Stanley Barton

View Stanley Barton's Comments BY TICKER:
  • WSI Industries: An Overlooked Industrial Stock For Growth And Income [View article]
    TakeFive

I agree...not a good idea to try to "catch a falling knife" they say. However, WSCI gapped up from $5 on June 20, 2012 and the recent drop filled in that gap. That is often the point that represents solid support. The market in general is ripe for a drop, but long-term I do not mind getting the dividend yield while waiting....not many alternatives right now. I added at $5.05 as I am short on industrials in the diversified portfolio.

Stan
    Mar 21 10:38 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Karl,

The drop in income was expected, but the market reaction was not. The company had warned that the energy business was soft and I mentioned in the article that the latest report should be the "trough" in the earnings reports. However, the guidance is for only slow improvement, and it looks like some traders are impatient. As for me, the current yield is 3%, and I expect the company to aggressively pursue other large customers, given that the manufacturing capacity is coming on-line. Any progress on that front would cause a pop, in my opinion. In the meantime, I think the yield justifies holding. With many micro-caps selling close to highs with big PE's, WSCI may be the best kind of opportunity to get value and income, which was the original thesis....it only looks better now.

Hope this helps,

Stan
    Mar 20 11:40 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Sandstorm Gold Plunge: Warning Or Opportunity? [View article]
    CoolSoupy

This may be a restriction of your broker. The trade described is an actual trade in our non-IRA account. IRA accounts require full stock value.

Thanks for reading my article.

Stan
    Mar 5 10:46 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Sandstorm Gold Plunge: Warning Or Opportunity? [View article]
    heloise8

I generally like to have a target for a stock when I go long. I maybe adjust the target as facts develop over time, but I need to have very compelling reasons not to take some money off the table once the target is achieved. I usually sell too soon, but I will give you three old Wall Street sayings that might help:

"You take the top ten percent and the bottom ten percent and I will take the 80% in the middle..."

"No one ever lost money by selling at a profit..."

"Sell after it doubles and play with the house money..."

There are a variety of technical factors to give hints about the overpriced nature of a stock, but one could write a book on those.

Hope this helps,

Stan
    Feb 27 05:59 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Our Best-of-the-Best Dividend Portfolio Update [View article]
    galicianova,

I like GSJK and own it.

Since this article it has raised the distribution and provided guidance to indicate maybe further increases:

"Given our improved financial results in 2012, we increased our quarterly distribution to $0.42 per outstanding unit for the fourth quarter of 2012. On the basis of this financial guidance, we expect that we can achieve quarterly distributions of at least $0.42 in 2013."

Also, I think it has room to grow in Latin America. The Mexican federal budget gets about 1/3 of revenue from PEMEX, its nationalized oil company. Production has been declining and I think that finally the Mexican government will realize it needs to invest in increasing production. For capital appreciation, one might prefer the general partner, Tetra Tec (TTI), which owns a majority interest in Compressco. It has good growth and value metrics, but pays no dividend. GSJK had 150% distribution coverage last time I looked, and I think TTI depends on that distribution, so you can probably expect them to continue to try to increase distributions.

Hope that helps,

Stan
    Feb 23 12:48 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Sandstorm Gold Plunge: Warning Or Opportunity? [View article]
    Thanks for reading my article.

In an IRA account you have to have 100% of the underlying stock value as margin. In my non-IRA option account I only have to put up 10% on SAND.

Stan
    Feb 22 03:04 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Sandstorm Gold Plunge: Warning Or Opportunity? [View article]
    Thank you for the comment.

In the past two years it has been helpful to us to monitor AUQ as a representative of specifically small to mid-size Canadian miners. We mostly deal with those size firms. GDX is a better representation of larger global miners. "Benchmark" probably was not the correct word.

Having said that, you are correct that watching any single company will at times distort the action due to company-specific situations.

Thanks for reading my article.
    Feb 20 04:56 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Advice For The Lovelorn Investor: 2 Stocks That Cherish Shareholders [View article]
    Thanks for reading my article and the kind words.

I will keep snooping around for some goodies. These unknowns are pretty risky normally, but if you are looking long-term, they often play out well.

Stan
    Feb 15 04:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks for the kind words.

For freelance writers, it is not very profitable to write about obscure little companies, because nobody goes to those companies' web pages anyway. I do not really expect to make a lot of money on my writing. I have noticed when I did a newsletter in the 1980's that my investment analysis becomes more clear to me as I write out the pros and cons for a stock, so the articles develop naturally. I just try to add some creativity so readers will stick with it to the meaty part of the investment rationale.
    Feb 15 04:52 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks for reading my article.

I am skeptical of every stock I seriously look at. You may have surmised from this piece that I have been burnt by some seemingly transparent managements in my day, and you cannot avoid that completely in this game.

To answer your question, the numbers for Compton may be inflated, but those were not prepared by MFC. I am probably more curious about the Pea Ridge Mine property that was acquired last year. Seems that there was a lot of excitement and then nothing. I do know that getting an official resource assessment takes time, as well as feasibility studies. I am a long-term investor, so I am not in a big hurry to see the Pea Ridge investment play out, but for now the MIL investors or taking a leap of faith on that one. I did not include that in the article as I simply am not expecting anything form that in the near future, and if there is short-term good news it will be a bonus.

If there is an area to question the accounting it is in the acquisitions; however, the core businesses are pretty transparent and profitable, and those alone justify the dividend and current valuation.
    Feb 15 04:45 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Acme Delivers Jet-Propelled Growth With Innovative Products... Beep! Beep! [View article]
    Thank you for reading my article and the good comments.

I am expecting a good 4th quarter earnings report to be issued pretty soon. Although the 4th quarter is normally a slow quarter, it seems the knife sales are taking off well at places that sell guns. I think the value, dividend and stability of the company has made this a pretty good place to park some money. I have plenty of more flashy stocks in the portfolio, so there is a place for this one.
    Feb 10 12:41 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Our Best-of-the-Best Dividend Portfolio Update [View article]
    SeattleGoldMiner

Thank you for the good information and for reading my article.

We have a "hold" posture on WRLS after the last earnings report. It gets harder to maintain the growth rate as it gets bigger, and the price has risen to expectations. However, as an income stock for long-term, we like WRLS because the recurring revenue pretty much guarantees good cash flow for the foreseeable future.

Frankly, I am not overly disturbed about the selling. If you look at the link you sent, you will see that the insiders sold heavy last February and did not sell a single share until November...not exactly selling "throughout the year." I am not sure the motives or the reason for the February 2013 selling, except the insiders may feel their portfolio is over-weighted in WRLS. If history repeats, we may not see any more selling until the end of the year. Also, the salaries for the executives in the company are not as large as many public companies ($35K for Chairman and less than $600K for highest paid) and the salary structure is rated "low concern." In those cases, the stock proceeds are supposed to make up for the lower salaries.

Having said that, we are still watching the development of the SkyBitz addition, and that is the main reason for our taking a wait and see attitude. So far, it has not been a drag on the company, as we feared in our previous article, but it is still too early to say.

Incidentally, I agree whole-heartedly about the general disappointment all of us individual investors feel about many companies that raise insider perks and dilute as soon as things get good. I am preparing an article on that for Valentines Day with some picks that actually show concern for stockholders.

Thanks for the comment.

Stan
    Feb 5 10:21 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Our Best-of-the-Best Dividend Portfolio Update [View article]
    In my case, the foreign tax has been deducted by CIMT, so the check issued to my account is net of foreign tax. I know that Turbo Tax monitors that with the tax statements from CIMT and my other foreign investments, and I get a credit for the foreign tax deducted from my US tax bill. It is not a big deal for me.

Stan
    Feb 3 03:31 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Our Best-of-the-Best Dividend Portfolio Update [View article]
    Cimatron does not have a regular policy. In the past they had to get permission to pay out dividends from Israel authorities. Last time they got approval for an amount that I believe they have not completely paid out. It is a process that they go through from time to time. The management gets their payback for growth through dividends, so they are interested in paying good dividends. The risk is that the dividends are not regular, but we are long term investors and we are confident that over time the payout will be worthwhile.
    Jan 30 01:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Our Best-of-the-Best Dividend Portfolio Update [View article]
    Thanks for the correction.

I took my number from a press release indicating the probable ROC for 2012. That is good news.

Good luck,