Stephen Faulkner

View Stephen Faulkner's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Sirius XM: What Fiscal Cliff? Seize Opportunity [View article]
    Ok I'll bite on this one too. The author is spending the evening with his girlfriend who is returning home to be with her family for Christmas as of tomorrow, and taking a night off.

Notice the commenter apparently has an attitude problem and is not offering a single thing constructive here. Notice the commenter is apparently sitting at home playing flame troll on the internet rather than doing something productive.

In short, I hope the commenter receives lumps of coal for christmas. Given the uptight nature of his post he could probably produce diamonds with them if he thinks hard enough about where to place them.

To the rest of you, Merry Christmas (and wash your diamonds if you get any, just in case....).
    Dec 21 10:19 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sirius XM Shorts Squeezed Badly [View article]
    I figure it was short covering on CRB news. LMCA buys will come out in a form 4 over the next few days if there were any, and SIRI could have started buying but I'd be surprised if the company buys here.

I don't want to shift the conversation but the CT thing made me cry today. Felt useless. I really don't know what else to say.
    Dec 14 05:53 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Note To Pandora Investors: You Have No Moat, No Walls [View article]
    In order to get two comments from you this fine morning.
    Oct 16 08:09 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sirius XM Investors : Web 2.0, Apple, Pandora, And The Boogeyman Should Not Scare You [View article]
    Have no fear... Kofi has an article from a few months ago saying Web 2.0 is doomed as well.

We're all gonna die, apparently. Everything is going to hell :P
    Sep 28 03:59 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Web 2.0 Will Destroy Sirius XM Radio [View article]
    A quote from Kofi's facebook page for Onyx Investments. Posted in 2010 on 9/16 :

"I am always the last one to figure out some technology. Just be patient"

Referring to figuring out how to use Facebook....

Ahhh Kofi... the expert on Web 2.0 a mere 2 years later... ;)
    Sep 28 12:33 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sirius XM : With Liberty Buying, Where Does The Share Price Go This Week? [View article]
    Just want to make quick mention... be aware of nonsense floating around that Liberty converting their preferred to common will cause "dilution" in the stock. The preferred stake has always been taken into account when reporting earnings and conversion will not affect those earnings in a negative way. Also, converted shares are not suddenly up for sale as Liberty needs to retain them.

So no, conversion will not dilute the stock.
    Aug 20 06:02 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 302 Million Sirius XM Shares Should Be Delivered To Liberty Media Wednesday [View article]
    "Review the "fundamentals" as you see them (or reference a recent article) and make the case for buying stock in SIRI. Use a few valuation metrics as well. Thanks."

Mrs. Dalton? Is that you???

Sheesh for a minute there I thought you were my 7th grade English teacher....

So how would you like me to do this ? Straight P/E? Debt to equity ratio? Book value?

Does it matter? :) Will the Sirius "kool-aid" drinkers care, as you call them? You do remember when you commented in my article in March :

"I see you have a lot of people drinking Sirius kool-aid here. I'll be back, right after March 7, to give you all the scoop and why Pandora will see better returns over the long term"

But you never returned as promised after March 7th to give everyone the scoop? Make you a deal. Seems you have unfinished business since March, and I see you are an author, so once you have produced an article about why Pandora will see better returns over the long term I might entertain your homework assignment.
    Jul 10 06:01 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Getting Serious About Sirius XM [View article]
    My position is cash... I am not long or short SIRI at present so not really defending anything. You really didn't address anything I wrote... just made another incorrect assumption.
    Jun 26 09:50 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Check Your Scales: Pandora Is A Net Exporter Of Content [View article]
    *Sigh*

"Just listen to the reason Faulkner is shorting Pandora"

No. Replace "the" with "one" and quote further parts of the article. Cherry picking one reason and expanding (in erroneous fashion) is misrepresenting my reasons. Consider what I say :

"I want on-demand, not "give me a playlist I may or may not like" when I am in a position to provide my own input."

1) I want on demand
    2) I do not want a playlist.

You offer that:

"In other words, it's not just about listening to music. It's about listening to music the way you want to. And Pandora delivers in this dimension. Over a long period of time, it gathers a profile of your tastes in music to the point that, no matter what mood you're in, Pandora can pick songs for you better than you can pick songs for yourself. At this point, Pandora is no longer an importer of content -- it is more of an exporter."

But my point is "on demand" in the sense that Spotify offers, such that (and I am crystal clear on this in my articles) :

"If I may suggest, Sirius XM should consider partnering with Spotify or purchasing them outright, rather than attempting to design their own service and pursue their own licensing for IP delivery on a demand basis, as Spotify already offers this currently. The future is the cloud, in almost all respects."

I am clear that Spotify is this on demand service I am referring to, and absolutely not the "streaming playlist" of Pandora. To pull one sentence and then suggest that Pandora is what I am seeking, when I specifically state that it is not, is misrepresenting me, and doing your readers a disservice.

I could go on and on as there are many other errors and problems with what you have written regarding what you state about my position and say my position is, but I urge the readers to read both my article detailing exactly why I am short Pandora, as well as my article about positioning for the future with regards to Sirius XM.

It is quite clear that I bought shorter term puts against Pandora due to technical reasons, and the stock flirting with danger at the $10 level, combined with some of my longer and shorter term views surrounding the company. I see absolutely no reason to cover this 'short' currently, because nothing has changed with the trajectory of the share price. I may cover near $9.75 if it gets there, which would put me at about break even, but it's not even close to being back to that at the moment.

As to your article, while your writing is rather abstract I think you offer some good insight at times even if I may disagree. But I question whether you actually read my positions and reasons for buying the puts when I did, and if you did, if you actually understood them? I mean, you do understand that April $10 Pandora puts expire next week, right? Because of this, Pandora being an "exporter" of content that may do well in the future really has no bearing on my short position, and doesn't mean I should cover it immediately... Even the smaller May position and again smaller than that June $9 positon are still "near term."

I'll update when and if I decide to cover, why, and the results at the time in an article or on the article where I went short, though. Feel free to keep an eye out for it.
    Apr 13 03:50 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 Stocks To Buy, 1 To Avoid For Long-Term Media Investors [View article]
    All the very best to you as well, Rocco, in everything that you pursue.
    Mar 29 06:54 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sirius XM Trial Offers Cannot Overcome Demographics [View article]
    Hi,

Clicks matter to some extent. It's not the whole game but it's part of it. Just recently finished a conversation with another author about the same thing.

What concerns me is that authors have the conviction to follow what they are saying to everyone else. I see lots of articles with absolutely no position, or a token position in the stock / company, yet this constant stream of criticism or praise. I'm not quite sure what to make of that. I write frequently about SIRI as I am heavily invested and that's the vast majority of my reason for writing about SIRI. Right now I'd likely do it for free.

If the day came that I was not invested... any articles I would write here would be for clicks. Why waste time following a company to such extent if you have no financial interest in it either way?
    Mar 25 12:58 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sirius XM Trial Offers Cannot Overcome Demographics [View article]
    I appreciate the response Rocco. Quite a bit.

"That said, you're confusing short-term predictions with long-term vision. Two incredibly different things."

I absolutely agree that these are two different monsters here. Due to my investing horizon of 6 to 12 months long term, I think even my personal long term views might be seen as short term to many. The way I view "technology" is that it is very difficult to predict where any little electronic gadgets or services based around said gadgets, will be in 3 to 5 years. I do look 3-5 years out but only with a very very speculative "maybe" type view on these types of stocks.

Perhaps time will tell that your longer term vision is correct, but I think it's a bit of folly to apply it to the shorter term, and I believe Sirius XM looks promising within the 6 to 12 month time frame.

Other stocks... like Molycorp (MCP), which I'm entering as a play on increased rare earth demand as we move towards electric vehicles among other things, I do look further out, but a mining corporation is quite different from a tech based stock.

Like I said, long time reader, and I'll continue to do so, even if I disagree with your opinions. I encourage others to do the same.
    Mar 25 11:59 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Wake Up Sirius XM: Smart Money Is Leaving [View article]
    If you look at ALL "smart money" then you will see that there was a net INFLOW of money into the stock suggesting that smart money is BUYING MORE than it is selling.

Your comment above about to Joseph begs a response as well :

"Sirius is not a buy right now. The market is telling you that and has been over the past month. The only people making money now are the computers via 100 block trades. "

Just because the share price has not moved, does not mean that people are not making money. I've made money in the past 30 days... about 11%, not spectacular, but I have made money on SIRI.
    Feb 16 02:05 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sirius XM Set To Resume Share Buybacks [View article]
    You sure they screwed up? Or were those things there on purpose to remove the question of "why did they stop buying back?"

Not one for conspiracy theories but I find it horribly difficult to believe that restrictions like this were MISSED by the many who review this stuff. :P Come on now...
    Apr 17 08:52 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sirius XM Set To Resume Share Buybacks [View article]
    A year ago the share price closed at $3.00 per share. Today it closed at $3.14.

The only way you could be short $55K from then to now (assuming you entered a position and then held) is if you were holding on to a short position.

I doubt management is going to be able to explain how, if you went long at $3, you are down by $55k at $3.14 :)
    Apr 17 07:34 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment