Stanley Barton

View Stanley Barton's Comments BY TICKER:
  • The Sandstorm Gold Plunge: Warning Or Opportunity? [View article]
    Thanks for reading my article.

In an IRA account you have to have 100% of the underlying stock value as margin. In my non-IRA option account I only have to put up 10% on SAND.

Stan
    Feb 22 03:04 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Sandstorm Gold Plunge: Warning Or Opportunity? [View article]
    Thank you for the comment.

In the past two years it has been helpful to us to monitor AUQ as a representative of specifically small to mid-size Canadian miners. We mostly deal with those size firms. GDX is a better representation of larger global miners. "Benchmark" probably was not the correct word.

Having said that, you are correct that watching any single company will at times distort the action due to company-specific situations.

Thanks for reading my article.
    Feb 20 04:56 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Advice For The Lovelorn Investor: 2 Stocks That Cherish Shareholders [View article]
    Thanks for reading my article and the kind words.

I will keep snooping around for some goodies. These unknowns are pretty risky normally, but if you are looking long-term, they often play out well.

Stan
    Feb 15 04:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks for the kind words.

For freelance writers, it is not very profitable to write about obscure little companies, because nobody goes to those companies' web pages anyway. I do not really expect to make a lot of money on my writing. I have noticed when I did a newsletter in the 1980's that my investment analysis becomes more clear to me as I write out the pros and cons for a stock, so the articles develop naturally. I just try to add some creativity so readers will stick with it to the meaty part of the investment rationale.
    Feb 15 04:52 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks for reading my article.

I am skeptical of every stock I seriously look at. You may have surmised from this piece that I have been burnt by some seemingly transparent managements in my day, and you cannot avoid that completely in this game.

To answer your question, the numbers for Compton may be inflated, but those were not prepared by MFC. I am probably more curious about the Pea Ridge Mine property that was acquired last year. Seems that there was a lot of excitement and then nothing. I do know that getting an official resource assessment takes time, as well as feasibility studies. I am a long-term investor, so I am not in a big hurry to see the Pea Ridge investment play out, but for now the MIL investors or taking a leap of faith on that one. I did not include that in the article as I simply am not expecting anything form that in the near future, and if there is short-term good news it will be a bonus.

If there is an area to question the accounting it is in the acquisitions; however, the core businesses are pretty transparent and profitable, and those alone justify the dividend and current valuation.
    Feb 15 04:45 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Acme Delivers Jet-Propelled Growth With Innovative Products... Beep! Beep! [View article]
    Thank you for reading my article and the good comments.

I am expecting a good 4th quarter earnings report to be issued pretty soon. Although the 4th quarter is normally a slow quarter, it seems the knife sales are taking off well at places that sell guns. I think the value, dividend and stability of the company has made this a pretty good place to park some money. I have plenty of more flashy stocks in the portfolio, so there is a place for this one.
    Feb 10 12:41 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Our Best-of-the-Best Dividend Portfolio Update [View article]
    SeattleGoldMiner

Thank you for the good information and for reading my article.

We have a "hold" posture on WRLS after the last earnings report. It gets harder to maintain the growth rate as it gets bigger, and the price has risen to expectations. However, as an income stock for long-term, we like WRLS because the recurring revenue pretty much guarantees good cash flow for the foreseeable future.

Frankly, I am not overly disturbed about the selling. If you look at the link you sent, you will see that the insiders sold heavy last February and did not sell a single share until November...not exactly selling "throughout the year." I am not sure the motives or the reason for the February 2013 selling, except the insiders may feel their portfolio is over-weighted in WRLS. If history repeats, we may not see any more selling until the end of the year. Also, the salaries for the executives in the company are not as large as many public companies ($35K for Chairman and less than $600K for highest paid) and the salary structure is rated "low concern." In those cases, the stock proceeds are supposed to make up for the lower salaries.

Having said that, we are still watching the development of the SkyBitz addition, and that is the main reason for our taking a wait and see attitude. So far, it has not been a drag on the company, as we feared in our previous article, but it is still too early to say.

Incidentally, I agree whole-heartedly about the general disappointment all of us individual investors feel about many companies that raise insider perks and dilute as soon as things get good. I am preparing an article on that for Valentines Day with some picks that actually show concern for stockholders.

Thanks for the comment.

Stan
    Feb 5 10:21 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Our Best-of-the-Best Dividend Portfolio Update [View article]
    In my case, the foreign tax has been deducted by CIMT, so the check issued to my account is net of foreign tax. I know that Turbo Tax monitors that with the tax statements from CIMT and my other foreign investments, and I get a credit for the foreign tax deducted from my US tax bill. It is not a big deal for me.

Stan
    Feb 3 03:31 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Our Best-of-the-Best Dividend Portfolio Update [View article]
    Cimatron does not have a regular policy. In the past they had to get permission to pay out dividends from Israel authorities. Last time they got approval for an amount that I believe they have not completely paid out. It is a process that they go through from time to time. The management gets their payback for growth through dividends, so they are interested in paying good dividends. The risk is that the dividends are not regular, but we are long term investors and we are confident that over time the payout will be worthwhile.
    Jan 30 01:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Our Best-of-the-Best Dividend Portfolio Update [View article]
    Thanks for the correction.

I took my number from a press release indicating the probable ROC for 2012. That is good news.

Good luck,

Stan
    Jan 26 11:54 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Our Best-of-the-Best Dividend Portfolio Update [View article]
    SM

Thanks for reading my article.

The answer is yes...this represents the net amounts we actually paid and received on these investments.

The 1% expense ratio is not a concern...especially since these managers are very active selling options to enhance the income stream...not just sitting on holdings.

Stan
    Jan 26 11:51 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Our Best-of-the-Best Dividend Portfolio Update [View article]

When we originally bought into CIMT, we expected it to double so $8 is not outrageous. However, it is a little perplexing the manner in which it has exploded this week. I am encouraged that the volume has been huge for several days...a possible indication of accumulation by important investors. Also, it does not make much sense to me to buy millions of CIMT shares with the idea of turning around and dumping them, since the liquidity is not accommodative for that. I am watching this one closely and if I can find any buying reason besides recognition of value, I will update this one. We are not buying more frankly because we are not sure what the catalyst is: buyout, breakthrough contracts, short-term trading strategy, etc.. I suspect we will learn soon.
    Jan 25 10:47 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Our Best-of-the-Best Dividend Portfolio Update [View article]
    SDS

Thanks for reading my article.

The first requirement for our dividend portfolio is diversification (at least 5 sectors). We have tried to include selections from the most significant industries as a matter of spreading sector risk. Of course, this includes some stocks that may be laggards in the short term. For instance, precious metals stocks are not very popular right now, but we need to have representation in that area. Although we really like some miners for growth, we need income. GNT sells options on holding to be able to generate income in excess of individual mining stocks.

That brings us to the second requirement, which is inclusion of stocks for a long-term (2 - 5 year time span). Therefore, we expect the businesses represented by these companies to be established, and growth companies to have recurring revenue streams. We include some micro-caps and thinner traded stocks because liquidity is not a huge concern with a long-term portfolio. We do not expect our readers and clients to have to constantly be trading, as that eats into profits, and dividend investors like to sleep well.

Third, we expect the portfolio to provide at least a 5% distribution return. Our growth stock portfolios have a minimum return requirement of 2% right now, so obviously we tend to be partial to dividend payers.

Fourth, we expect that the included companies have a reasonable possibility of increasing dividend payout in the future, either based on payout ratio or growth prospects.

Fifth, although we do not have minimum requirements for capital appreciation, we do screen the candidates for growth and value metrics and lean toward candidates that actually appear under-valued. You will note the inclusion of stocks with higher beta than some dividend portfolios.

Sixth, we technically look at the downside risk (support levels).

Finally, we subjectively review the candidates for other fundamental and technical aspects.

Hope this helps.

Stan
    Jan 25 11:20 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Weighing The Week Ahead: What Lies Beyond The Cliff? [View article]
    I am glad to see someone else who sees through the CNBC "Rise Above" campaign as propaganda for the far right. This move to grab all the disenchanted Fox viewers with Obama bashing under a supposedly noble slogan is worse than "Fair and Balanced." It represents the contamination of a decent financial network with blatant sensationalist manipulation of some who are depending on CNBC for reliable reporting. Might read my article on Yahoo:

Dec 31 01:20 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Clark Kent Of Micro-Cap Rebound Plays: Superior Uniform Group [View article]
    berloe,

Thanks for reading my article. I did not find in the company reports indication of hedging. I will try to ask the company. I follow a couple other companies in the medical products field that also had the same surprise hit from the cotton spike, without hedges. I think that the price of cotton has been relatively reliable for so long, as the chart indicates, that noone expected the cost to triple in a short span. Hedges cost money too, so they probably have survived many decades without them. I will try to see if that has changed.

Stan