Stephen Faulkner

View Stephen Faulkner's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Sirius XM: Take Rates In Connected Cars 'Higher' [View article]
    "Sirius may not be losing too many - if any - customers to P (just isn't enough data), but there is no evidence to suggest that the connected car is helping the Sirius business model."

I don't think I suggested that the connected car is helping Sirius' business model, just that it did not appear to be hurting it as some have expected.
    Mar 14, 2013. 10:44 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sirius XM: Take Rates In Connected Cars 'Higher' [View article]
    I think it's the tone of the article. When I read what Frankie typed I don't really take away that they are saying Sirius XM may be a good choice in any sense of the word. It appears they gloss over Sirius XM and brush it aside, saying clearly :

"With the ability to stream Internet audio, which is often free, think twice before paying for a satellite-radio receiver and subscription, unless there's specific Sirius XM content you want and/or you live where data reception is spotty."

Think twice... unless. Put very differently than "Sirius XM may be a good choice." It's all in the delivery and presentation of things. Granted I have not read the article but will seek it out when I get home (Frankie do you have a link for online?)

The problem with P's use of data is that at 21 hours a month it should use about half the plan. Sure, it alone doesn't hit the limit, but it eats into the plan. If I have $20 in a pile and something costs me $11, I only have $9 left for other things before I need to add money to the pile. Yeah the pile is $20 per month use or lose, but if my "non Pandora" stuff costs me $12 in data out of that plan, it can be argued that now I must add another $10 gig of data to support my Pandora listening.

I expect data limits to increase and this become less of an issue as time goes on, but not anytime soon. Girlfriend hits the gym 5 days a week, 45 min to an hour, and can't use P that way because she can't really afford to have an extra data charge with the other stuff she does with her plan. Me, I tether while mobile for work, and my 2 gig comes in very close on a monthly basis. I don't really care about a $10 charge BUT if I use Pandora (and I have) it pushes me over quickly.
    Mar 14, 2013. 08:56 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sirius XM: Take Rates In Connected Cars 'Higher' [View article]
    CN, Frear elaborated on this with his take on the data :

"So what I think that is, is I think it's a set of very technology forward people who want that kind of car, want that enabled vehicle and they are already consuming across multiple channels. We have surveyed our customers a significant component of our customers, stream and stream regularly just like they listened to AM and FM radio; we don't expect to get them exclusively, all right, but we do expect to deliver value so they believe we are worth paying for."

I mean, you can make your own assumptions I guess. Perhaps Frear is not being truthful here or *IS* being truthful in his opinion but doesn't understand the situation... ?

I try to take what people say with a grain of salt but I have little reason to doubt his opinion of the situation in this case. Girlfriend (there she is again!) has Ford Sync, and uses both Sirius and Pandora. Her car is connected in the way they are talking about here... bluetooth, she can run the apps and sync up, etc. It's just a Ford Fusion SEL, not really a high priced car. Wasn't even over $30k loaded.
    Mar 14, 2013. 08:45 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Dats it!
    Mar 13, 2013. 08:37 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    You live in Colorado don't you? : P
    Mar 13, 2013. 08:37 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Sirius XM: 414 Million Shorts Can Be Wrong [View article]
    Welcome LA :) Glad you got this out earlier! I had totally forgot short interest was due out the 11th ... for some reason thought it was the 12th!
    Mar 13, 2013. 08:36 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sirius XM: 414 Million Shorts Can Be Wrong [View article]
    You are right or I am right?

Right....
    Mar 13, 2013. 08:35 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sirius XM: 414 Million Shorts Can Be Wrong [View article]
    nino there's no reason to "short against the box" on a long position if there are no tax benefits to doing so. You'd simply sell the shares.

I've never owned GE. You have me confused with someone else.

You're still a funny guy even if you annoy me sometimes :P kinda getting used to you lol
    Mar 13, 2013. 08:34 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sirius XM: 414 Million Shorts Can Be Wrong [View article]
    WW explains this well. Two points for him here tonight ... perhaps I've been a bit rough on Mr. Timewarp in the past.

Long as he stays away from the mult, we may be heading down a good road... Please don't jerk the wheel into a ditch! :P
    Mar 13, 2013. 08:32 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sirius XM: 414 Million Shorts Can Be Wrong [View article]
    Yah 93 I see your question everywhere... it's been answered over and over so I skipped it this morning. I think I answered you before too... my SIRI stuff is in an IRA and I haven't reviewed all documents yet. Don't think it has an impact now since it's an IRA anyways.
    Mar 13, 2013. 08:31 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Sirius XM: 414 Million Shorts Can Be Wrong [View article]
    It's not that I didn't want to guess, WW. I'm just really pulled in many directions on time lately and don't really have the time to play games.

I appreciate the direct answer afterwards, though, and appreciate you pointing it out. Why not simply include that at the beginning and discuss it ? Could have made for a good discussion here.

Regardless I think you're correct here that it's a big deal and I will be writing on it momentarily. You get full credit for this one :)
    Mar 13, 2013. 08:29 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    So say what it is.
    Mar 13, 2013. 01:09 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Sirius XM: 414 Million Shorts Can Be Wrong [View article]
    Eh... I'll wait until the 1st Q CC for that.

Also regarding the playground reference, it's an open forum. There will always be a few who take to joking around here and there. It's just the personality of some, and pretty easy to navigate around if you dislike it :)

Heck I'd rather a few Nation!s and song parodies than a bunch of stuff that sounds good but sends me in the wrong direction :)
    Mar 13, 2013. 11:53 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sirius XM: 414 Million Shorts Can Be Wrong [View article]
    Are the 7 billion on the other end wrong then?

One set has to be.
    Mar 13, 2013. 11:37 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sirius XM: 414 Million Shorts Can Be Wrong [View article]
    That's a question for Apple :)
    Mar 13, 2013. 11:35 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment