery supplies" - that is speculation on your part.
    Apr 20, 2015. 02:17 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Genius Of The Tesla 70D: Sell More Cars, Use Fewer Batteries [View article]
    "CostCo-sized building":

is already over 5 football fields (thats 2000 feet) long. From eyeballing it is about 400ft wide. Thats 800,000 sq ft already.

The average size of a costco store is 142,000 sq ft - http://bit.ly/1GcjkBu

So we are nearly at 6 Costcos.

cparmerlee, that is how big your sham is one year before partial go live. Tesla is running the best kept secret sham ever, upgrade a large car factory to make the best reviewed car in the world, set up the best charging network in the world and partner with the largest battery maker in the world to make the largest battery factory in the world. It's about time you give up on your sham posts.
    Apr 20, 2015. 09:13 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Genius Of The Tesla 70D: Sell More Cars, Use Fewer Batteries [View article]
    "If this happens with cell technology, Tesla is going to have an old cell factory before its even complete."

That is a useless argument unless there are willing participants in the industry to put in capex to outdo Tesla's production with newer battery tech and also assumes that Tesla cannot convert to newer tech themselves at lower cost than the competition.

The current state of the industry says otherwise.
    Apr 17, 2015. 09:12 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Genius Of The Tesla 70D: Sell More Cars, Use Fewer Batteries [View article]
    329/month + 4000 down - stop ignoring the downpayment. My current Leaf (mid range model) is 250/mo including tax, 0 down. Last month, the lowest offer for a new Leaf (top end model) I could get was 350/mo including taxes nothing down. BMW i3 was in the 700s. 2014 Merc B Class electric was ~450 (from out of state dealer) because dealers are trying to get rid of it in preparation for the 2015. So I renewed my lease for a year because I'm not paying significantly more for cars with roughly equivalent range. Plus the BMW i3 design was totally impractical for my needs. My local ford dealer wants nothing to do with Ford Focus electric so I cant get it serviced so it is out of consideration.

This is the state of EVs today. I'm willing to pay more as long as the car goes 200 miles + in real life. I need to get from charlottesville, va to dulles airport and back without charging. That is the longest trip I make. The second longest trip is a trip to the mountains (about 100 miles round trip). Those are my simple needs and there is no EV that can meet my needs on the horizon except the Model 3.
    Apr 15, 2015. 02:43 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Genius Of The Tesla 70D: Sell More Cars, Use Fewer Batteries [View article]
    "maybe you want to drive one" - It's a gas car so it is off my list like all other gas cars. Yes the genesis is a good car, no doubt about that.
    Apr 15, 2015. 01:53 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Tesla Has Outed The Good News Early, Now What? [View article]
    "And you seem to ignore the fact that TSLA will be picking up these bills forever." who is picking up the bills when I take my car to the dealer to get software updates?

And as usual you miss the point with irrelevant sidenotes. Simple question - Is wifi + OTA cheaper than going to the dealer? If so, either car manufacturers are incompetent or unwilling.

Just FYI, the Nissan Leaf has three years of free internet connection included for their carwings. Also it is only free for 4 years with the Tesla, not for life (yet)
    Apr 15, 2015. 09:28 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Genius Of The Tesla 70D: Sell More Cars, Use Fewer Batteries [View article]
    Why are you so obsessed with the Genesis, counter this:
    Apr 15, 2015. 09:10 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Genius Of The Tesla 70D: Sell More Cars, Use Fewer Batteries [View article]
    I dont want a bigger car. I want a small car that I can fuel at home and gives me great mileage. I carpool, I have solar panels. I'm not interested in a gas guzzler or going to the gas station any more than I have to with my other car (which is an SUV).

Plus 339 for the lease is misleading because it ignores the downpayment. It is 450/month rolling the downpayment into the lease + taxes etc. so similarly priced to my estimate of the Leaf 2.

I can claim any car is 339/month without mentioning how much downpayment needs to be made.
    Apr 15, 2015. 07:54 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Genius Of The Tesla 70D: Sell More Cars, Use Fewer Batteries [View article]
    "Sidd, why? Are you that upset that the Hyundai Genesis is that much better and half (or better) the price with similar quality and no range limitations?"

- If I wanted a Hyundai genesis, I would have one now. What I want is a mini Model S to replace my Leaf. In no way does a Hyundai Genesis (or any luxury sedan) hold a candle to the Tesla IMHO and I wont spring for the Model S because I don't drive much. If I drove any more than 15k miles/yr, I'd be in a Model S now.

" it is an unnecessary hypothesis that the model is being produced now with a view to conserve cells"

- I would rephrase that as optimize the usage of cells to produce the most number of cars possible while also leaping far ahead of any possible upcoming competition.
    Apr 15, 2015. 07:51 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Genius Of The Tesla 70D: Sell More Cars, Use Fewer Batteries [View article]
    "Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it true that Tesla at least considered a 50KWh model early on and abandoned the idea at the time due to its too-short range?" - It was 40kWh with a 160mile range and no supercharging. I think they designed that to meet their price point of 50k after rebates but almost nobody bought that car and Tesla moved to a 200 mile minimum range because that was what the market wanted.

I'm assuming a 50kWh could make a smaller car go 200 miles but aerodynamics plays a role too. For example the Leaf's 24kWh only makes it go 85 miles and highway efficiency is worse than the Model S from poorer aerodynamics.

Meredes B Class electric has 36kWh but only goes 100 miles (with a special range extension mode that charges the battery to 100%)
    Apr 14, 2015. 12:00 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Genius Of The Tesla 70D: Sell More Cars, Use Fewer Batteries [View article]
    Whenever I've test driven a vehicle, it has had temporary dealer tags that they put on the car just before the test drive.

"In general, dealer plates are special license plates used by dealers that allow customers to legally test-drive unregistered cars on public streets and highways.

The laws on dealer plates vary significantly state-to-state. But in general, most states only allow dealer license plates to be used by an owner, officer, employee of the dealership, or by a customer that is test driving the car, according to the Automobile Dealer Training Association."

Quick google also shows special plates for loaners:
    Apr 14, 2015. 10:33 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment