SteadyOptions

View SteadyOptions' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Will These 4 Dividend Giants Sustain Their Dividends In 2012? [View article]
    Gentlemen,

It was an innocent question, I didn't expect such a violent and extreme reaction.

People always give an example of Warren Buffet, but how many Warren Buffets there are out there? For your information, I'm not a day trader, I'm not even a professional trader as clearly mentioned in my profile. I'm an Engineer and part time trader. After 2008 crash, I decided that I just don't want to depend on what the markets are doing anymore. So I spent some time mastering options strategies that are non-directional and market neutral.

This is not rocket science, everyone can do it. I'm not a day trader and not watching my positions every minute, but obviously they require more attention than holding a dividend stock. If I can do it as a part time trader, everyone can do. You can read some of my articles to see my trading style. My latest article was featured by Philip Elmer-DeWitt on Fortune magazine - http://bit.ly/Azc7jN as "one of the most sensible Seeking Alpha articles I've read some time"

My point is that when something like 2000 or 2008 crisis hits again, no stock will be safe. But my strategies don't care about market crash - in fact, my best month in 2011 was August.

Looks to me that people who want income might be better buying bonds, but I might be wrong. I respect other people's styles, I just don't like when people implicate that they are better than me because they are "long term investors" and I'm a "speculator".
    Jan 15, 2012. 09:12 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Whatever You Do, Don't Do This Before Apple's Earnings [View article]
    Mazen,

Actually a lot of people buying a day before earnings. For some companies like GOOG and NFLX it would work not bad (I'm talking about straddle, not calls). It's true that most of the time AAPL runs before earnings, but the timing of the run is not consistent. Not sure how much in advance you would need to buy.
    Jan 15, 2012. 08:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Should You Buy Google Straddle Ahead Of Earnings? [View article]
    whaddyamean,

Your calculations referring to holding the trade till expiration. If exited before earnings, a move to 645-650 or 600-605 should be enough to produce decent gains. That's about 3%.

On a separate note, I paid 5.30 for the trade, so breakeven points at expiration are 655.30 and 594.70.
    Jan 15, 2012. 04:08 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: Gearing Up To Go 'Thermonuclear' In 2012? [View article]
    Tebro4Pres,

I'm doing it all the time. Check my articles to see some of the strategies I'm using without taking any directional risk (or trading directionally if you prefer with much less risk.

For example, a trade I described here http://seekingalpha.co... would be up over 30% in one month while having 7% downside protection.
    Jan 15, 2012. 04:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Whatever You Do, Don't Do This Before Apple's Earnings [View article]
    This is a good way as long as you are out before the announcement.
    Jan 15, 2012. 03:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Whatever You Do, Don't Do This Before Apple's Earnings [View article]
    GSharrock, this would be much better way than just to buy calls. Much less risk and still very decent returns. I still prefer to be non-directional, but that's just me.
    Jan 15, 2012. 03:56 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Whatever You Do, Don't Do This Before Apple's Earnings [View article]
    Tebro, I described several ways to trade AAPL in my previous articles, see the links in this article. Even going long with credit spread as I described here http://seekingalpha.co... would produce over 30% gain so far in one month. If you are still bulish, take the gains and roll to higher strikes.
    Jan 15, 2012. 03:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Whatever You Do, Don't Do This Before Apple's Earnings [View article]
    PedroG,

There are obviously many ways to trade AAPL. Congrats, you did very well so far. But how do you know when the party is over and you need to get out?
    Jan 15, 2012. 03:52 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Whatever You Do, Don't Do This Before Apple's Earnings [View article]
    Thanks smithatude,

By selling calls or puts you mean naked? I wouldn't do it, the risk is too big, the margin requirements especially on a stock like AAPL would be huge and your return on margin even if you succeed would be not very high.

But selling spreads or Iron Condor might be not a bad idea as I mentioned in my previous article.
    Jan 15, 2012. 03:51 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Apple Going To $700, Or Maybe $260? [View article]
    jwaydog,

Many people like my trading style and my articles (in fact, I'm the fastest growing author on SA http://bit.ly/mWSzf7). But obviously you cannot please everyone, espacially when it comes to Apple fans (which I'm too).

And thanks for your kind words.
    Jan 15, 2012. 03:45 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Will These 4 Dividend Giants Sustain Their Dividends In 2012? [View article]
    "If you ignore him and others like him" - what do you mean by "like him"? Are you implying that you are better than me because you are an "investor" and I'm a trader?

Obviously many people like my trading style and my articles (in fact, I'm the fastest growing author on SA http://bit.ly/mWSzf7).
    Jan 15, 2012. 11:39 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Whatever You Do, Don't Do This Before Apple's Earnings [View article]
    Gary,

You are correct that many times AAPL had a nice run before earnings. However, timing that run might be tricky. If you buy 2 weeks before earnings and the stock doesn't move for a week, you will lose money due to negative theta. If you plan to buy 1 week before earnings, it might be too late. Doing it consistently at the right timing is very difficult. Anyone who could do it would be a very rich person by now.
    Jan 15, 2012. 10:24 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Whatever You Do, Don't Do This Before Apple's Earnings [View article]
    Thank you for your comment Henry.

I'm not forcing anyone to read my articles. Everyone is entitled to his own opinion.

May I ask what didn't you like in the first paragraph?
    Jan 15, 2012. 10:20 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Whatever You Do, Don't Do This Before Apple's Earnings [View article]
    Thank you for your comment.

My article is about earnings strategies, not buy and hold. I never said that buy and hold doesn't have its place. It's not for me, but many people like it.

Buying the best stocks would hardly help you if the markets go down again like in 2000 or 2008. No stock will be safe. This is why I personally prefer not to depend on what the markets do.

Maybe those who became rich by trading options don't need to be your clients..
    Jan 15, 2012. 10:19 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Will These 4 Dividend Giants Sustain Their Dividends In 2012? [View article]
    Walt, please let me to decide what to read or not to read. Agreed?
    Jan 15, 2012. 10:14 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment