Stan Stafford

View Stan Stafford's Comments BY TICKER:
  • My Top Textiles And Apparel Stocks For 2015 [View article]
    PVH owns the brands, GIII does has fasion liscenses for both though. And yes, I believe GIII is one of the companies rumored to have interest in a KORS purchase.
    Jun 24, 2015. 10:19 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ranking The DOW Dividends [View article]
    Thanks for your comment. I plan on doing something similar for my portfolio in terms of tracking performance. I want to try and break it down in multiple areas such as dividend growth and stock performance and compare it against similar companies to gauge overall success.
    Jun 8, 2015. 10:56 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ranking The DOW Dividends [View article]
    Thanks for your comment, although I'm not quite sure how the article is misleading. The point of the article was to look closely at the dividend of each stock and I made it clear that this should just be a starting point towards looking at any of the companies as a future investment.
    Jun 8, 2015. 10:53 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ranking The DOW Dividends [View article]
    Thanks for your comment. I definitely believe any scoring system or ranking like this should just be a first step towards any type of investment decision. I agree with your assessment of GE and the frozen dividend is the main reason I called it out as one of the two stocks from this group I would recommend not investing in solely because of the dividend.
    Jun 8, 2015. 10:49 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ranking The DOW Dividends [View article]
    I obtained the payout ratios from morningstar. For articles in which I include several companies (5 or more), I usually don't do the calculations myself and rely on either morningstar or ycharts for that data. I haven't had a problem with this in the past, but when I have time, I will calculate to verify that number. Here is the link, to the morningstar page I used for the payout ratio info (it's the TTM value): http://bit.ly/1MBLhlS
    Jun 8, 2015. 10:46 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ranking The DOW Dividends [View article]
    Thanks for your comment. I hold GE because I bought it several years ago and at a much lower price. I'm up over 60% on my original investment and as long as the current dividend doesn't get cut, I will most likely never sell.

As others have already noted below, for the lower scoring stocks, I would recommend just holding them. For those looking for new investments, I believe the scoring system is a useful tool for gauging stocks that you might want to take a much closer look at before investing. For instance, while I am happy to own and continue holding GE, I would not buy the stock today as I feel there are much better options currently available.
    Jun 8, 2015. 10:40 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ranking The DOW Dividends [View article]
    Thanks for the comment. I can honestly say I don't know how they are going to turn around these issues, but I can say that I have a strong belief that they will. The company had similar cash flow issues around 95-98 and turned things around. IBM continues to make several acquisitions and evolve. The company has been doing it for over 100 years and in that industry that's pretty impressive. I believe it will continue moving forward and remain a solid long term investment.
    Jun 8, 2015. 10:35 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ranking The DOW Dividends [View article]
    Thanks for you comments. I agree with your opinion regarding the 5 to 10 year time frame. When looking at dividends, I believe investors are looking at time frames of that nature or most likely even longer. That's why I feel that the company's revenue problem is a concern, but not a huge problem at this moment. If you go back and look historically, there have been several times in which the company has seen negative to flat revenue growth over a period of years before seeing significant growth. I have no reason to believe that the company's dividend growth is in danger of slowing time in the near future. Of course, that is something that needs to continue being evaluated over time.
    Jun 8, 2015. 10:29 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Top Multiline Retail Stocks For 2015 [View article]
    Thanks for the comment. I agree and feel that M will continue to see future success.
    Apr 27, 2015. 09:10 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Top Personal Products Stocks For 2015 [View article]
    Thanks for the comment. I've looked pretty closely at NUS and I don't consider it a pyramid scheme. I know that some people consider all multi-level marketing companies to be in that category, I do not. It is not a stock I would recommend as a buy and hold, but I do think it is the kind of stock that works well for short term plays. I feel that the company currently has some positive momentum that will drive the stock price higher, but I guess we will see at year's end.
    Apr 27, 2015. 09:08 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Top Life Sciences Tools And Services Stocks For 2015 [View article]
    Ryan, Thanks for the comment. I agree with your thoughts. When I write these 'quick picks and lists' articles, that is the intention I have. Basically I use the financial metrics and related scores to narrow down the list of stocks to a manageable number and then take a closer look at each of the remaining stocks to pick the ones that I think would be best suitable for investors to do their own research on if interested in a possible purchase.
    Apr 23, 2015. 12:00 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Top Electronic Equipment Instruments And Components Stocks For 2015 [View article]
    Thanks for reading and commenting on the article. I took into account the balance sheet of all stocks reviewed in step 6. Also, the fundamental score calculated by ycharts takes into account certain balance sheet related items such as debt and cash flow of the company.
    Apr 1, 2015. 12:53 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Disney's Movie Strategy: Does McFarland, USA Fit? [View article]
    McFarland actually had a better opening weekend than Project Almanac and will likely gross more in the long run. Also, any sports film it makes can easily be cross-promoted with ESPN. I know Costner was promoting the film on there the other day.
    Feb 23, 2015. 11:50 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • March debut for Coca-Cola's high-end milk product [View news story]
    I think it will perform fairly well. If Walmart and other grocers can sell Bolthouse Farms juices at $4 a quart, then I think they will be able to sell this product too.
    Feb 4, 2015. 02:57 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • My Top Airline Stocks For 2015 [View article]
    Thanks for the comment! I do like CPA as a long term buy, I just like the other airlines better in terms of expected returns for 2015. One thing I haven't looked into is how CPA is hedged against oil prices. That is something to definitely consider for those considering investment in the stock to help determine just how much CPA will benefit from the current low oil prices.
    Jan 3, 2015. 09:30 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment