Stephen Faulkner

View Stephen Faulkner's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Sirius XM's $1.325 Billion Short Position Must Be Repaid [View article]
    Amp... I really don't know what to tell you. It went up to 3.25 and you were upset when it retraced and said you were not going to listen to "the hype" anymore. Then it went to $3.25 again... I even put out an article saying $3.25 would be critical and it could bounce back down. Why didn't you sell?

You need to understand that I do not write for the trader, but more for the individual who is in this longer term. My horizon is through the buyback period at least. Most of those I have discussions with directly are looking to buy the stock and allow it to appreciate (and that means riding the waves on up).

You can't expect the stock to just go up up up up. Not going to happen. If you wish to become a daytrader then Sirius XM and other stocks you get into the fundamental story of probably shouldn't be included.

I'll let you in on a little secret... as a long holder of Sirius XM I would absolutely love for the stock price to drop considerably so that Sirius XM can buy its stock back lower, or even glide sideways for an extended period... there's benefit to that, and since I am an investor and not really a trader, I'm more concerned about what is best for SIRI and the *eventual* and not *immediate* effect that will have on the stock.
    Mar 19, 2013. 04:37 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Sirius XM's $1.325 Billion Short Position Must Be Repaid [View article]
    4.25 end of year sure :) 3.40 end of month... might be tight ;) But we'll see.
    Mar 19, 2013. 02:46 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    That's a shame :(
    Mar 19, 2013. 01:11 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Sirius XM's $1.325 Billion Short Position Must Be Repaid [View article]
    Nino what the heck are you talking about?
    Mar 19, 2013. 12:30 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks Blue :)
    Mar 19, 2013. 11:23 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sirius XM's $1.325 Billion Short Position Must Be Repaid [View article]
    Have a moment so I'll try to keep it simple...

Share price is simply a factor of the most someone is willing to pay or the least someone is willing to sell for, at any given time. Supply and demand. Sell being supply, buy being demand.

But supply and demand have some lag to them with the market. This is why you saw Malone being able to purchase stock patiently as it traded sideways, because other factors may have motivated people to sell.

Think of it this way... how many times have you seen Nino scream that the stock is stuck, not moving, dead money, etc. since he sold out of his position? Others may feel that way. There are traders who buy and sell on technicals and may have sold to Malone as the stock was sitting in overbought territory. Maybe some longs were satisfied with their gains up to that point.

It's more a matter of trying to understand the factors which may be moving the price, where the money is going (bid or ask side) and being patient. :)
    Mar 19, 2013. 11:21 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sirius XM's $1.325 Billion Short Position Must Be Repaid [View article]
    Many people are rather successful with that strategy :)
    Mar 19, 2013. 11:14 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sirius XM's $1.325 Billion Short Position Must Be Repaid [View article]
    "Also, when and if this alleged repurchase ever takes place, will it take place on the open market or under the table like the last one did?"

Sirius XM has not previously done a buyback. Feel free to joke around Nino but don't try to spread misinformation.
    Mar 19, 2013. 11:13 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sirius XM's $1.325 Billion Short Position Must Be Repaid [View article]
    When Malone was buying... the stock typically went sideways.

Just because there is buying going on doesn't mean the share price will go up. And um.... having a hard time thinking of how to explain that... maybe someone else can :)
    Mar 19, 2013. 09:55 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sirius XM's $1.325 Billion Short Position Must Be Repaid [View article]
    We better :P I have a rep to uphold here!
    Mar 19, 2013. 09:50 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sirius XM's $1.325 Billion Short Position Must Be Repaid [View article]
    The way I look at the shares tied into the bonds is that they are understood to be there. Many see them as problematic as they figure on conversion the bond shares will flood the market and cause disruption.

I'm not so concerned here with dilution of stake, as I think that dilutive effect is well understood at current pricing. I am more concerned about the shares being sold out into the market quickly, in which case if one believes the bonds are shorted against, the short protects the market from the flood of shares as that flood has already been released by the short.

What actually concerns me is if everyone is wrong about the bonds being hedged short. If they are not... if the bond holders borrowed the shares, shorted, and returned them and did not later re-short, then there could be an issue on conversion. Highly unlikely that this is the case, though, so I really haven't felt need to bring it up.
    Mar 19, 2013. 09:49 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I'm so confused...

Right... the proper play for the bond holders was to short against the bonds. I understand that. Not disputing the play at all. Just considering the short position and potential effects and implications of the number down the road.

To be clear, I am not offering that the bond holders are not intelligent in any way, shape, or form.....
    Mar 19, 2013. 08:55 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sirius XM's $1.325 Billion Short Position Must Be Repaid [View article]
    lol yes the math does do that, which is why I don't usually dig into a bunch of math and keep things general. I tend to have an abstract mind when it comes to math anyways which I don't always communicate well. For instance I move numbers around in my head with clusters of dots in bubbles... and we don't wanna get into that lol ;) Simply communicating concepts :)

Thanks for the nice comment :)
    Mar 19, 2013. 08:48 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Spencer,

correct but consider what happens if the bond holders are not short. The shares likely get sold out into the market. The short picks up those shares and uses them to cover the short position before that happens. I know it's not really buying pressure in the sense that the shorts don't cover through the open market, but it is, in my opinion, similar in that it prevents inevitable selling pressure (which some have communicated could be a problem).
    Mar 19, 2013. 08:45 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sirius XM's $1.325 Billion Short Position Must Be Repaid [View article]
    Well that makes one of us! lol :)
    Mar 19, 2013. 08:02 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment