Following 23 years with JPMorgan, Simon Lack founded SL Advisors, LLC, in 2009. Prior to that, Simon was CEO and founder of the JPMorgan Incubator Funds, two private equity vehicles that took economic stakes in emerging hedge fund managers. From the late 1980s through 1999 through several bank mergers Simon ran Fixed Income Derivatives and Forward FX trading for JPMorgan and predecessor institutions, ultimately overseeing 50 professionals and $300 million in annual revenues. Simon also sat on JPMorgan’s investment committee allocating over $1 billion to hedge fund managers. He is the author of two books: The Hedge Fund Mirage: The Illusion of Big Money and Why It’s Too Good to Be True, published in 2011 to widespread praise from mainstream financial press including The Economist, Financial Times and Wall Street Journal; Bonds Are Not Forever; The Crisis Facing Fixed Income Investors (August 2013). Simon makes regular appearances on cable TV business shows discussing hedge funds and investing.
I have been actively investing in the stock market since early 2008. My mentors are Warren Buffet, Sir John Templeton and Peter Lynch. I have incorporated the best ideas of all three into my own unique strategy. In 2010 I began to favor income investing, but I still devote time from my busy schedule to researching growth stocks. I successfully navigated the stock market during the Great Recession and came out profitable in the end. I once read that to become truly profitable in the stock market one has to find his own way, this is what I have done.
Defensive / Value investor. Practice 5 P's ( Protect, Preserve, PATIENCE, Perspective and Prudence ). 30 years investing with last 15 using SWAN disciplines. Next 20-25% correction converting to ALL IN DGI with no ETF's , funds, CEF's or Bond funds. Hopefully this can take place over next 3 years by 2019/2020............. Semi retired with a current portfolio of 50+ stocks, commodities and a handful of funds all with Vanguard. Looking to focus on Higher Quality stocks by end of 2017. Zero debt is the only way to get to SWAN heaven for those that are not there yet.....No mortgage or tuition payments done as of 2015......... Live in the Boston / New England area my entire life. Avid follower of Chowder, DVK, Mr. Fish ( thank you x10 ), Mr. Nadel, Mr. Wells, Chuck C., B/H 2012, Rose, PTI, and many others for past 10 years of contributions to SA community. Worked in management within high tech industry for 25 years, survived dot com crash ( learned the hard way about diversification ). It was exciting times with multiple M & A's and a couple of IPO's that gave me a second chance to implement a more defensive investing position (divy payers) not knowing it resembled DGI that I have embraced since @ 2000 / 01. That one wake up call (DOT COM crash) was the FINAL wake up calll and I am n ow 100% convinced that the slow and steady route will build wealth vs. the typical (CNBC) trade mentality of trying to buy low and sell high. IMHO the.KISS method is the only way to SWAN. Don't get me wrong I will only purchase fair to under valued , sometimes deeply undervalued but never over value. I use a combination of M* , Capital IQ , Fast Graphs and Merrill for FV analysis. Utilize Young Intelligence Monthly Report to maintain sanity towards world and financial events. Only DRIP at FV or lower valuations and Core positions will DRIP up to 10% over FV median number. Adjust auto DRIP on a qtrly basis. Will accumulate divys otherwise and apply to best FV at 1 to 1.5k increments focus is on quality vs income. Not taking any distributions at this time. New capital each year is 6500 x 2 = 13k into ROTH each January. Plan is to continue for next 10 years then start distributions.
Update Oct 2, 2016
Port breakdown: 65% Stock, 16% Bond funds, 17% Cash 2% Commodity
Current Portfolio by Div %: Top 30 of 58 represent 60% of equity DIVIDEND income. Remaining 40% of income from bond funds / mutual funds ( none listed but all Vanguard ) that will be converted into equity / stock after next correction of 20% or greater.
GOAL: 50 stocks paying 1k/yr each representing 2% income by 2026.
No GIC sector above 14% of income.
TOP 30 BELOW
4.2% WFC-PL ( Preferred stock )
4.2% AMLP ( ETF )
4.1% BAC-PL ( Preferred stock )
4.0% BDJ ( Large Value CEF )
3.8% SSW-PG ( Preferred stock )
2.7% BCX ( Energy CEF )
2.6% OHI (CR BBB-)
1.9% LXP ( BBB- )
1.8% GRX ( Health / Wellness CEF )
AES-P ( Preferred )
KMI ( BBB-)
GDXJ ( ETF )
ABX ( Gold Miner Hedge )
NG ( Small Gold miner Hedge )
I am close to retirement so looking for stable income with higher yielding investments. That generally means investments with yields over 6%. The majority of my list includes Preferred Stocks, BDC, CEF, MLP and REITS. I try to buy and hold and do my best to be patient even in the face of a troubling market. I also try to buy low and to appreciate when market drops so that I can take advantage of lower prices and higher yields.