Stan The Man

View Stan The Man's Comments BY TICKER:
  • WSJ's Apple / Comcast Story Not Accurate, News Being Overblown On Wall Street [View article]
    In this day and age its hard to conceive of an American adult who opines on complex business issues but can say "I have never bought, sold or traded a single share of stock in any public company ever. "

So you keep your money in bitcoins? A checking account? Gold coins? CD's? Cash under the mattress?
    Mar 24 07:57 PM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Advanced Cell Technology: Look For A Breakthrough In 2014 [View article]
    Lots of companies screw up their accounting for stock options. A few years ago, Steve Jobs was called on the carpet for Apple's treatment of stock options (you could look it up!). What's important to recognize is that this company does not trade on book value or earnings per share or anything that is affected by this correction of prior results. There is no net cash effect. This is a big non-issue.

What counts for investors in this stock are (1) will their FDA trials for AMD and Stargardts be successful and will they get approval, (2) might they be close to ending their initial trials already, and could they get breakthrough treatment from FDA, (3) will a large pharmaceutical company come along and throw money at them (buyout or partnership)? If any of these happen, the stock will FLY.
    Mar 11 03:05 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Advanced Cell Technology: Look For A Breakthrough In 2014 [View article]
    I am not the expert, but many people think FDA might grant "breakthrough" status for this treatment before further testing, allowing the treatment to be commercialized immediately. The trial now coming to an end has already provided evidence of efficacy and the treatment is sorely needed by large numbers of people who cannot afford to wait (and no other treatment exists).
    Mar 5 03:32 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bloomberg: New Apple TV set-top on tap, TWC talks ongoing [View news story]
    I'm a cable TV with DVR customer, not a Netflix person.

A deal with a link to a big content supplier could be interesting. There is great discontent with providers and their high and ever increasing prices. So it wouldn't take much to get me to switch providers.
    Feb 12 04:01 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Advanced Cell Technology: Look For A Breakthrough In 2014 [View article]
    I assume you were mocking me, but it does seem we are due for some announcement about this study soon, and I do think there will be a media frenzy if the study results are positive. Maybe it won't be Monday night, but it does seem like it should be soon.

I've been a buyer and holder of ACTC for almost a year, and the stock has done nothing until now. Still, I've been biding my time until these results were announced. Meantime, I've watched the marijuana stocks fly with little or no obvious prospects for profits, based solely on hopes and prayers. Look at the charts for MJNA and PHOT, two stocks I've been following. I'm hoping for a similar response from ACTC if and when we get some good news.
    Jan 30 09:01 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Advanced Cell Technology: Look For A Breakthrough In 2014 [View article]
    I thought it was 9:00 pm. Not sure. Morgan Freeman narrates the show.
    Jan 30 02:56 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Advanced Cell Technology: Look For A Breakthrough In 2014 [View article]
    They previously got shareholder approval for a reverse stock split of up to 1:100. So presumably that will be put into effect sometime later this year.
    Jan 30 02:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Advanced Cell Technology: Look For A Breakthrough In 2014 [View article]
    No, never did. Never saw him play, either, but was always impressed by what I heard of him.

You're right that Monday's Discovery channel show was filmed earlier. However, if I understand some documents referenced in one of the comments, the current Phase I study was supposed to conclude in January, 2014. That makes it at least possible that the show may discuss some early results of the study (e.g., the one or more patients previously reported to regain 20-40 eyesight), but be timed to air only after the study had concluded. Maybe not, but seems possible. Even if the show does not discuss this research, it seems likely the study results will be reported in the near future.

Also, press reports circulated widely yesterday regarding recent research suggesting it may become easier to generate stem cells using some sort of acid wash treatment. The relevance is not completely clear to me, but it seemed like a significant discovery, and the reports sought out Bob Lanza for comment (and noted his affiliation with ACTC).

At some point soon, this work, Lanza and ACTC will get splashed across the world press...
    Jan 30 11:02 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Organovo +16% even as report says 3D printing of organs could be banned [View news story]
    Why is it relevant in this blurb to mention that there "may be" calls to ban 3D organ printing, if and when human organs are shown to be 3D printable?

ONVO is just at the beginning of an effort to print 3D human liver tissue to be used for researching of drugs and similar applications. That's where their current commercial focus is. That's the product they are just starting to deliver.
    Jan 29 11:09 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Advanced Cell Technology: Look For A Breakthrough In 2014 [View article]
    A post to the Knoepfler Lab Stem cell blog yesterday confirms that the Discovery Channel spent a day last summer filming a special episode on stem cells that will air on February 3 on an episode of Through the Wormhole, narrated by Morgan Freeman. The post states "the show will also feature Stephen Hawking as well as Bob Lanza of Advanced Cell Technology. It's exciting to be in a show with such illustrious company!"
    Jan 28 11:36 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Advanced Cell Technology: Look For A Breakthrough In 2014 [View article]
    Have been buying more ACTC for the past year based on similar thoughts, so love the article!

One thing that impressed me when I read the SEC filings was that employees seem to have their own options priced around 6 cents, not lower. At these prices, we investors are getting in at the same ground floor price.
    Jan 27 10:51 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Some Math On ACAS' Capital Returns [View article]
    I like the thesis and have been long for awhile. Still, I wonder why some private equity firm or other big player doesn't step in and buy it. Seems to me it would be a good fit for somebody like Blackstone.
    Jan 22 10:15 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 Major Catalysts For Apple In 2014 [View article]
    They have 3 parts in the new iPad and are a significant supplier to Apple. That 0.47% is probably wrong. Maybe they reported their sales as being made to Foxconn.
    Jan 16 01:25 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 Major Catalysts For Apple In 2014 [View article]
    What nobody seems to be talking about is the chance for a giant pop in Apple shares tomorrow, January 17.

Skyworks (SWKS) reports earnings after the close tonight (Thursday, Jan. 16). They are a significant Apple supplier that has been knocking the cover off the ball recently. If they blow away estimates, investors will figure out tonight that Apple will blow away its estimates next week. Stay tuned!
    Jan 16 11:56 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Organovo +1.5% as 3D printing of blood vessels goes to clinical trials [View news story]
    I noted in commenting on a separate article that Nestle has begun purchasing human cells to test their food products and presumably food additives. I suppose they are interested in both toxicity and allergic responses.

Does anyone doubt such tests would be facilitated by a 3-D human tissue sample?
    Jan 10 02:02 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment