Stanley Barton

View Stanley Barton's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Crawford & Company: Making The Most Of Natural Disasters [View article]
    Nice earnings report for SLP today. Looks like Asian customers providing better kick than I expected, and 91% software renewals bodes well for 3.5% dividend.
    Jul 3 12:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Crawford & Company: Making The Most Of Natural Disasters [View article]
    Goalkick9

I saw today SLP sold some licenses for simulation software to the US Environmental Protection Agency...that means that approval for non-drugs can be fast-tracked using the SLP software. Solid company, solid dividend, just not well discovered. Revenue grew by 11% without one special order, which bumped it to 20% growth, last quarter. I am considering adding this one to or Diversified Dividend portfolio.

Thanks for reading,

Stan
    Jul 2 12:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Care.com: Didn't We See This Movie Already In 1999-2000? [View article]
    Good combination of common sense and creative writing style.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading your article.

Mind if I borrow some of your picturesque phrases ("cash bonfire," veneer of puffery," etc.) that may come in handy in describing the IPO wave that is about to inundate the market?
    Jun 21 11:19 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • This Might Be The Cheapest Investment In Apparel [View article]
    Actually CHKE is the cheapest...single digit PE with yesterdays earnings announcement and double digit growth.
    Jun 11 09:34 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Tax Sale Bargain: NetSol Technologies [View article]
    thaze

I read the report, and it is disappointing considering that I expected this quarter to start showing ASCENT revenues. It appears that the demand for this product is not there. Could be a temporary delay, as the emerging markets and auto leasing have slowed, but at any rate, it is bad for NTWK, given its investment in the new version. Unless in the report on May 12 there is more palpable news about the pipeline than in this report, I assume that NTWK will need to try to go back to pushing the legacy products...the report pretty much indicates this. As for the stock, I am expecting it to drop, but if the company announced two new contracts in the same month for ASCENT it could take off. Given the market attitude about these little tech stocks, there are better places to put money right now.

Stan
    May 8 11:12 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cherokee, Inc.: On The Royalty Growth Path [View article]
    galacianova

I've been bogged down on special projects. I have had to work on a huge report for a real estate developer client, and it has taken all my free time. I got this article on Cherokee out, as I felt like there was a timeliness issue. Thanks for the reminder...actually that upddate is always my most popular article, so I need to get that done. I have not been trading out of anything in the dividend portfolio lately, as I am in it for the long-term and stocks are fundamentally OK.

Stan
    May 1 03:59 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cherokee, Inc.: On The Royalty Growth Path [View article]
    CT Programmer

I cannot speak for the analyst. I do know that sometimes an analyst will update projections for one year and subsequent years will reflect a non-updated number. Also, when the company has an acquisition, there are one-time costs associated with that deal, and I think it is likely that there will be a major acquisition in the next year or two. However, I am expecting about 7 - 12% growth in subsequent years, if there are no major acquisitions. This is based on the growth factors indicated in the article.

I use the GAAP earnings to be more conservative, that is the difference.

Thanks for reading my article.

Stan
    Apr 30 10:13 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Tax Sale Bargain: NetSol Technologies [View article]
    njaved

No news from NTWK, and a lot is riding on the next earnings announcement. I was not overwhelmed by the last one, but I did not expect much either. They have had enough time to market their new version, and, as I mentioned, the first quarter of the calendar year is a good time for new and renewal software licenses. I am holding this one, but not buying more right now. I still think that the management would not be gambling on so many new hires and other growth initiatives if they did not have good visibility into the prospects for ASCENT software.

Hope this helps,

Stan
    Apr 24 10:12 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Invest In Restaurant Tablet Transformations With NTN Buzztime [View article]
    Annual report indicates about twice as many terminations as installations in 2013...that is one reason for decreasing revenue. Also, looks like company capitalizes R & D costs...label it as "investments." If expensed, the loss would be about $2 million, not the reported $.4 million. May be the next big thing...but have my doubts that they are winning the battle over competition.

What is better about the BEOND than competitors' product?

I like pure play aspect, and short-term maybe they can make the next earnings report show real revenue and profit growth on BWW installations. Guess I better go to BWW and check out the tablet.
    Apr 3 04:04 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Glimpse At Our Small Cap Biotechnology Portfolio [View article]
    sheldond,

Thanks for reading the article.

I have been blessed to have had interesting opportunities in my investing career. I am not sure that going forward the old-school approach is going to be as successful, as talking heads on television seem to convince the investing public of many ideas that counter simple economics. Nonetheless, as Darrell Royal (Legendary U. of Texas coach) used to say..."you gotta dance with the one that brung ya."

Best of luck

Stan
    Mar 15 09:52 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Glimpse At Our Small Cap Biotechnology Portfolio [View article]
    Charles M.

Every time a stock drops drastically, like DVAX after the FDA letter, a number of law firms launch "investigations" and sometimes actually pursue a case. Having been the plaintiff in some of these class-action cases, I can tell you that the shareholder rarely gets anything out of these, as the suits are either dropped or settled with the lawyers getting the settlement funds. I am not a lawyer, nor have I reviewed the cases, but from my experience, my guess is that these may cost DVAX $1-2MM to manage and settle. Not a huge issue, considering DVAX spends about $12MM on R&D each quarter. As a layman, I think it may be difficult for the law firms to prove that DVAX should have known that the FDA would not approve the submission, since it was a very close vote on safety and overwhelming approval of efficacy...but I guess it is a possibility. I think the clinical results and takeover possibilities will drive the stock price more than the lawsuits.

Thanks for reading the article.

Stan
    Feb 17 06:29 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Glimpse At Our Small Cap Biotechnology Portfolio [View article]
    hashultz,

Biocon Limited, the largest biotech distributor in India and Asia (market cap of 93B) mentioned yesterday in its quarterly report that there "has seen very enthusiastic uptake of Cytosorb filters, a novel therapy for sepsis that we had launched last quarter." Probably the reason for the jump today. Not typical for a giant international to mention such a small company product in its quarterly report. The link:

Stan
    Jan 22 09:57 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Glimpse At Our Small Cap Biotechnology Portfolio [View article]
    haschultz,

The price began jumping after the letter from the CEO on January 15. This article probably contributed some yesterday. Today's action is extreme...maybe a short squeeze. We are holding, since we are in for the long-term, but at this point I think a new investor might want to wait for this to settle back. CTSO still has 50% from here to meet the Zach's target of $.50 for this year, but it may take some months to get there.

Glad your on board, and I hope that the CEO Chan was on track with his comments about the product getting traction and having to "ramp up" production.

Stan
    Jan 22 09:26 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Glimpse At Our Small Cap Biotechnology Portfolio [View article]
    betchawewin,

Thanks for reading my article.

Politics aside, it is always a consideration that reimbursement for treatments will be fair for new drugs or treatments. In that regard, I think it is fair to say that generic drugs, such as IG products, should continue to be preferred. Also, relatively cheap treatments by CTSO should not have problems with reimbursement, especially since more often than not this is an ICU treatment. DVAX is in the Hep B vaccine business, and preventive medicine is also favored under the Affordable Care Act. Cardica makes medical instruments that are less invasive and suitable for robotic surgery, so that should work with lower cost initiatives of the ACA, although subject to added medical instrument tax treatment. I am not sure about the final cost or reimbursement for GALE and CYTX, since these are new technologies and it is difficult to know how they will be reimbursed.

Hope this helps,

Stan
    Jan 22 03:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Fleetcor Is A Better Investment Than Visa And MasterCard [View article]
    The Walmart connection is well known and the Amex competition has not stopped double digit growth in GDO revenues, even though it has been around for more than a year. AMEX is losing that war, because GDOT has more options for consumers. That said, AMEX is still doing really well, which should indicate good earnings for GDOT on Jan. 30.

One of these prepaid cards will be in bed with WMT so ask yourself, would you rather it be the one you own or a different one? GDOT is in Kroger, Walgreen, etc. and in last earnings report indicated its exposure to WMT is decreasing each month.

Congrats on good move in traditional card stocks today.
    Jan 17 03:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment