Stan Ackman

View Stan Ackman's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Skullcandy Turnaround Not Likely [View article]
    Charles, thanks for taking my suggestion to take a look at the positive side of SKUL. It is always good to look at both sides of any companies even though different people will almost always have different opinions.

What do you think about the latest female headphone attempt? I feel it is a tiny niche product at most. Especially, this level of differentiation is so easy to copy. Beats can easily roll out a few phones for females if they see the demand there. The first mover advantage is not there.
    Apr 18 11:18 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Regeneron Down 15% From 52-Week High: Buy? [View article]
    There is something called influence when you own substantial stock of a company. Sanofi certainly wants to have influence on REGN. Strategically it makes sense. Cross ownership is so common outside of the US.
    Apr 17 08:42 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Restoration Hardware: 4 Different Insiders Have Sold Shares During The Last 30 Days [View article]
    Acer, if you like TSLA, let's talk about a different example, KORS. It is definitely a fashion plus retail business. How could KORS achieve a so high return of its shareholders? I am sure one day KORS will be out of favor one day, but its shareholders don't have to hold it forever to get a very decent return. The same theory applies to RH.

Don't underestimate a new business model in a mature business. Many large companies come from highly fragmented industries by inventing a business model. All they need to do is to be a little bit better on every thing than their competitors do. Considering RH only has market cap of $2.5B, I don't think it cannot reach the same size as WSM some point.

By the way, I appreciate your concerns although I already know everything you mentioned. The fact that many people have doubts as you have gives RH more potential to go up in the future. I hate to hold a stock that everyone likes.

The bottom line is RH is wining competition by a large margin. I am sure the difference will eventually go away, but this level of momentum will never end in a year.
    Apr 16 05:30 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Exactly. RH is grabbing market share quickly for a reason. Out of all competitors out there, RH's furniture is the only one I have a desire to pay the high price.
    Apr 16 04:31 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Regeneron Down 15% From 52-Week High: Buy? [View article]
    Sanofi developed a few drugs with REGN and they share profits. It makes sense to build this partnership with a few stock holding.
    Apr 16 03:54 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    ACER, there is a hole in your argument. Nobody else has been able to do someting does not mean it cannot be done by someone unique. TSLA is using a direct sale model, which nobody else has been successful before. According to your standard, you should have shorted it a long time ago. Look at the result. Even with the recent pullback. TSLA is still up more than 300% in a year, and it has yet to deliver a profitable year. I hope you have not burned by your shorts. Shorting a early growth company with products that people love is a really bad idea. The valuation may not be cheap for these companies, but their stocks also go up substantially over time.

If you are short RH, I highly advise you to short TSLA.
    Apr 16 03:48 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Readers should note that the biggest selling insider, Carlos Alberini, is the ex-Co CEO of RH. He is now the CEO of Lucky Brand. As an non-executive director, he has no reason to keep that many shares. He should also eventually resign from board of directors and fully exit his shares. So, only reduce ownership by 25% by his is exactly a good thing.
    Apr 16 03:06 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Regeneron Down 15% From 52-Week High: Buy? [View article]
    William, the reason why no much interest in REGN is exactly the reason why REGN is worth buying even at this level. Biologic is not something everyone can understand. Unlike Nvidia and AMD, which many people have exposure, REGN has very limited exposure with most people. The stock is much less covered by the general investing community than many technology stocks.

Stocks like Apple get at least one article published everyday, but they are the stocks that have little alpha left for their investors. These stocks are deeply analyzed and have little mispricing.

Many years ago, I used to only buy well-known good companies. Then, I changed my strategy to less covered small and middle cap companies. The result is so much better. Why do we compete with the crowd?
    Apr 16 02:11 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Tremor Video Bull Case Strengthened Following Review Of First Annual Report [View article]
    I added a few yesterday morning as well. Initially, I plan to buy more only under $3.90. This news changed my mind. So, I grabbed a few more around $3.93. At the end, what moves the direction of this stock is the market (money funds), which highly correlates to FUEL, YUME, etc.
    Apr 16 09:00 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Skullcandy Turnaround Not Likely [View article]
    Charles, I still feel you are too bearish here. You sound like Hoby's speech skill is the only strength SKUL has. As I disclosed, I don't have SKUL any more, but I have a rather neutral opinion towards SKUL going forward. I don't see why SKUL cannot be a profitable company going forward. Meanwhile, I don't see how it can grow at double digit in the long term. What SKUL has is a management team that tries to be different. Since the management took over, SKUL clearly has tried to differentiate itself from others. Yesterday's PR about women's headphones clearly indicates that trend.

The question is whether this level of differentiation will be sufficient for SKUL to enjoy above average return and market share growth. It is, in my opinion, difficult without lots of investment, which SKUL cannot afford now. What SKUL lacks is stronger investment both on R&D and brand building. No to mention that SKUL's brand only appear to a very small group of people. It is very narrowed. Management knows it. They just want to build a niche brand, which will never enjoy a much bigger market cap.

Again, Charles, I think you should also see these positive points. Adding them along with your bearish points will make your statement more convincing. Otherwise, I can see why those Yahoo posters think you are just another pumper and basher. After all, many reasons of your initial buy thesis still have not changed.
    Apr 16 08:55 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Skullcandy Turnaround Not Likely [View article]
    Perfect timing is the most difficult thing to achieve. Overtime, we shall notice our most successful investments often only enjoy so-so timing. Perfect timing happens to me before although really really rarely, and the return from is good but not fantastic.

Your timing of recommendation of SKUL is certainly off by a lot, but at the end, you still make quite a lot good money on it. My timing on SKUL is a little better, but still far from perfect. At the end, SKUL is a typical cigar butt stock anyway. With many better stocks out there now, I have to get rid of it.

I will not get back if SKUL is under $6 again soon. It takes a lot of momentum to get it over $10. If it drops so fast to $6, something must be really wrong. The chance of a second momentum like the first one will take even longer time or never happen.
    Apr 14 11:07 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Good call, Charles. I think what we bet on is the management's execution. It is not too difficult to find the right direction for the company, especially for a seasoned management team. The company is also nimble enough to move to a new direction quickly. That's the advantage to be a small and cash rich company.
    Apr 11 04:53 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BB&T: Williams-Sonoma could nab Restoration Hardware at $90/share [View news story]
    Not completely unreasonable. There are so many executives from RH come from Williams-Sonoma.
    Apr 11 09:53 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Charles, I really don't have patience. I was lucky enough to pay attention to TRMR when it was around $4.20. By the time I decided to buy, it was around $4.10. Obviously, I won't buy everything at once. Soon, it dropped below $4. Anyway, if it really go up to more than $10, there is little difference between average price of $4.4 and $4.

I also do not have a preset target price. My target will change depending on the future development and my best alternative. For now, I don't see any reason it can not be a $6 stock. However, if future information indicates prolonged decline of its competitive advantage, I may sell sooner. Vice versa, if it is on the right track and was not super expansive, why not hold it longer?

The misunderstanding of TRMR is understandable. The whole sector performed pretty poorly. Think about this. Who is the Mr. Market? He is actually the representative of big money managers. They typically pay much less attention to small companies under $500 million market cap. Even if some money managers deal with TRMR, most likely they buy or sell it along with many other stocks belong to the sector, e.g., YUME, FUEL, MM, etc. What TRMR needs is a or a serious of blowout news to draw attention. A reversal of sector sentiment is only needed for the ultimate rebound. I doubt this emerging sector will be dormant for too long.
    Apr 10 08:35 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • SodaStream's Yonah Lloyd Participates In Q&A Session With Investors [View article]
    Seth, thank you for sharing this exclusive information.
    Apr 9 05:27 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment