SteadyOptions

View SteadyOptions' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Apple Watch Vs. The Competition [View article]
    Nice and convenient, I agree. But to pay $350 for that convenience? And to give up the beauty of the traditional watch?
    Sep 13, 2014. 08:00 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Watch Vs. The Competition [View article]
    Willy,

Please don't put words in my mouth. Where did you see me saying that people who buy Apple products are shallow? I myself own iPad and had iPhone till 6 months ago. But my buying decisions were based purely on value for money, not social status. Most Apple fanboys will buy any Apple product no matter how it stands against competition and no matter the price. This is cult.
    Sep 13, 2014. 03:42 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Watch Vs. The Competition [View article]
    They make each new IOS not backward compatible with the previous iPhone because they want you to upgrade to the new iPhone. Any software developer breaking backward compatibility in any software product would be fired immediately. In Apple products, it's not a bug, it's a feature.
    Sep 12, 2014. 10:32 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Watch Vs. The Competition [View article]
    bmrw,

Are you comparing iwatch to Rolex? Really?

Someone who wants a really stylish and quality watch will buy Rolex or another real watch for 1-2k.

Someone who just needs the time can buy a decent watch for $100.

If someone pays $350 only for the convenience not to "fetch the phone from your pocket" - well, I rest my case.

But if people are ready to pay, it just proves how shallow our society became.
    Sep 12, 2014. 03:17 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Watch Vs. The Competition [View article]
    It is still not clear to me why would anyone pay $350 for a watch, Apple or not Apple. What can it do that your smartphone can't? Blood pressure?
    Sep 12, 2014. 09:54 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple's iPhone 6 Market Impacts [View article]
    Very good observation Giorgio.

iPhone costs about double (for 2 years plan) than many other smartphones which are as good or slightly better. The ONLY reason to buy a smartphone today is a social status.

I had iPhone for 3 years, switched to HTC few months ago and couldn't be happier. Why in the world would I pay $200+ for iPhone when I can get HTC for $99??

"You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time."
    Abraham Lincoln

Obviously, so far Apple succeeded to fool all the people all the time due to its monster PR machine, but it's only matter of time till more and more people realize the bluff.
    Sep 10, 2014. 04:04 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple's iPhone 6 Market Impacts [View article]
    The simple truth is that Apple makes great products, but it's no longer a market leader like it was 3-4 years ago. It's playing catch up. It might be hard to admit for all Apple fanboys, but it's a truth.

Here is a good and objective analysis:

A lot of similarities between the current situation and Sept 2012, when the stock was at the all time highs as Apple released a new LARGER iPhone, and a new SMALLER iPAd. There is a good chance we can see $90 or lower before the next leg higher.
    Sep 10, 2014. 12:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Day I Sold Everything [View article]
    I'm sorry that you see it that way.

A simple question: wouldn't you be glad not to have to worry about market direction, valuations, market timing etc.? Isn't it a dream of every investor - to be able to make money in all markets?
    Aug 7, 2014. 03:49 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Day I Sold Everything [View article]
    Okay, got it. Learning something new every day (English is not my native language).

reading all the comments, I'm so glad that I don't have to deal with guessing the direction, timing the market, evaluating companies, relying on 3% dividend etc.
    Aug 7, 2014. 01:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Day I Sold Everything [View article]
    Diversification does work, but not traditional diversification of stocks/bonds/commoditi... etc.

Refer to this article http://bit.ly/1mXCF9O to see how REAL diversification looks like.

And no, I'm not selling my book for a simple reason that I don't have a book.
    Aug 6, 2014. 03:05 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Day I Sold Everything [View article]
    "One option is to asset allocate to a fund like Vanguard Wellsley which is roughly 2/3 bonds, 1/3 stocks"

If your investment adviser has you in a small-cap fund, a mid-cap fund, a large-cap fund, a foreign investment fund, a commodity fund, a bond fund, and a high dividend fund such as a REIT or pipeline, and tells you that you’re adequately diversified, find a new investment adviser. In a market crash, ALL of those asset classes will get hammered.

Sure, on a week to week basis in a bull market you are diversified and relatively protected against company and sector risk. But you are horribly exposed to market risk, and the vast majorities of investment advisers either simply do not understand this or believe that “that’s just the way things are.” However no investor should accept that answer.
    Aug 6, 2014. 01:09 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Day I Sold Everything [View article]
    "There were a lot of people who invested regularly and periodically in the stock market in 1922 through 1929. I seriously doubt they lost 90% of what they put in. Those who started years earlier had a good cost basis going in."

Actually I believe that most did lose 90% of their money.

What most people forget is that gains and losses are not symmetric. If you gain 50% one year and lose 50% a year after, you are NOT back to even. Why? Because most people use compounding - isn't this the whole point of smart investing? So if you started with 100k, made 50% and then lost 50%, you now have 75k. If you lose 50%, it takes now to make 100% to get back to even.

This is why capital preservation is more important than gains or missed opportunity. This is something that many options traders also don't understand - they try to maximize the gains while the goal should be to limit the losses.
    Aug 6, 2014. 01:00 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Day I Sold Everything [View article]
    Well, thanks for your advise, but I'm doing fine. After selling all my stocks 6 years ago, I started trading exclusively options, with non-directional strategies. Don't have to try and guess the direction. Don't have to evaluate stocks. Averaging 50-80% per year on regular basis, year after year, without taking any directional risk. In August 2011 when everyone else was losing their shirt, I made 40% in one month due to increasing volatility.

Some people seek 2-3% per year from dividends, I make this almost every week. No market timing, no crystal ball.
    Aug 4, 2014. 09:28 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Short Sellers And Seeking Alpha [View article]
    Frankly, I don't understand why articles by short sellers are even an issue. Bad research or stock manipulation can apply to both long and short articles. The issue should be poor articles, no matter if they advocate long or short ideas. And unfortunately, there are too many poor articles on SA.
    Aug 2, 2014. 12:04 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Day I Sold Everything [View article]
    Sure.. the stocks always recover, don't they? Well.. they do.. except for those that don't. Didn't we hear the same song in 2008 on stocks like Citigroup? I still remember all the pundits advising to double down at $30.. then on $20, all the way to under $1. After all, how low can it go? And we still have the dividend. We all know what happened with the stock and the dividend.

No, wait.. this time it's different!!!!
    Aug 1, 2014. 01:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment