SteadyOptions

View SteadyOptions' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Why I Dislike Holding Strangles Through Earnings [View article]
    The calendars we are doing are mostly earnings calendars. They have a very specific characteristics, we always sell before earnings and they are relatively resilient to a big move. I think we had only 3 losses in over a year. One of our latest calendars on TSLA was resilient to 20+ points move.
    Mar 1 12:42 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Dislike Holding Strangles Through Earnings [View article]
    I think you are raising some good points. Over time, I did some fine tuning to this strategy, and found out that for many stocks, the optimal time to buy is around 5-7 days before earnings. It is often a good idea to sell a day before the announcement. You can see our results from the last 2+ years here - http://bit.ly/1ht1POi
    Feb 27 03:35 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Dislike Holding Strangles Through Earnings [View article]
    Further OTM strikes will have higher risk/reward - if the stock moves, the gains will be higher, but if it doesn't, and IV spike is not enough to offset the theta, the losses will be higher as well. I switched almost completely to straddles, my members prefer to make less but also to risk less.
    Feb 20 03:31 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Dislike Holding Strangles Through Earnings [View article]
    This is definitely a viable strategy - just make sure that your strangle is not too far OTM, otherwise if the stock doesn't move, the loss will still be substantial.
    Feb 18 03:08 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Green Mountain Grand Slam [View article]
    Hindsight is always 20/20. It is worth mentioning that while GMCR straddle held through earnings performed fairly well many times, but when it didn't, the loss would be substantial. For example, in February and August cycles last year the stock did not move enough and the trade has lost 50%+. It is always worth to disclose the risks of those trades, and the main risk is IV collapse after earnings which makes the trade a big loser in case the stock doesn't move enough.
    Feb 6 12:56 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The 4 Reasons The Stock Markets Are Headed Higher In 2014 [View article]
    For every "4 Reasons The Stock Markets Are Headed Higher" I can give you 40 reasons why the markets are headed lower. And each one of us has a 50% chance of being right.

Russel is up 230% since 2009. Does anyone really think this is sustainable?? Wake up!
    Jan 2 06:29 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The 4 Reasons The Stock Markets Are Headed Higher In 2014 [View article]
    The simple truth is that all those "predictions" are not worth the paper they are written on. All the "gurus" want you to believe they know something that you don't. If anyone could predict the direction of the stock market even with 60% accuracy, they would not be writing on SA or talking on CNBC.
    Jan 2 03:46 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Headed To $700 In 2014, What's Next For The Market [View article]
    Here are some of the third party smartphone reviews:

http://bit.ly/1iNzy8y (iphone ranked #4)
    http://cnet.co/VgZ3hi (iphone ranked #5)
    http://bit.ly/1iNzy8B (iphone ranked #1)
    http://bit.ly/1iNzy8E (iphone ranked #1)

Consumer Reports ranks the iPhone #4, after Samsung Galaxy, LG and HTC.

So iPhone is one of the best phones, the best according to some reviewers, but definitely not years ahead of the competitors. Apple is losing its market share to competitors, and there is a good reason for this.
    Dec 8 05:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Headed To $700 In 2014, What's Next For The Market [View article]
    Most of the people upgrade to a new smart phone (no matter which one) after 3 years for two reasons:

1. They can do very cheaply due to subsidized rates.
    2. They don't have much choice because most of those phone are not designed to last more than 3 years. For example, if your battery drains, it might cost you similar price to change the battery and to upgrade to a new phone. btw, this is one of the reasons why Apple charges you $80 for a new battery that should cost no more than $20.

It has been a whole since I posted comments on Apple article, but I see that nothing has changed. People who say that Apple products are perfect and everyone else is junk and the stock price is going to double within a year, are heroes. Everyone else is the enemy of the state.

I warned several times during 2012 that AAPL price is in a bubble. I presented few way to trade the stock, most of those trades made 20-50% in a short period of time. Some people listened, others bought the stock at $700 just to watch it going below $400.

I have no idea where the stock will be a year from now. But unlike many others, I don't pretend to know. I'm using non-directional options strategies on AAPL and other stocks that produce 50-60% annual return year after year. If you want to buy AAPL at $560, $600 or $700, by all means, do it. If you are ready to buy an overpriced product that offers no real advantage over competition, be my guest.

P.S. your personal attack on Canadians is shameless. I reported you to SA stuff.
    Dec 8 12:36 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Headed To $700 In 2014, What's Next For The Market [View article]
    I consider US and Canada very similar in many areas, including consumers mentality. Most people in Canada change their phones every 3 years, like in US. And no, I don't use blackberry. My wife has one from her work and hates it.

Please don't twist my words. I never said Apple does bad products. They make good products, the only problem is that today they are not better than the competitions, but they continue to charge more.
    Dec 8 10:45 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Headed To $700 In 2014, What's Next For The Market [View article]
    Richard, do you know someone who holds his iPhone (or any other smart phone) for more than 3 years? I don't. Apple is not alone here - most products today are not made to last more than 2-3 years. After 3 years, they allow you to upgrade your phone for $100-150. Who do you think pays the difference between $100 and the full price of $700? Santa Claus? No, it's you and me, by paying more each month.

If I didn't like Apple, I wouldn't buy their products. The difference is that I don't blindly consider their products the best only because of the barnd. 3-4 years ago, the iPhone was the best in any review - today it's not. It is still ONE of the best products, but many other products are similar or better in some areas, and iPhone does not justify to be priced higher than the competitors anymore.
    Dec 7 05:28 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Headed To $700 In 2014, What's Next For The Market [View article]
    This is exactly my point - they make them last only 2-3 years on purpose to force you into an upgrade. Not everywhere the upgrade is free, and I can get a similar product for $100-150 cheaper, there is no reason for me to continue using iPhone. And if the upgrade is free, is it REALLY free? Or they get their money from you in other ways?

Apple is making money exactly on the mentality of people like you who think that $700 product is not supposed to last more than 3 years. This mentality can hold only in the US, rest of the world have much smarter consumers, and it will not last for long in US either.

The current iPhone has no significant upgrades compared to iPhone 4, and for most people there is no real reason to upgrade.
    Dec 7 01:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Headed To $700 In 2014, What's Next For The Market [View article]
    There is a reason why the stock PE is so low. Do you think you know something that millions of other investors don't?

I started using Apple products 3 years ago. My iPhone is 2.5 years old, it was working fine till now, but since couple weeks ago, the battery drains after 2 hours (without any use). It is almost like they make those products last for 2-3 years only on purpose in order to force you to upgrade.

My 6 months old iPad is now having trouble with WiFi if the router is on another floor. It was fine when I bought it and other products work fine, so it's not the router.

To me, the bottom line is simple: Apple used to make products that are superior to the competition, but this is not the case anymore. However, they continue charging Lexus prices for GM/Ford like products.

I'm in Canada, and Rogers is charging $230 for the iPhone with 2 years contract and $100 for most other smartphones. I can tell you that my next phone will NOT Apple, and I'm sure there are a LOT of customers applying the same logic.
    Dec 7 11:36 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Headed To $700 In 2014, What's Next For The Market [View article]
    The 10% increase prior to China Mobile deal was pure insider trading.

The stock is going to $700?? Why not to $1000? Some people just learned nothing after the $700 bubble burst by 40%+.

AAPL is now a "normal" stock with 10-15% annual growth best case. The days of 50-100% growth in sales, profits and stock price are history now.
    Dec 6 02:13 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Introducing Steady Condors [View instapost]
    In 2014, we don't have a final date yet.
    Nov 3 10:08 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment