Stephen Frankola

View Stephen Frankola's Comments BY TICKER:
  • First Solar Now in Its Third Leg Up [View article]
    Tenfold!?! You are a joke! A market cap of $220 billion? That's bigger than Conoco, Chevron, or Wal-Mart. Dream on!

I don't dispute that alternative energy will become increasingly important in the future. But the solar stocks have already priced in years of growth. It's like people that bought Google at $750 - you might break even or make money eventually, but the business is temporarily overvalued. (And yes, I make that statement as google is back at $520 after a ridiculous $70 gain.)
    Apr 17 09:14 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Amazon, the Perfect Short? [View article]
    i don't disagree, and I was short AMZN for a while. however, it was a much better candidate at $100... its a more reasonable value now.
    Apr 10 07:47 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Thoughts on Individual Stock Selection [View article]
    morningstar.com also has 10 year valuations
    Apr 7 08:05 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Financial Stocks' Future Earnings Estimates: Is This a Joke? [View article]
    it's not hard to beat last year's numbers (especially q4) by a bajillion percent... considering the losses posted at the end of last year.
    Mar 26 02:45 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • World Grain Markets at a Critical Point [View article]
    i think it's a sign of a bubble whenever people are breaking down ag commodities into 10 geographical regions and reporting weather on a week-by-week semi-superficial basis.

i'm not saying a potential investor should ignore important fundimental data, like, if a major drought is occurring in a major breadbasket. but to me, analysis on this level is a manifestation of mass hysteria, a la housing bubble circa 2006-7 or tech bubble almost ten years ago.
    Mar 25 05:30 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Continuing the Jim Cramer Truth Watch [View article]
    I agree with all of the criticisms - he is too much of a pumper and trend-follower.

On a similar note, he's doing a show at my school (Penn State) in the next week or two. I have tickets, but I'll probably walk out halfway through as the idiots cheering him on become intolerable.
    Mar 24 12:07 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Commodities Bubble Needs to Burst [View article]
    Dude - in 1999 I was 10 years old, and not involved in the stock market yet... so maybe while I was building LEGOs you were losing 90% of your savings.

Dieuwer and Malkeil - I clearly state that the devaluation of the dollar is partly responsible for the increase in prices. However, that is not the sole reason for the parabolic increases.

Billb - I said that the government could help the problem by promoting a strong-dollar policy and eliminating ethanol subsidies.
    Mar 3 09:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I'm Now Ready to Run With Crocs [View article]
    First, the article was not intended to be about cramer - there was just a brief mention of him.

Secondly, if anything, the high percentage of short interest makes this an even stronger buying opportunity. Chances are, many of those short shares were sold on the way down. If CROX continues to creep back up, many investors may rush to close their positions, further driving up the price.
    Dec 10 07:57 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment