Stephen Faulkner

View Stephen Faulkner's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Sirius XM: Explaining The 1 Cent 'Miss' In Q1 Earnings [View article]
    Well that was a rant for nothing.

You're misunderstanding. Their *effective* tax rate was as such due to the fact that future tax BENEFIT will be realized (meaning they will pay fewer taxes) and since they already booked future expected taxes under NOL carryforwards in umm.. q2 or q3 2013 I think it was... whenever they booked 52 cents EPS, they need to account for this TODAY and thus they need to remove the NOL benefit decrease.

They didn't pay that percentage. They actually paid NO taxes last quarter at all. None. Had they not booked the NOLS all at once a couple years back they would have posted EPS of 5 cents for the quarter.
    May 5, 2015. 11:37 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sirius XM: Explaining The 1 Cent 'Miss' In Q1 Earnings [View article]
    You're forgetting the increase in debt.

You're also ignoring the impatient who are happy to fill demand.

The floor has increased with company performance, though. Don't measure the ceiling one day and the floor the next and wonder why they are not the same.

Buyback is long term... think multi year.
    May 5, 2015. 11:32 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Sirius XM: Explaining The 1 Cent 'Miss' In Q1 Earnings [View article]
    To be honest it's not something I spend much time thinking about.
    May 4, 2015. 04:50 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sirius XM: Explaining The 1 Cent 'Miss' In Q1 Earnings [View article]
    Thanks all for the nice comments.
    May 4, 2015. 03:22 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sirius XM: Explaining The 1 Cent 'Miss' In Q1 Earnings [View article]
    I think it will, but I'd rather it did not.

Buybacks are a long term issue and not short term. Done properly they should not move the price up as they are being done. Yes I know often they do and then the company overpays but this is not the case here.

It's nice that you are beginning to think about what is best for SIRI shareholders, but as I have said before, it doesn't matter what you think is best. What is best for Malone is what will happen and that means thinking about anything else is a waste of time.
    May 4, 2015. 03:21 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sirius XM: Explaining The 1 Cent 'Miss' In Q1 Earnings [View article]
    Would like to see the same. I don't think a breach of the $4 resistance level stops at $4.50 though. More likely to move near $5.
    May 4, 2015. 03:18 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sirius XM: Explaining The 1 Cent 'Miss' In Q1 Earnings [View article]
    self pay net additions is the result of a lot of factors including current base, churn, existing trials and subsequent conversions both new and used cars, etc.

I'm the wrong person to bring into the whole "X should buy SIRI" or "SIRI should buy Y" conversation. I'll let those who run the companies determine who should buy what :)
    May 4, 2015. 03:17 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Sirius XM: Explaining The 1 Cent 'Miss' In Q1 Earnings [View article]
    No but why go into it unless asked? There's no incentive to investors for the price to be higher during the buyback if it is to be assumed that explaining it would cause that.

The only ones who want the price higher are those looking to sell or trade. There is absolutely no other reason to want a higher price right now for the buy and hold investor.
    May 4, 2015. 03:15 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sirius XM: Why Now Is The Time To Buy [View article]
    Sorry JRF you need to take out the current Q's taxes from that number. Decreases it to around 800,000 thousand (not million as I said up there... though wouldn't that be nice)
    May 3, 2015. 10:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sirius XM: Why Now Is The Time To Buy [View article]
    Ray,

Numerous people have questioned me on the EPS "miss" so I have an article submitted if they publish it.
    May 3, 2015. 09:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sirius XM: Why Now Is The Time To Buy [View article]
    JRF The current value of the deferred tax asset is 937,767 million
    May 3, 2015. 09:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sirius XM: Why Now Is The Time To Buy [View article]
    Hi Ray,

Numerous people have messaged me asking for the reason for the EPS "miss" so I do have an article for tomorrow if they publish it.
    May 3, 2015. 09:08 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sirius XM: Why Now Is The Time To Buy [View article]
    It's unlikely I will. Partially because the comments frustrate me but mostly due to my opinion that $4 will present resistance so I have taken to trading SIRI and I feel that would not be fair / bias my writing based on my short term opinion of price.

I still hold my retirement shares long (only trading my margin account) and have made some commentary on siriusbuzz ahead of some trades if anyone wants to follow. Traded a whole penny today! But there have been a couple 15 cent trades there, 4.04 top called a week before it hit, etc. Have done well.

From a "trading" perspective SIRI still has resistance at $4. The call was fine but the headlines were not. There's a very large overhead position of 7.5 mil shares worth of options at $4 held by what is likely one person / entity also, which allows shorting that area over and over again until they expire mid May. Then there's the options for June at $3.50. If I had to GUESS... stock retains $4 resistance until after June options expiration with a "correction" down to the high $3.60's sometime between now and then and a recovery back up to where we are here. If you try to trade that THAT'S ON YOU. I do not, in any way, suggest any long term long time holder suddenly start to attempt trading.

It's not that the shorts control the price. The price is controlled by whoever has money and whatever they are doing. SIRI buyback can provide some support but it's a trickle compared to the daily trading volume, and traders, not buy and hold longs, determine price activity. Heck a large buyer can control the price and keep it down over time but I won't get into the mechanics... It's just a simple matter of whoever is the big player, so long as they are not competing with other big players and willing to work within the boundaries the traders will play in, they can somewhat control the price.

Read the comments. People still are all wahhh wahhhh this will never get over $4 wahhhhhhh Malone is controlling everything wahhhhh there's too many shares wahhhhhh etc etc etc (sorry if you're one of them lol... I really don't know).

It'll pop eventually. The only time a long should want it to move up is when they want to sell, anyways. In the meantime they should want as low a price as possible to ensure SIRI repurchases as cheaply as possible. Whenever I see longs complain the price isn't up or get impatient I simply assume either they have no idea what the buyback means to them long term or they don't care / want to sell to someone else and be out.

Long term thing. 12 months from now min / max 4.25 / 6 and 24 months min / max 5 / 7 and I believe that's conservative but it does fall within certain boundaries if certain trends hold true.
    May 2, 2015. 12:33 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sirius XM: Why Now Is The Time To Buy [View article]
    Last I checked there should be enough for several years (3 or 4 I think, it really depends on how quickly the company grows that tax #).

I'm being lazy =/ but this should be in the quarterly too.
    Apr 30, 2015. 08:20 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sirius XM: With $4 In Sight, Price Has Gone Parabolic [View article]
    Will depend on the Q1 report.
    Apr 18, 2015. 06:43 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment