Stephen Faulkner

View Stephen Faulkner's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Sirius XM Does Not Need To Raise Prices [View article]
    I just do not see much value in making up news or stories when there is a lack of news or stories. I could come up with ideas all day about what I would do if I were the head of a bunch of companies but that really doesn't help people with their investments. I'd argue that such things serve to confuse more than clarify.

Furthermore your article skips over various issues so you may prove your point, such as stating that Sirius XM should raise prices in part to offset higher royalties. But you understand that Sirius XM has a fee called a music royalty fee, or MRF, which is a floating number and recently went up in order to offset these royalties, so why would Sirius XM increase prices on top of increasing prices?

I get it. SIRI is probably going to be pretty darn boring until the Q2 call other than share price movement and finding stuff to write about in the meantime may be difficult as the "story" has been told and will likely change very little if at all. If stuff is made up ... I'll probably write an article in disagreement and point out the errors / things which are simply made up.
    May 30, 2013. 01:38 PM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • I'd Pay $400 For 'This Apple' [View article]
    Awwww DRAT! ;)
    Jan 25, 2013. 08:05 PM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Getting Serious About Sirius XM [View article]
    "Liberty Media owns close to 50% of all shares and has "capped" the share price at $2.15 by stating they will not pay more for the shares"

Where did Liberty Media state this? If you can find it I will be very very very surprised. They are also paying $2.15 share price plus fees, which are estimated to be at $0.15 per share, making the total they are paying $2.30.

"Mel Karmazin has been exercising his options for cash, not for shares"

Incorrect. Mel has been exercising his options and converting them for shares at the strike price, paying for them, and then reselling those shares.

"Karmazin has sold roughly half of his position, and the "dumping" could continue for another 3-6 months"

Actually, his sales will continue as outlined in the plan disseminated in February of this year. You are also incorrect in stating he has sold half his position. He has sold a quarter of his position, has plans to convert and sell half total, and has no plans currently to sell the other 50%, or 60 million shares he has in options, or the roughly 10 million shares he holds personally. Mel is actually selling out less than half of his total shares, which begs the question, why would he keep over 50% of his stake, including his personally held shares which are not in options, if he lacks faith in the stock?

"Traders are staying away because the RSI (relative strength index) has been terrible to trade within as has the very narrow range "

Really? 5% swings aren't enough for traders? I think you're mistaken here. You're throwing out a term like "RSI" and saying that this is the reason traders have stayed away from the stock. What, then, has moved the price of SIRI up and down 5%, and what has caused the volume? How did this happen with no trades?

"I have read all sorts of articles recently that have suggested various ways to make money by owning SIRI shares. Mostly it has to do with buying shares and selling covered calls. That does make some sense if you were bullish about the stock, but actually if you were bullish about the stock you would just buy and hold."

You're completely wrong here. Selling covered calls is a strategy for those who are mildly bullish. What you are saying "the stock is stuck" is the PERFECT situation for one to buy a stock and sell covered calls! If I buy a stock today at $2 and have a bullish sentiment of 20% appreciation in a year, and sell a $2.50 covered call a year out for $0.15 per, and the stock appreciates to $2.40, I make MORE than if I had merely bought and held the stock. If you are interested in learning about options strategies there are many informative books out there, or even resources on the web. Covered calls are honestly the first option strategy one learns, and it's a bullish strategy. I do see you've said it makes sense if you are bullish on the stock, but then you contradict and conclude saying it doesn't make sense if you are bullish, as anyone bullish would buy and hold.

"It is my opinion that the share price will continue its death march (either down or sideways) until Liberty Media finally takes complete control, or when Mel Karmazin finally leaves"

But you suggest holding the stock if one owns it? Why would you suggest an individual hold a stock that will "continue its death march"?

While I agree this is not the time to buy back in to SIRI for myself, and that SIRI is currently in a downtrend, your reasoning has a lot of holes or is quite simply misinformed in some cases.

"That is the reason I have a lifetime subscription and always will, no matter who owns the company."

Well of course you "always will." It's a lifetime subscription... if Pee Wee Herman takes over the company you'll still have a subscription.... lol :)
    Jun 26, 2012. 09:25 AM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sirius XM Might Be Due For A Breakout [View article]
    Any stock is one bad earnings away from a sell off. That should be a concern with any ticker.
    Jan 27, 2015. 04:00 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sirius XM: Thoughts On Manipulation [View article]
    My wasting your time here or did you mean "you're wasting your time here"?

My losing money by waiting or did you mean "you're losing money by waiting"?

Do we take your advice after you learn the correct use of you're and your, or do we ignore that and take you're advice before your education is complete?

Oh my goodness it's contagious... noooo...
    Nov 29, 2014. 04:42 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sirius XM: Thoughts On Manipulation [View article]
    Such as fine articles by The Shock Exchange! ;) Oh my goodness...

Nothing else has grabbed my interest at the moment, though if Oil drops to about $35 I'm in :)
    Nov 28, 2014. 05:03 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • After Losing Lawsuit On Royalties, Sirius 'Not Happy' With The Turtles [View article]
    The payments will be small or nonexistant for back dated stuff, and will take years to go through. This will be a lot of time and money spent by both sides for a bunch of lawyers to make money and that's about it.
    Oct 20, 2014. 03:53 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sirius XM, Liberty Media And Pie [View article]
    Liberty Mutual? Really?

Perhaps the 13th comment is unlucky but barely anything you said above makes any sense.

Regarding EPS, read my article before this. Understand it. Once you do, come back.

See you in a few years? :)
    Aug 13, 2014. 07:19 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Few Reasons Why Sirius XM Should Be Avoided [View article]
    I need to start writing daily articles again... because it seems like SIRI gets daily doses of nonsense... again.

Here, Mitu. Not that you will read them or comment here but these may help you as you begin to try and analyze companies. Specifically SIRI. They should explain why you are seeing some of the things you are seeing. I think your misunderstanding comes from a superficial "first glance" analysis and you would be better served by digging deeper to understand the "why" behind the numbers and their comparisons Q-Q and Y-Y.

Aug 9, 2014. 11:44 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sirius XM: Q2 Profit Up 7.7% Year-Over-Year If You Look Closely [View article]
    That's a heck of a compliment JRF77 and I really appreciate it. Obviously my analysis doesn't pick apart the income side too (for instance the income attributed to the SIRI Canada special dividend) but for the purposes of example I felt it best not to complicate the situation too much. Eyes start to glaze over by the middle of this article for many already would be my assumption.

I'm glad you suggested people should not try to value based on P/E. It's fine for a quick glance / stock screen type analysis but because it is so very basic in calculation it is open to a massive range of errors. It seems many novices start by using P/E because it's "easy" but I find people quickly graduate from using that metric in a meaningful way... Some don't, unfortunately.

I'd say free cash flow per share is probably the best way to look at SIRI right now, especially considering what they are trying to do with share buybacks as that is what will drive the current objective forward. And I agree that there's a lower valuation on untaxed earnings as they will undoubtedly be subject to tax in the future. For SIRI, that's a relatively long ways out, though, much to the benefit of the current objective :)
    Aug 4, 2014. 12:22 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sirius XM: Right On Track For A Break Towards $4 Per Share [View article]
    Regarding "Do it Doug!".... http://bit.ly/1oHL5Ut

Regarding : "I had it for years and no movement" I never understand when people say this. Years is plural, so two... and I can find no two or more year period in which SIRI did not move. Silly :)
    Jul 16, 2014. 10:28 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sirius XM: Caught Between Apple, Google, Amazon And A Hard Place [View article]
    Exactly!
    Jun 30, 2014. 06:41 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    "That's funny, wasn't it you, WSP, who wrote an article awhile back about how Apple SHOULD buy Sirius?"

I need to stop drinking chocolate milk while reading these comments! Ends in disaster every time.

To answer your question... yes he did. :)
    Jun 30, 2014. 03:57 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sirius XM: $4 Per Share Will Depend On Q2 Report [View article]
    You can laugh. It's ok :)
    Jun 27, 2014. 01:47 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Will Apple And Amazon Take Down Sirius XM? [View article]
    "This is the type of stuff we have to tolerate with the legalization of marijuana! lol"

Jun 24, 2014. 03:09 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment