Stan Ackman

View Stan Ackman's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Diplomat Pharmacy: Blowout Quarter Confirms The Bull Thesis, Continue To Be Long [View article]
    Bought even more today at $38.80. Glad it works very well now! We shall see green at the end of the day.
    Aug 21, 2015. 01:59 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Coach's FQ4 Proves It Is Still In Big Trouble [View article]
    The long KORS, short COH strategy is one of the few pair trade ideas I like. Coach has a big design issue. I don't think the current creative director will make it. I won't be surprised that he will step down in the next 24 months.
    Aug 21, 2015. 10:45 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I always feel $40 is a great entry point to get on DPLO again. At the end, the fundamental is too good for me to wait for that price point. I ended up bought back DPLO higher than $40 after I sold it at $51.

Still, the massive correction is a board growth stock based correction. (mutual funds just reduced their position in every single growth stock regardless of fundamental) There is no DPLO or pharmacy related bad news. Typically, this means a great buying opportunity. DPLO has no international exposure at all. Whatever happened to China or Europe has nothing to do with the company's fundamental. The company also does not rely on the capital market to bring liquidity.
    Aug 21, 2015. 09:50 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Cvent: Technical Breakout, Positive Revised Guidance Should Bring Upgrades [View article]
    Thanks for the update, Dallas. I always suspect when CVT's growth accelerates to 40%, its stock will start to show real upside move. It happened. The key is the company is a leader in a potential big industry, meaning higher margin of safety.
    Aug 20, 2015. 01:21 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Jefferies sees Coach turnaround taking hold [View news story]
    I disagree with your both points.

1) Gross margin number itself means nothing. COH and KORS basically do the same thing. COH is able to keep high gross margin by offering inferior products with similar price. That's why COH has seen its comps number at high double digit negative for years. (very few people are willing to pay same price for inferior products.) Eventually, COH will have to lower its gross margin to show comps growth.

2) COH is more shareholder friendly on paper. But when the company "helped" its shareholder lose money for 4 consecutive years, I don't consider the company shareholder friendly at all. Should COH reinvest/reinvent itself a few years ago by declaring no dividend, its shareholders may not be in this miserable shape now.
    Aug 18, 2015. 01:12 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Jefferies sees Coach turnaround taking hold [View news story]
    Just add a bit background with this analyst. While he gives COH a PT of $50, implying about 56% upside, he gives KORS a PT of $90, implying 109% upside. Should we really trust his PT? I doubt any these two stocks will even reach close to the PTs in the next 3 years. Meanwhile, on a relative basis, KORS is so much more attractive than COH.
    Aug 18, 2015. 09:00 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Chesapeake Has Likely Bottomed From Here [View article]
    You are the master. :)
    Aug 13, 2015. 04:52 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Diplomat Pharmacy: It's Time For Another Well Timed Equity Raise [View article]
    You are wrong, my friend. It is not 12% drop in price that promotes me to buy it back. Rather, it is the new information I got from the earnings CC. Margin of safety is never just about price. My earlier statement was before the earnings.
    Aug 12, 2015. 11:54 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    I bought back all the DPLO this morning. The China rout has nothing to do with DPLO. The stock is slaughter for technical reason.

The main reason I come back is the fundamental strength of the company is proved once again from the latest earnings. Phil is an excellent CEO, who still owns almost half of the company. His vision will always be there to lead the company to the next growth target.

What's more? The latest slump after I sold the stock at $51 actually help the stock go back to the trend line. That's a very important reason for keeping the stock. It has not got near into a bubble type pattern.
    Aug 12, 2015. 10:38 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Chesapeake Has Likely Bottomed From Here [View article]
    tizod,

You didn't get my core point. If CHK is a company that can survive natural gas downturn for 5 years, it is an investment opportunity. However, it is not. Its weak balance sheet (tremendous off balance obligation) makes it impossible to survive that long with selling most of its valuable assets.

Read my comment again. My point is buying CHK now is betting on the natural gas price going up quickly. Once your "investment" depends something to happen under a short time frame, then it is gamble.
    Aug 12, 2015. 09:11 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Michael Kors And The Buzz That Was [View article]
    I totally disagree with this short and superficial article. Apparently, the author understands little about the fashion industry. I don't think the author will deny it. All this article doing is copying a few earnings release/CC sentences and reaching a conclusion. What has the author done? Did he bother to test whether Coach indeed introduced styles that resonate with its customers and whether Coach indeed has low discounts.

The fact is while Coach offers new styles and reduced discounts from a very high level, its new styles are so much more ugly than KORS' and its discount level is still much higher than KORS'.

As a previous KORS bear (I have been bearish on KORS when the stock price was between $100 and $50), I feel the sentiment of KORS has turned the corner. Just look at the performance of these two stocks after earnings. Dividend? If a stock can simply outperform its peer just because it has dividend. Investing will be the easiest job in the world.
    Aug 12, 2015. 08:42 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Chesapeake Has Likely Bottomed From Here [View article]
    It is a good gambling idea rather than a good investing idea. If natural gas price rebounds much faster expected, you win the gamble. Otherwise, you lose the gamble. That's it.
    Aug 11, 2015. 03:35 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Market Warms Up To Chesapeake Energy's Q2 Results [View article]
    It is just a dead cat rebound. The recent rebound pulled the stock back to trendline. $9 is the resistance. CHK is likely to resume its down trend.
    Aug 11, 2015. 08:44 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Cvent: Taking Social To The Next Level [View article]
    Finally, CVT broke out. I always suspect the time will happen when CVT's growth accelerates to 40% Y/Y.
    Aug 10, 2015. 03:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 'Smart Money' Keeps Buying Cheap Shares Of J.G. Wentworth [View article]
    Sure. I sold JGW during the earnings release 3 months ago. Originally, I plan to sell shares at $9.5, but the price quickly dip below $9 at the opening. Later, the share rebounded to around $10.3. I quickly sold all my shares at $10.2. What a luck! I have no idea why someone would push the price to $10 again amid such terrible results.

So, overall, I am not unhappy at all to see the share at $5. The company has extremely complex operations. The current GAAP accounting does not reflect the company's fundamental. For me, the company is not worth investing at any price.

Again, I am lucky to get out with a small overall gain. (I made good money on this stock last year by rolling from $11 to almost $14) Still, I agree with you that it is unwise to blindly follow "smart money". For example, CHK is another smart money stock bought by Carl Icahn. However, the stock dropped more than 50% since his last purchase. High financial leverage companies can become falling knives easily. It is a good idea for most investors to stay away from them.
    Aug 10, 2015. 08:36 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment