Stan Ackman

View Stan Ackman's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Diplomat Pharmacy: It's Time For Another Well Timed Equity Raise [View article]
    The key will be the next earnings. If they do not bode well with the long-term success, I won't consider reenter DPLO.
    Jul 27, 2015. 01:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    It looks like a correction on healthcare section is coming. It was the best performing sector YTD. DPLO was only one of the strong performance stock in the sector.

DPLO's next earnings release will be very crucial. It is likely the sentiment on healthcare won't be as bullish at the time. So, any miss will be punished severely.
    Jul 27, 2015. 10:27 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Making Sense Of GoPro's Earnings, Valuation And Future [View article]
    Again, Kevin, just ignore those type of fan boys. It is shame we have to own a stock along with them, but we cannot prevent that from happening.
    Jul 23, 2015. 04:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Making Sense Of GoPro's Earnings, Valuation And Future [View article]
    Kevin, I would suggest you to ignore those naïve fan boys. Unfortunately, every fast growing company attracts naïve fan boys. Do you remember, back to February and March, when the stock was below $50, many people talked about that GPRO has no moat whatsoever and will be beaten by cheap alternatives. None of these people can ultimately determine the stock's direction.

The truth is GPRO will always have competition. It just always needs to be in front of the competition in order to offer extra returns for shareholders. I still believe Woodman and his team are doing a fantastic job to keep the company ahead of competition. So far so good.

I will never say I will invest a company forever. One day, GPRO will surely gradually lose its competitive edge, but it is not today. Today, I keep my shares tight. Once the situation changes, I sell. If you are looking for a stock will always immunize to competition, I bet you will never find one.
    Jul 23, 2015. 03:09 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Making Sense Of GoPro's Earnings, Valuation And Future [View article]
    Kevin, no companies in the world can say they will never have any future competitors. You will never able to find a company free of any competition. Even companies in monopoly industries still have competition from companies offering alternative products or services.

I don't understand the point of your argument.
    Jul 23, 2015. 11:21 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Making Sense Of GoPro's Earnings, Valuation And Future [View article]
    Excellent article, Joe. It is a good idea to warn some less sophisticated investors that GPRO is unlikely to keep 50% growth for many more quarters.

I don't think it is a problem for the stock either. If GPRO can convince the investment community that it can sustain 20%-30% growth for 5 years, GPRO will be able to enjoy an even high valuation.

The key is not about how high the next quarter can grow. Rather, it is about how high the sustainable revenue could be.
    Jul 23, 2015. 10:39 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • GoPro: Momentum Remains Impressive [View article]
    Today's drop is good. The stock has climbed 22% in two weeks prior to the earnings. It is time to cool down a little bit and consolidate for the next run. If anyone is looking for a quick upside immediately after the earnings, he/she is going to be disappointed. The market is smart enough to reflect the earnings before the announcement.
    Jul 22, 2015. 10:02 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • GoPro Unveils Its Premium Content Licensing Portal [View article]
    Still, I am glad that GPRO fulfills its vision. One day no one will doubt GPRO is a media company. That's the time for me to sell.
    Jul 20, 2015. 04:28 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • GoPro Unveils Its Premium Content Licensing Portal [View article]
    I didn't buy more because GPRO is already my largest position by a wide margin. My average cost is low $40, so I don't want to increase that cost.
    Jul 20, 2015. 04:13 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • GoPro Unveils Its Premium Content Licensing Portal [View article]
    Many people including me see this coming. Finally, the stock catches up the trendline. Seriously, I never worried one bit when GPRO corrected from $60 to $50.
    Jul 20, 2015. 04:00 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    I never say $52 will be a ceiling for sure. It is just a discretionary target. Should an analyst upgrade the stock, it may open even higher. Nobody knows for sure where a stock will go. Even a junk stock could occasionally get a rich buyout offer.

You, as a new stock investor, has to manage the risk by yourself. When there are other stocks with 50% gain potential, it is natural to ask yourself whether DPLO only similar potential now. I just don't see that way. I sell.
    Jul 17, 2015. 01:34 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    "it's easy to see and almost pull for negatives once you've sold your position" That's correct. That's why it is good for longs to be exposed with more negative sides so that we are not blind when we enjoy the huge returns.

For me, who sold the shares, I try to look at more positives as well. Hagerman was the main reason I bought the share at the first place. That didn't change regardless the stock was $20 or $50. However, investors, especially nimble retail investors, should not ignore prices. I simply could not expect the same high return for the next 12 months from DPLO. I have other stocks to buy.

The most important thing, however, is fundamental. We simply could not expect the 30% inflation on specialty drugs to continue for the next several years. If it was the case, I would have held the shares and add more when it went down more than 20%.
    Jul 17, 2015. 08:44 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Dallas, I appreciate your nice words again. Actually, your most recent article has an effect on my decision.

My sell means nothing whether DPLO will go up or down the next 6 months. My investing approach is to buy and hold the stocks that could deliver at least 40% return in the next 12 months. Unfortunately, I feel the recent strong run makes DPLO unlikely to warrant such a return in the time frame I just stated.
    Jul 16, 2015. 04:47 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I guess I should disclose more clearly that I have offloaded my DPLO over $51. My cost is low enough to enjoy a 100% return.

I just don't feel DPLO's competitive advantage is sustainable enough to continue demanding such a high valuation. I act with my voice.

There could be still upside, but the downside risk is just so much higher now. I sold it also due to technical reason. The chart is off the trend line by a lot.

If DPLO only went up 50% this year, I would still keep it for better risk/reward. However, it jumped 110% in the last 6 months alone with only less than 50% revenue growth is expected. It means the valuation has doubled.
    Jul 16, 2015. 03:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I think there is a fair chance to get around $40. Again, the sentiment was overwhelmingly positive. When we call making inflated deals with inflated share a competitive advantage, the bubble is in place.

When is there bubble? When bad becomes good.
    Jul 16, 2015. 02:20 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment