SoundView Technology Group

View SoundView Technology Group's Comments BY TICKER:
  • NXT-ID Mobile-Bio Platform Enables M-Commerce [View article]
    I agree that we've yet to discover what kind of digital wallet people will want. I've seen Coin and it's a great video. I think it also validates the fact that people want something! However Coin right now is a video. We need to see it, and all devices including the Wocket in the real world to know how they will or won't work.

As far as the phone is concerned there remain some big challenges there. Not the least of which are 1) power, 2) network access and 3) security. I think the phone will be an extension of purchase options for most people, especially for small purchases but few retailers are set up to handle phone payments and it's going to take time. The power and network access are big issues because you need your wallet to work all the time, no matter where you are or how far from an outlet.

Security is a fairly big topic so I'm going to leave that out but i think that we will also end up with a digital version of our license and passport as well and I would not want everything tied into my phone given the limitations. Maybe in 10 or 15 years but not in the next 4-5.

The other thing here is privacy. Most consumers need or want a way to pay someone without there being a record of it or giving their name or other info. A digital wallet can do this via different forms of digital cash from dollars to bitcoin or any other form of currency.
    Apr 9 08:09 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Michael Lewis' Flawed New Book [View article]
    I don't have to read it to know there's not much there. When he was "shocked" about payment for order flow I could see he was out of touch. That was common practice back in the early 90's when I got in the business.
    Apr 2 02:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry: Has The Bloom Come Off The Rose? [View article]
    The "bloom" was off this "rose" a long time ago. And it's certainly not viewed as a "growth stock." This is a value based/turnaround story at best so spending time looking for revenue growth at this stage is futile.
    Mar 31 03:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • OpenTable Ditching Daily Deals Is A Bad Sign For Groupon [View article]
    This was a helpful article. I checked out Savored.com (owned by GRPN) and can see how it would make sense for restaurants to offer a discount during slow times which is what I see on the site (with OPEN as the reservation system.)

There are also some good points made here about whether or not this market makes sense for promotions and discounts. There's always controversy during restaurant week about the real ROI for owners who do it. Many reduce their menu dramatically to keep from losing a ton of money and then diners are angry because they didn't get the "real deal."

I think restaurants want and could use a kind of CRM system which at one point OPEN was going to be but it hasn't evolved in that direction. Promotions to regular and loyal customers make more sense to many than giving some random piker cheapskate a hit and run deal.

We're going to be interviewing some restaurants over the next three weeks to understand their perspective better.
    Mar 23 11:03 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • dELiA*s Is Poised To Triple [View article]
    I've got no dog in the fight at this point but I was a bit disappointed with the call. She kept pointing out that it's "too early" for forward guidance but offered little to no actual evidence of how the strategy is doing in the demand side (yes inventory steps are taken).

For example some simple facts like "if we look at the sales, turns and margin metrics of a segment of merchandise (or stores) that we have updated we achieved results of xyz versus our overall business." Then you can go on to say that it's just a tiny sliver right now and doesn't mean the trend won't change blah blah.

There was too much "I'm always in the the stores and we're feeling good, etc." To be fair lots of companies don't do a great job talking with investors so it's not a deal killer but one that is *so easy* to do better if you get some coaching and work through it with your general counsel. It's not promises or guidance but some color on what they are seeing in the business more specifically that was missing.

If it works it's just more opportunity for the believers here at $1!
    Mar 21 04:15 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Stay Away From The NephroGenex IPO (And Short It Later) [View article]
    Yeah has a negative bias but doesn't sound like a bad analysis. I didn't see the company roadshow so it's hard to know what the management side of the story is.
    Feb 24 04:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • dELiA*s Is Poised To Triple [View article]
    I think are are some new trends in retail that could help DLIA get out of the mud. I've even noticed established players like NM implementing them. I have to get a clear view on what this new management team is going to do in terms of strategy, innovation and some new ways to grow before I get too excited. Definitely undervalued/turnaround here but I've got a few of those already!
    Feb 24 10:25 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Perceptron's Pivotal Inflection Point Could Lead To 75% Upside In 2014 [View article]
    The stock action reminds you that these small cap names are best played over the long term without over thinking it. If these guys can execute this should be a $30-45 stock over time. It's not whether it trades up to $16 or down to $12 over the next few weeks.

I haven't completed my research and IV model on this name but hope to get that done soon. I thought management did a good job with the ER call. That's a plus in my book. The showstopper in most of these small companies for me is management but this one seems decent. Let the proof be in the execution this year....
    Feb 20 10:36 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Good article. I agree that diversification outside of autos would help the multiple big time. I wonder who their core competition is right now? That could limit growth. Stock is definitely undervalued here.
    Feb 6 02:39 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Exploring Pixelworks' Positioning In Depth [View article]
    Good timing. This has been a good developing story and gave your PTT subs a chance to take profits at $6-ish. Now it's pulled back pretty sharply going into the ER. Obviously somebody doesn't want to own it for that which is likely to make people nervous going in.

I only see one analyst out there with estimates of $15M/6c for this Q. If PXLW can come out of the trough the stock should move up from here. The $111M TEV seems low given the market opportunity. As always management needs to execute here.
    Feb 5 10:18 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What Citron Doesn't Want You To Know About Zillow's Financials [View article]
    It's hard to read into insider selling of this type. They are not paid to hold investments in later stage public companies so should sell without regard to what they think is going to happen to the shares going forward.

Stock has had a nice move from the mid-70's to $90 here as it seems like everyone reiterated their love for the name and how it's a great story. I'm still short and am considering adding a bit to the position given the run.

Their Q4 ER is still a few weeks away but I think that it may be a "sell the news" kind of report.

I gave up the ANGI short too soon so feel like this one deserves some extra patience.
    Jan 12 01:00 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Lightbridge: Check Out This $1.40 Stock Everybody Else Is Ignoring [View article]
    I took a quick look. Most of this info is from the management presentation and the website but it's a fine overview.

On the plus side the management team seems pretty much "wired in" to the industry and has all the connections needed to get something done in this very regulated business.

On the minus side (big one) they haven't even started making these in full size yet so they've not been really tested or used yet. When you try and scale something like this up it can be tricky.

The company and management team seems very promotional for a development stage company. Lots of CNBC time.

I'm taking a pass on this one in terms of doing more work on it. Doesn't mean it won't be a success but there are other tasty fish to fry out there.
    Dec 19 12:56 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Future Of Research Frontiers: Interview With CEO Joseph Harary [View article]
    I noticed this stock is making some impressive new highs. Although it's had a questionable history it would seem that deals with companies like Mercedes validate some level of value for the company.

That said their revenue needs to ramp in order for a rally to be sustainable. If they can demonstrate that this quarter then it's worth a long look.
    Nov 21 02:09 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Cinedigm Content Library - Powering Netflix, iTunes, Amazon And YouTube [View article]
    Finally after a long time I think this name is making it to the radar screen. Way undervalued. If I owned NFLX I'd sell some of that and buy some CIDM which is a key content source.
    Nov 21 01:52 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment