Stephen Faulkner

View Stephen Faulkner's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Sirius XM: Shorts Play Into Liberty's Hands, Again [View article]
    What would be the reasoning behind a reverse split? I don't see a reverse split as being done before an RMT. Any reverse split would likely be incorporated into an RMT.
    Jan 25, 2013. 05:38 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sirius XM: Shorts Play Into Liberty's Hands, Again [View article]
    "Keep writing...I sleep better after I read your articles."

Are they that boring? ;)
    Jan 25, 2013. 05:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sirius XM: Shorts Play Into Liberty's Hands, Again [View article]
    Nah... there's no need to rush with it. Slow and steady is the name of the game here.
    Jan 25, 2013. 05:01 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Sirius XM: Shorts Play Into Liberty's Hands, Again [View article]
    " Even if there are points I disagree with by some it never hurts to be cautious, especially when one's $$$ is involved."

I fully agree! Each of the authors presents a unique perspective and I think the four who regularly write here on SIRI do an excellent job of covering the bases. :)
    Jan 25, 2013. 04:59 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sirius XM: Shorts Play Into Liberty's Hands, Again [View article]
    Good to see you Roxie :) Yep, still holding. Actually increased some exposure yesterday with options. We'll see how it plays out. Chose the $2's for Jan 2014 as you can almost triple exposure without too much in time premium.
    Jan 25, 2013. 04:57 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sirius XM Has A New Owner [View article]
    Wrote an AAPL article... they're picky on AAPL so we'll see if it gets through.

Sold 10% of my SIRI $3.09 and bought calls, Jan 2014 $2 strike $1.16 / $1.17 today. Could have possibly waited and gotten cheaper but bought around the 20 day MA instead of waiting for a 50 bounce (if it even gets there). For those that don't understand this play it effectively takes 10% of my SIRI position and nearly triples my exposure to gains / losses from current share prices on that portion.

If the share price hits the 50 day I may do this with another 30% of my position, same expiry and strike. IF it's going to bounce that 50 day it has about 6 trading days left to do so, in my opinion, and would bring RSI down to bear market lows... rather uncharacteristic of SIRI in the bull market we are in now (even if people can't seem to quite figure it out yet).

Very little time premium on these.

I am still looking for that $3.30 before the call or at the very least directly after (though to be fair I have maintained this will happen before the call, and Jan 21 is my cutoff... SIRI has still only hit as high as $3.23 outside of market one day).

For what it is worth AAPL from $400 screams buy, in my opinion, regardless of my personal preference for Android ;) and I may sell some SIRI to enter a bit of a play with AAPL calls if opportunity knocks.
    Jan 24, 2013. 09:56 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sirius XM Has A New Owner [View article]
    I'm here :) Just not much to say. Looking for a 20 or 50 day bounce. :)
    Jan 24, 2013. 01:54 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Liberty Media Goes Over 50% Ownership In Sirius XM [View article]
    I am not suggesting I agree with the word used, merely that I agree with the sentiment and procedure of what will happen. I don't see it as LMCA "extracting" cash, as extraction typically does not conjure images of an even trade (which is what it is, cash for shares) but rather conjures images of, say, a gold miner just taking gold from the ground and leaving a hole... and LMCA is certainly trading shares for cash, not just taking the cash. Though, on the other hand I know what Spencer means.

"1. To draw or pull out, often with great force or effort: extract a wisdom tooth; used tweezers to extract the splinter.
    2. To obtain despite resistance: extract a promise."

The definitions for extract often include with or by force or despite resistance, and I just think the word is poorly used here.

And I agree with you and in my opinion SIRI would have done a share buyback plan regardless. It's just a matter of perspective on these things.
    Jan 21, 2013. 08:45 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Liberty Media Goes Over 50% Ownership In Sirius XM [View article]
    Spencer has been more than reasonable in his debt assumptions. I agree with his perspective completely, that Liberty will not be in a hurry here.

"A debt ratio of 4 to 4.5 to 1 is very manageable for Sirius XM. Liberty does not need to be in a hurry...at least not for now. They can extract the cash, see the benefit of growth, and then spin it out thereby gaining billions in tax benefit."
    Jan 19, 2013. 03:13 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Very Bullish Sirius XM Options Play Has Been Made [View article]
    This play resulted in a profit of $372,945
    Jan 19, 2013. 01:19 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sirius XM Has A New Owner [View article]
    What bank is this? That's really an off the wall statement to make to someone... If anything I would say stocks are one of the shortest term investments (other than simple things like CDs or Money Market accounts which right now pay absolutely nothing...). And when I hear "long term" I think about a year or two at most. It's virtually impossible to buy a stock now with more than a 2 year foresight, at least in tech. You may get a mining stock or drug stock or something like that that you have a little bit of a tip on that pay off big in 3 to 5 years but how one would know anything about the world in 10 years or 20 years, much less a single stock, is beyond me. Consider how many times we have heard about the "flying car" coming out in XX years :P Or even how many times we have heard about mobile WIFI for every car in the "near future" (that one has been going on for years now, and hotspots piggybacked off the old 3G connection do not count on this).

In my opinion stocks require consistent monitoring and attention and are shorter term investments. Some will choose buy and hold and hold fast through dips, some will choose to attempt to trade longer term peaks and valleys, and some will choose to attempt to trade once a month, once a week, or even once a day. Much of that will depend on your experience and you risk tolerance level. For the vast majority "buy once, sell once" is the name of the game. That's how I started myself.

Anyways, in short, stocks are certainly not "more of a long term investment." Call your bank and tell them "The Faulknerian Master Of Truth said...." just for laughs ;)
    Jan 19, 2013. 09:58 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sirius XM Has A New Owner [View article]
    Will do!
    Jan 18, 2013. 07:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sirius XM Has A New Owner [View article]
    I don't really see international expansion. I know it has been mentioned but honestly I feel it's just talk. If they were to pursue this it would require a lot more research on my part to decide if I even wanted to remain an investor. I don't really understand international markets or demand in other countries for satellite radio. Works well in the US with the American love for the automobile, but how would it play out in Japan, for instance? What are the licensing restrictions? What are the costs? With greater wifi coverage in some other countries are there any advantages to launching satellites?

I'd not be too concerned with latin america expansion, and if anything were to go international I'd expect the target to be South America. Even so I am not sure if it would be a positive impact... though rumor and such may cause a quick pop in share price which is honestly not really desirable at this time until SIRI does its buybacks.

I expect we'll see more of the status quo for the next 18 to 24 months.
    Jan 18, 2013. 07:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sirius XM Has A New Owner [View article]
    It didn't really matter much as they didn't have much left to buy. If SIRI has started buying I doubt they have bought much to this point.
    Jan 18, 2013. 06:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment