Stephen Breezy

View Stephen Breezy's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Lumber Liquidators, Formaldehyde And Asbestos [View article]
    I realize that the plural of anecdote is not data but I installed over 1000 sq ft of Lumber Liquidators laminate in my home and then developed respiratory issues that the doctors have not been able to diagnose (they've done all sorts of tests including an upper-gi). Lumber Liquidators won't send me a formaldehyde test kit because they "can't find" record of my order (even though I still have the email confirmation). While I never associated the two, this doesn't give me a good feeling.
    Apr 10, 2015. 09:00 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Micron: Memory, Oligopolies And Valuation [View article]
    Oh - and congrats on generating what must have been a million page views so far (perhaps this is your angle!!!).
    Apr 2, 2015. 07:50 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Micron: Memory, Oligopolies And Valuation [View article]
    Russ, just between me, you, and the fence post, something smells fishy with this earnings announcement. I'm writing an article that will connect-the-dots and will post it soon. This stock was way up, way down but finished essentially unchanged... There are big players involved. More to come.
    Apr 2, 2015. 07:49 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Micron: Memory, Oligopolies And Valuation [View article]
    Russ, you should donate your blood to help treat extreme cases of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. A simple transfusion could turn all of those video game playing fools into productive members of society!
    Mar 31, 2015. 08:47 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Micron: Q2 And The Road Ahead [View article]
    No. They aren't. I regularly wait for the Samsung DRAM to come back into stock while the Micron DRAM is rotting in the warehouse. A better example for the "enterprise" is Provantage.com. They list "30 in-stock" of the Micron 32GB modules but they don't list the Samsung at all (because Provantage management understand that they are shooting themselves in the foot if they list the much-cheaper, out-of-stock Samsung modules). I just call my sales rep to get ETA on the Samsung modules. I purchased 256GB last week that will replace 128GB of Hynix.
    Mar 30, 2015. 09:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Micron: Q2 And The Road Ahead [View article]
    Micron is getting destroyed by Samsung on DRAM. Check the Newegg.com costs on a stick of Micron DDR4 32GB (CT32G4LFQ4213 $550) versus the Samsung iteration (M386A4G40DM0-CPB $390). As an IT guy, I buy this stuff day-in and day-out. This is bad.
    Mar 30, 2015. 09:30 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel: A Little Peek At Fourth Quarter Earnings [View article]
    JSG, I agree that both core and socket licensing are dumb (well, "greedy" would be a better term). I think that licensing by RAM allocation is the most practical. VMware tried the "vRAM" model which would have been a success if they had dropped the old per-socket model. Instead, they tried to tax customers on top of the existing fees. But, if I have a database with 2TB of RAM, I am definitely willing to pay more for a database license than I am for one that is running 64GB of RAM. Even entry-level processors are going to have 16 cores in the next few years.

Bruce: good call. "Grantley" was a code name that hadn't crossed my radar.
    Jan 15, 2015. 12:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel: A Little Peek At Fourth Quarter Earnings [View article]
    Russ - you're forgetting about the Xeon v3 family.

Intel finally has 10-18 core processors with a very nice price umbrella. Lots of customers have been waiting for these because VMware, Oracle, et al license their products by the socket (which is dumb, but that's not my call). These are going to push earnings well over the top. We'll touch $42 tomorrow.
    Jan 15, 2015. 10:34 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Micron Technology: What's Up With Phase Change Memory? [View article]
    Well - no PCM announced but they are still only running these things with 1GB of RAM. To me, this means that they are fully expecting to be able to "eXecute-In-Place" (XIP) with an NVRAM that is as fast/nearly-as-fast as DRAM. With XIP, they don't need to load most apps into RAM because they can be run from my hypothesized PCM. The 64-bit extensions on the processor are otherwise worthless at this point (not just worthless, but putting a strain on the limited 1GB of memory space). Samsung is shipping 3GB of RAM in their phones... I guess AAPL is waiting for the ENERQ bankruptcy to complete as well. Poor Micron - they've had the hybrid memory cube ready to go for nearly a year now. Poor Intel - they need to wait for Micron to release the HMC before they can ship Knights Landing...
    Sep 10, 2014. 08:36 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Micron Technology: What's Up With Phase Change Memory? [View article]
    Prediction: the iPhone 6 5.5" is the predicted phase change memory device. It was developed as a skunkworks project. The 4.7" model was developed alongside "just in case" the phase change memory could not be brought to market.
    Sep 9, 2014. 10:57 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Micron Technology: What's Up With Phase Change Memory? [View article]
    Phred,

I'm still speculative on PCM with respect to the iPhone 6. If anyone is going to pay extra to be the first-mover, then it will be Apple. If/when this happens, people (reporters) will necessarily visit the Ovonyx.com page just to see what the buzz is all about.

Regards,

Steve
    Aug 10, 2014. 07:45 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Micron Technology: What's Up With Phase Change Memory? [View article]
    Moderation,

I fully believe that the semiconductor industry is about to shake out the small players. If my hypothesis on phase change memory proves correct, then we know the following:

1) Intel is not manufacturing in the near-term: they are using Micron's hybrid memory cube. So MU has a good lead here in the short term.
    2) While Samsung has always been on the bleeding edge of PCM, Intel and Micron have a much simpler PCM design: http://www.cse.psu.edu~xydong/files/proceedi...
    3) Comments from IBM reveal that PCM will impact the sales of spinning disks:

----quote----
    Will disk become irrelevant in the next 3-5 years, I doubt it, however it’s sunset remains to be seen. Disk retirements may actually be quicker than people expect with the invent of new technologies like Phase Change Memory which holds special potential here (the 3D stacked cells PCM will increase capacity significantly).
    ----end quote----

4) Samsung has been at the leading edge of phase change memory for many years now. They have fabbed PCM at 20nm, which means that they probably have commercial products imminent.
    5) Apple now mentions PCM in their patent apps alongside the incumbent memory technologies. They do not mention any other next-gen memory technologies - just PCM (i.e. - foregone conclusion).
    6) Samsung manufactures Apple's mobile chips but the two corporations do not get along very well.
    7) IBM and Hynix signed a PCM manufacturing deal two years ago - this should be ready to bear fruit.
    8) Elpida had tremendous expertise in PCM: http://bit.ly/1pBrybr

In the near-term, PCM will change the world in the form of the hybrid memory cube, which will be available from Micron, Samsung and Hynix out of the gate. Intel will necessarily begin integrating the tech into their processors and this will prove to be a big advantage.

My only concern on Intel is Samsung: we have no idea how far along they are on PCM. I do know that they've documented their results at 20nm, which means that they may be further along than Intel. However, they do not have any x86 processor technology so that protects a giant portion of the market for Intel.

But, if Samsung were to buy AMD, I would unload some Intel.
    Aug 5, 2014. 07:52 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Micron Technology: What's Up With Phase Change Memory? [View article]
    Phase change from Hitachi. Three meeelion IOPS out of an old-school 45nm chip: http://zd.net/1qUhMoG
    Aug 4, 2014. 11:24 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Micron Technology: What's Up With Phase Change Memory? [View article]
    Phred, this is a very messy bankruptcy. ENER management purchased a HUGE heap of "directors and officers insurance". The coverage amount ($10 million) is atypical of a regular bankruptcy - so everyone knew that something was up at this point. It is important to note that the insurance company would only cover events up to, but not including, August 28th, 2012. Micron took ownership of Ovonyx on August 28th. So the insurance company was not willing to bear this risk.

More recently, the insurance company did get involved and attempted to convince the liquidating trustee (Madden) that the D&O insurance was property of ENER and not the officers:

The courts denied this. So things are going to play out over the next few years. Messy.
    Aug 1, 2014. 07:51 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Micron Technology: What's Up With Phase Change Memory? [View article]
    Phred, regarding my speculation on the lack of commercial phase change memory products from Intel and Micron, I honestly have no idea: I am merely grasping at straws. Read the testimony on Micron's Ovonyx purchase: http://bit.ly/1lk3x4C

An issue was raised by the creditors to ensure that the marketing of the sale of Ovonyx was adequate (this concludes on page 26). Now, if the bankruptcy is still open when Intel and Micron announce groundbreaking new phase change memory products, it is possible that the judge might see that he was clearly lied to. I don't know if it would be possible to undo the Ovonyx deal at that point. And I don't think that Intel and Micron are going to risk that.

After all, it has come to light that ENER's creditors profited more from putting them into bankruptcy than they would have if ENER just paid them back per the terms of their debt: http://bit.ly/1lk3uFY

I lost a lot of money on ENER so I am very much biased in all of this. I would love to see justice if my speculation on the disruptive nature of phase change memory is correct.
    Aug 1, 2014. 02:56 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment