Stan Stafford

View Stan Stafford's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Dividend Champions Ranking: Part 1, The Heavyweights [View article]
    Great point. I will make sure to cite him in future parts of this series of articles. (I'm used to several people already knowing David Fish as the creator of the dividend champions list, that I didn't even think about mentioning it in my article).
    Apr 15 11:14 PM | 17 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Champions Ranking: Part 1, The Heavyweights [View article]
    You make some great points. I will definitely be looking to adjust and improve the metric systems I use to gauge stocks as I continue my writing. Lagging indicators will most likely continue playing a large role in my analysis, but finding a great way to take into account overall market conditions is definitely worthwhile. I'm not sure if just extending the time period of earnings, revenue, and dividend growth from 5 years to 10 years would alleviate those issues, but I think it would help. Will definitely put some more thought into this for future series. Based on the comments/feedback from this series of articles, I may tackle the Dividend Contenders next, and will be looking to update my metric system to take into account some of these factors.
    Apr 16 09:26 AM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Best Dividend Growers, Part 2: Coach [View article]
    I understand the points you are making, but I wouldn't have recommended COH at/near its all-time high 24 months ago. And I fully understand why the dividend yield is currently high.

If you believe COH will continue to fall in price then yes, it's a stock you should definitely avoid. I don't feel that the stock will continue its slide, and believe its close to a bottom.

The company saw a similar slide in late 08/early 09 and recovered. I think the company will recover once again and believe now is a good buying opportunity for long term investors.
    May 8 09:21 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Coca-Cola Stays Flat With Limited Upside [View article]
    Good article. While I agree with the underlying 'hold' call, I don't think you are giving KO enough credit for some of the changes they are making. It is broadening/updating its products for Powerade, Vitamin Water, Minute Maid, as well as its energy drink lines.
    Nov 27 03:13 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Best Dividend Growers, Part 17: Ensco [View article]
    njbother, thanks for the comment.

SDRL was left out simply because it is not part of the S&P 500. In this series of articles, I have been looking strictly at stocks that are included in the S&P 500. I will be sure to make that more clear in my 'overview' section of future articles of this series.
    Jun 1 02:51 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Personal Dividend Objectives Versus The Market Environment [View article]
    Good article with a common sense approach. Personally, I like to shoot for an average 5% yield with my dividend portfolio. There are some solid stocks available that do have higher yields between 8%-10%. You mix a few of those with some other high yielding dividend stocks such as PM, T, etc. that have dividends between 4%-6%, and then include some high growing dividend stocks that have lower yields of 2%-3%.
    May 13 03:16 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Truth About The Impact Of Dividend Reinvesting [View article]
    Great article! Really like the section that discussed reinvesting dividends in a stock that continues depreciating. I think that is a key that many dividend investors don't consider. There are definetely right and wrong times to reinvest dividends in a particular stock.
    Apr 11 06:03 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Pengrowth Energy: A 7% Yield With Long-Term Upside [View article]
    I bought a small position last year at $5.12 and recently sold at $6.66. I may repurchase a similar position if the stock once again falls under $6. I believe there remains a strong possibility for nice returns from this stock is Lindberg project plays out well.
    Aug 12 05:12 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Legacy Reserves And Southcross Energy: 2 High-Yielders To Avoid [View article]
    Thanks for the kind suggestion! With both Legacy and Southcross trading at more than twice their book value, I don't consider either great values, but I did not trash them. I presented evidence of their past revenues, earnings, dividends, and returns and came to the conclusion that these stocks should be for income investors only. Investors looking for price appreciation IMO would be best served looking elsewhere. If you disagree with that opinion, fine, but in no way did I trash Legacy or Southcross Energy or present false information.
    Mar 28 05:58 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Kauffmanch, thanks for commenting and for providing relevant and useful data. Perhaps I should have included more information in this article. Had I been writing a detailed article on 1 stock I definitely would hav added much of this, but for quick pick/list articles, I try to keep the information at a higher level as I feel they are a springboard for investors to perform their own research against. I do realize management's stake in the company and its position on IDRs. I mentioned in the article that Legacy has an impressive dividend ("distribution") with steady high yields and significant growth. The management/IDR info. would have just argued that point further. I assume people reading about MLPs understand the tax deferral benefits associated with them, so I don't feel the need to discuss them in every article that looks at MLPs. Fair point concerning the acquisitions, I guess I should have added more context there. As far as your last point, I thought I made it clear in the conclusion of the article that I thought both Legacy and Southcross were worth looking at for income investors, but I would not recommend them for investors looking for price appreciation. At second thought, I think a better title would have been more fitting. I will continue to try and improve my articles as I continue writing more pieces. Thanks again.
    Mar 28 05:05 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • This 7% Yielding Oil And Natural Gas Producer Deserves The Attention Of Income Investors [View article]
    I like this stock as well and added some shares last week at $6.03. I'm not expecting much of an increase in the stock this year, but think it will really take off in 15/16. I'm fine with collecting the monthly dividend and adding more shares at these low prices until then.
    Mar 19 02:48 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Armour Residential cuts monthly payout by 28.5%. [View news story]
    Yeah, i don't get it. I included it in one my low-priced stocks to avoid articles a couple of months ago and had several defenders of the stock telling me how wrong I was. If you take a look at just about every single way you can analyze/judge a stock, ARR has steadily gotten worse and worse in just about every area yet some people want to continue buying for that double digit yield even when they are down 50% or more in the stock.
    Sep 19 08:46 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Hasbro Vs. Mattel: Which Stock Is The Best Long-Term Buy? [View article]
    I agree. I think Mattel is the better value at the moment, but I think both are worth considering.
    May 20 11:25 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Best Dividend Growers, Part 8: Intel [View article]
    Thanks for the comment! Not sure what happened there, but I think I somehow deleted the end of that sentence on accident. The rest of the sentence was, '... are the best suitable buying options for income investors out of this group of stocks.'
    May 15 09:15 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Best Dividend Growers, Part 7: Pfizer And AbbVie [View article]
    Yeah, that's a great point. That will have a much bigger impact on shareholders who have long term positions. But is something worth considering for new positions as well.
    May 14 10:58 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment