Stanley Barton

View Stanley Barton's Comments BY TICKER:
  • 15% Bump As Truett-Hurst Swings Into Profitability [View article]
    Thanks for the update.

I was pleasantly surprised to see the strong sales growth. Frankly, I bought in some time ago because I considered THST to be "hidden value stock." Today it sells at $6 and has more than $3/share in cash, more than $2/share of wine in the cellar, and the 26 acres in Sonoma Valley on the books at only about $100k per acre. There is a $3.2MM (<$0.46 per share) mortgage on the land, that is due in 2022. Other debt is insignificant.

I am happy to start looking at this one as a "Defensive" growth stock.
    Feb 7, 2014. 10:50 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ambarella Looks Like A Short [View article]
    Lightened up after Google announcement...an unexpected blip.

Noticed when momentum started bringing it back SA started pumping this article. Momentum is too powerful in this one...right or wrong, it will not stay down.

FURTHERMORE..at upcoming earnings day...30% revenue growth, PE 25, about $5 per share in cash, no debt.

PE would be about 15 actually if AMBA did not plow so much cash back into R&D to stay ahead of competition. The reference to competition is to placate shareholders who may prefer not so much R&D...gotta think a squeeze is inevitable.

Just my opinion.
    Feb 5, 2014. 03:00 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Elecsys: A Compelling Micro Cap Strategically Positioned For Growth In The Internet Of Things [View article]
    My preference in the sector is MIXT. About the same price as ESYS, but more than twice as much cash flow per share, better balance sheet (about $2.82 per share in cash and only $ .24 per share in debt, while ESYS only has $ .13 in cash, but $ .71 in debt). ESYS for now has higher revenue growth (19% vs 11%, but most of MIXT is RECURRING revenue to build on in the future with high margins, since the sales costs have already been expended.

Both look undervalued compared to the market.
    Jan 29, 2014. 07:54 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • A Glimpse At Our Small Cap Biotechnology Portfolio [View article]
    hashultz,

Biocon Limited, the largest biotech distributor in India and Asia (market cap of 93B) mentioned yesterday in its quarterly report that there "has seen very enthusiastic uptake of Cytosorb filters, a novel therapy for sepsis that we had launched last quarter." Probably the reason for the jump today. Not typical for a giant international to mention such a small company product in its quarterly report. The link:

Stan
    Jan 22, 2014. 09:57 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Glimpse At Our Small Cap Biotechnology Portfolio [View article]
    haschultz,

The price began jumping after the letter from the CEO on January 15. This article probably contributed some yesterday. Today's action is extreme...maybe a short squeeze. We are holding, since we are in for the long-term, but at this point I think a new investor might want to wait for this to settle back. CTSO still has 50% from here to meet the Zach's target of $.50 for this year, but it may take some months to get there.

Glad your on board, and I hope that the CEO Chan was on track with his comments about the product getting traction and having to "ramp up" production.

Stan
    Jan 22, 2014. 09:26 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Glimpse At Our Small Cap Biotechnology Portfolio [View article]
    betchawewin,

Thanks for reading my article.

Politics aside, it is always a consideration that reimbursement for treatments will be fair for new drugs or treatments. In that regard, I think it is fair to say that generic drugs, such as IG products, should continue to be preferred. Also, relatively cheap treatments by CTSO should not have problems with reimbursement, especially since more often than not this is an ICU treatment. DVAX is in the Hep B vaccine business, and preventive medicine is also favored under the Affordable Care Act. Cardica makes medical instruments that are less invasive and suitable for robotic surgery, so that should work with lower cost initiatives of the ACA, although subject to added medical instrument tax treatment. I am not sure about the final cost or reimbursement for GALE and CYTX, since these are new technologies and it is difficult to know how they will be reimbursed.

Hope this helps,

Stan
    Jan 22, 2014. 03:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Glimpse At Our Small Cap Biotechnology Portfolio [View article]
    crimsonbey,

IG has doubled in a few months, and is due for some consolidation. I think that if the FDA approvals do not start coming through in the next few months it will probably settle lower. However, we are holding...if they get two or three new drug approvals in a short time we would be chasing this one. I think eventually that will happen.

Thanks for reading.

Stan
    Jan 21, 2014. 10:53 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Fleetcor Is A Better Investment Than Visa And MasterCard [View article]
    The Walmart connection is well known and the Amex competition has not stopped double digit growth in GDO revenues, even though it has been around for more than a year. AMEX is losing that war, because GDOT has more options for consumers. That said, AMEX is still doing really well, which should indicate good earnings for GDOT on Jan. 30.

One of these prepaid cards will be in bed with WMT so ask yourself, would you rather it be the one you own or a different one? GDOT is in Kroger, Walgreen, etc. and in last earnings report indicated its exposure to WMT is decreasing each month.

Congrats on good move in traditional card stocks today.
    Jan 17, 2014. 03:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Fleetcor Is A Better Investment Than Visa And MasterCard [View article]
    Thanks for the article, but I can't get on board. If I am going into a card investment it is GreenDot (GDOT) as valuation is better than those mentioned here. For instance, GDOT is about $24 per share with $3 in cash flow, as opposed to FLT with $110 per share and cash flow of $3.80. FLT growth consensus is higher and all have competition problems, but at least GDOT has a technology moat.

Just my opinion.
    Jan 15, 2014. 12:37 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Refreshing Our Best-Of-The-Best Dividend Portfolio [View article]
    Juba104

I do plan to update the dividend portfolio, and am screening some candidates. I will definitely keep BME...they have so many accrued gains that I am fairly sure they will not be paying any "return of capital" and keep paying the big year-end distribution.

Stan
    Jan 14, 2014. 01:29 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Two Crazy-Cheap $5 Stocks To Benefit From China's Initiatives For Its Middle Class [View article]
    slegermark

Thanks for reading my article. I think the small China stocks will do well in 2014.

Stan
    Jan 8, 2014. 11:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Tax Sale Bargain: NetSol Technologies [View article]
    Leom,

Thanks for your insight. I think that NetSol and many other small caps can improve their reporting. My issue with both short attacks and pumpers is that they only focus on isolated parts of the business to make a case pro or con. A totally one-sided article is not helpful to readers.

Stan
    Dec 30, 2013. 03:43 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Tax Sale Bargain: NetSol Technologies [View article]
    DAG1996

Thanks. Regarding these hatchet jobs, the more bombastic the language the fewer real facts are involved. The use of "potential" in the headline tells me the short-seller was aware he was on thin ice with his implications. However, these articles do provide investors a chance to look at important grey areas in growth micro-caps in developing markets that often do not receive any attention from pumpers: growing accounts receivable, book value exaggerations, etc.

Stan
    Dec 30, 2013. 12:16 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Tax Sale Bargain: NetSol Technologies [View article]
    kburttscher

Thanks for reading. I think that the entrepreneurial spirit requires constant effort to find growth in the business, and I salute the management for that initiative. I also am aware that entrepreneurs sometimes try new things because they cannot leave well enough alone a successful operation. Like I mentioned in the article, when I have carved a little amount of funds from portfolios for speculative small caps, I prefer shooting for the moon, even though there is high risk that it may not work out. However, one winner makes up for several losers.

In the case of NTWK, they are country diversified, working with stable clients and just scratching the surface of leasing applications in developing markets. At least there is reason to believe that the company knows they have a good probability of success.
    Dec 30, 2013. 12:03 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Tax Sale Bargain: NetSol Technologies [View article]
    trackxyj

Thanks for reading the article and for your comments. Actually, I agree that NetSol has probably outgrown the auditor, which specializes in smaller companies and has a Pakistan background. Like I said, the company culture is relationships, which is a virtue when operating in developing markets, and the management is being true to form with sticking with a small auditor, right or wrong. As for the short sellers implication that there is some collusion because the principal of the auditor and NTWK management both belong to a Pakistan development council...well, kind of like saying there is something fishy because two companies both belong to the Chamber of Commerce.
    Dec 30, 2013. 11:41 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment