SoundView Technology Group

View SoundView Technology Group's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Increasing Hum Poses Problems For Tesla [View article]
    Cars are kind of special. I don't think there is any car in existence without problems, in some cases serious ones, yet they are still loved and kept if they are good cars. Tesla is one damn good car and most if not all owners will forgive some minor issues. The car won the highest satisfaction ratings ever so I think an article like this is not very useful for either consumers or investors.
    May 19 02:36 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Applied DNA Sciences: An Unique Biotech Company Targeting The Anti-Counterfeiting Market [View article]
    The technology and the market is very intriguing. The management of this firm however is laughable, especially when it comes to finance. The CEO has no clue about how to make money. The main problem is pricing. They think they are in a trillion dollar market so can charge very little since a small portion of such a big market will add up. But it doesn't and they keep losing money.

After awhile you'd like them to say "hey, we are still losing lots of money despite all of our "success" maybe we should reevaluate our model here?"

In a Q&A with investors the CEO either didn't know or didn't understand his current gross margin to talk about it. Talk about a red flag.

If these guys have done a good job on the IP side then someone may buy them out to use this technology inside a better business model.

The only other alternative would be to hire a new CEO or a president with expertise in selling, business development and creating a profitable business. There's a ton of opportunity out there and this company has a really interesting, potentially compelling solution but they are about as effective as a wet paper bag at capturing it.

Having said all that I own a very small position in the company based on their technology. It's basically a small long-term option on either a buyout or a new management team.

Cheers and happy investing to all!
    May 16 10:30 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Harris & Harris's Portfolio Company Files IPO - Metabolon Files For IPO [View article]
    Good update. We have a research report on Metabolon somewhere that we'll republish. Really interesting company. Looking forward to the IPO. The team at H&H does a great job cultivating these investments. Always thought they should trade at a premium to NAV. We'll see how things go from here!
    May 8 07:52 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Glu Mobile Earnings Report Marks Real Progress [View article]
    HOOSIER57: This is a really good point I had not thought of. Yes I think their guidance is conservative for June but if they can make and exceed that without major new releases that's a big deal. Many investors shun some of these companies because they see it as a "hits business" - kind of the problem with KING and Candy Crush.

But if GLUU can show that their platform provides consistent growth with our without new content then they blow through that long-standing objection. I think we've got a real one here... ;-)
    May 2 12:13 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Glu Mobile Earnings Report Marks Real Progress [View article]
    gnulaw - I don't personally feel that the shelf is a bad idea and agree with you that a guy like Eric knows what he is doing. I'm not worried. However I'd say many investors at this point view the filing with mixed emotions, some of them nervous. Gotta provide the full picture!
    May 2 12:09 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sorry Twitter, They're Just Not That Into You [View article]
    Great article on TWTR. Helps that it's right of course! I've never been able to figure out TWTR as a long but didn't take the extra step of considering the short side on it. Too much hype in the tape. But the downtrend is certainly in place.

The market capitalization is still big on this one and it may not be too late to short it even after the sharp sell-off and gap down this morning. If they don't turn it around it still has far to fall.
    Apr 30 07:08 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Good Case For Keating Capital [View article]
    UPDATE: The NAV is now $7.34 as of March 31. The full SA transcript (http://seekingalpha.co...) of the earning call maps out the various moving parts behind changes in NAV.

The call also discusses filed IPO's for TrueCar and Zoosk and views that a large portion of portfolio companies are candidates for liquidity events in the "next four to eight quarters."

Debating the right discount to NAV will go on but I suspect that the absolute value of NAV will increase and the discount will shrink.
    Apr 29 11:20 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Good Case For Keating Capital [View article]
    Fair comment. I think management would agree with you (perhaps not in public) and they are taking steps to increase AUM.

I'm not sure I agree with the 65-70% discount to NAV but hey, that's what makes a market.
    Apr 28 12:21 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Take Profits In Apple And Don't Look Back [View article]
    I think you'll want to own $AAPL for the iPhone 6 product cycle. Probably will be a big one.
    Apr 27 07:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Good Case For Keating Capital [View article]
    TRMR is interesting for sure. Will they turn it around I don't know. The stock does seem cheap. For some reason these video technology stocks have tended not to do well. I don't get much comfort from the TRMR management team but by spending more time with them it might be possible to get more comfortable.
    Apr 27 08:09 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Good Case For Keating Capital [View article]
    Management compensation is an issue with many of these BDC companies. GSVC has been noted for this as well. KIPO would definitely benefit from additional AUM which they may get. I'm not trying to say that KIPO and stocks like it are the best things going but specifically given what is in their portfolio right now, the NAV, and the yield this is a good buy in my opinion. They should report an updated NAV tomorrow (Monday) and it should go up from there.
    Apr 27 08:06 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • ChannelAdvisor: Current Valuation Hard To Justify [View article]
    This is one of the best articles I've read on SA. Fair and balanced with solid valuation perspective. I appreciate that future growth is hard to nail down and valuation multiples can vary widely based on that. Not to mention the market sentiment around these long-term SaaS models.

The stock is down 30% YTD (and about 36% from the high) so the risk/reward is more attractive now.

With an ER release coming soon (May 5th) the shares may be even more volatile. Definitely one for the radar at least!
    Apr 25 09:49 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • NXT-ID Mobile-Bio Platform Enables M-Commerce [View article]
    I agree that we've yet to discover what kind of digital wallet people will want. I've seen Coin and it's a great video. I think it also validates the fact that people want something! However Coin right now is a video. We need to see it, and all devices including the Wocket in the real world to know how they will or won't work.

As far as the phone is concerned there remain some big challenges there. Not the least of which are 1) power, 2) network access and 3) security. I think the phone will be an extension of purchase options for most people, especially for small purchases but few retailers are set up to handle phone payments and it's going to take time. The power and network access are big issues because you need your wallet to work all the time, no matter where you are or how far from an outlet.

Security is a fairly big topic so I'm going to leave that out but i think that we will also end up with a digital version of our license and passport as well and I would not want everything tied into my phone given the limitations. Maybe in 10 or 15 years but not in the next 4-5.

The other thing here is privacy. Most consumers need or want a way to pay someone without there being a record of it or giving their name or other info. A digital wallet can do this via different forms of digital cash from dollars to bitcoin or any other form of currency.
    Apr 9 08:09 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Michael Lewis' Flawed New Book [View article]
    I don't have to read it to know there's not much there. When he was "shocked" about payment for order flow I could see he was out of touch. That was common practice back in the early 90's when I got in the business.
    Apr 2 02:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry: Has The Bloom Come Off The Rose? [View article]
    The "bloom" was off this "rose" a long time ago. And it's certainly not viewed as a "growth stock." This is a value based/turnaround story at best so spending time looking for revenue growth at this stage is futile.
    Mar 31 03:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment