Smith On Stocks

View Smith On Stocks' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Neuralstem Is Speculative, But Its Work In Stem Cell Therapy Can't Be Ignored [View article]
    The reports on Seeking Alpha that I publish are summaries of extensive reports that I publish on my website. I would urge you to follow this link to the report on my website http://bit.ly/PTY0Yy

The issues that you bring up are somewhat covered in that report. Things can change but right now the ethical and regulatory issues categorize stem cells into embryonic and an all other category called adult stem cells. The issues that you raise and the resultant impact on drug development are now centered on embryonic stem cells. Neuralstem's neural stem cells fall into the adult stem cell category. Again, refer to the report on my SmithOnStocks website for a more in-depth discussion of embryonic and adult stem cells.
    Nov 6 08:44 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    For those looking for more in-depth information, I suggest that you look at the report on my website, the link to that report is http://bit.ly/UfHEe5

This report is a summary of that more comprehensive report.
    Nov 6 06:34 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    When I write on small stocks in which my report might influence a stock move, my policy is not to own the stock when I publish the report. I think that the information in my report and my opinion should be as widely disseminated as possible, before I buy the stock for my account. I do buy positions in all of the stocks that I recommend after my report has had whatever impact it is going to have. I also try to write all of my reports in a manner that tries to lay out the positives and negatives of the story so that the reader can rely on his own decision making and investment experience rather than relying totally on my opinion. I am not the Delphi oracle; I make mistakes.
    Nov 6 06:18 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Initiation Of Coverage On NovaBay With A Buy [View article]
    You don't have a long time to wait to find out if you are right or wrong. The topline results of phase II/III trial in impetigo will probably be released in 2Q, 2013 and the topline results of phase II/III trial in vira; conjunctivitis will probably be released in 2Q, 2013 or 3Q, 2013. These are critical events for the stock.
    Nov 2 01:35 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Pfizer And Teva Settlement On Generic Zyvox A Significant Positive For Trius Therapeutics [View article]
    The settlement was reached in May of 2012. However, the terms were not announced and this note deals with my views on what they might have been.

Small biotechnology stocks trade erratically as you well know and investors sometimes wait for an event to occur before making an investing decision.
    Nov 1 11:28 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Initiation Of Coverage On NovaBay With A Buy [View article]
    Over the last ten years in connection with my business, I have personally called on over 125 biotechnology companies. I actually track over 400 although about half are too small to cover or are in distress. I first called on NovaBay about two years ago and have periodically checked in since then. The reason I chose to write on the company at this time is the large number of clinical trial catalysts coming up in 2013 for NVC-422. There are several opportunities for this company to win and with its small capitalization, this could lead to a significant move in the stock.
    Oct 31 04:03 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Initiation Of Coverage On NovaBay With A Buy [View article]
    I think that your characterization is simplistic and wrong. I suggest that you read my basic report that is published on my website in order to understand the technology and NVC-422. The link is http://bit.ly/SfmTuf

After reading this article, which will take some time, if you still think that you can buy bleach at a drug store and achieve the same effect after reading this article, we can continue the discussion.

However, there is some element of truth in your comments. Bleach, NVC-422 and NeutroPhase all use oxidation to destroy pathogens and bleach is extremely effective as we all know. It has been used for hundreds of years to purify water and pathogens have not developed a resistance pathway. The problem is developing a pharmaceutical based on this oxidation process. The key is coming up with a molecule that has enough stability to be used as a drug.
    Oct 30 03:19 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A.P. Pharma: New Board Member Brings Great Expertise To Possible Launch Of APF530 [View article]
    I think that he is one of the brightest biotechnology investors. You may or may not know that he was a biotechnology analyst on Wall Street before he became a money manager. This gives him a broader exposure and understanding of how to maximize shareholder value than managers who come from the science or finance side. His key role in founding, building and selling Ardea is a convincing example of his abilities.
    Oct 8 08:34 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A.P. Pharma: Refiling Of NDA For APF530 Could Cause Price Strength [View article]
    There are other issues to consider than what you have cited. My thinking on the potential market penetration for APF530 along with excel spreadsheet models on which they are based can be found in my initial report on APPA which can be found on this link.

You should also read my report relating to QTC prolongation with ondansetron at this link.

Oct 6 08:34 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Northwest Biotherapeutics Surges On Perfect Storm Of Short Squeeze, New Buying Interest [View article]
    Computer technology is based on generally predictable laws of physics and mathematics. Biology is chaos. Also computers don't have to do double blind placebo controlled phase III trials. The timelines are much different.

Not all stem cell companies are created equal.
    Oct 2 03:36 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    I am currently preparing a note on stem cell therapy. The promise is unlimited but I have seen based on the experience with other technologies such as monoclonal antibodies that it can take decades to refine the technology and the pioneer companies are not always the winners.
    Oct 2 10:55 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I do research on early stage technologies such as stem cell therapies and cancer vaccines. To spot these companies at an early stage is a complex process that requires knowledge of biology and drug development. I have been doing this for 30 years and the information that I don't know far exceeds what I do. I make lots of mistakes. It is daunting for a newcomer to try to make independent investment judgments.
    Oct 2 09:05 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    My calculation assumes that every option and warrant is converted into common stock. You can go to the initiation report on my website called "Northwest Biotherapeutics' DCVax Cancer Vaccine May Be A Game Changer In Cancer Therapy," the link for which is included in this note in the first paragraph of the section caled Looking at Shares Outstanding for Northwest and Market Capitalization.Under the financial section of that initiation report, you will find my calculations on the number of warrants and options.
    Oct 2 07:39 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    I have done much more work on NWBO and feel more confident in it. That said, their products are variations of the same technology and have produced nearly identical clinical results. Also, they both seem to have viable manufacturing which is so critical to living cell products. I own a little IMUC, but have a much bigger investment in NWBO.
    Oct 1 03:14 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment