Stephen J Melnykevich

View Stephen J Melnykevich's Comments BY TICKER:
  • What Is 'Quality' In A Stock? [View article]
    Dave,

I put all your stocks (current year 2014 ebook) into a portfolio on FAST Graphs and when I look to add to a position or start a new one it is almost exclusively from your list or what I currently own.

It's a proven strategy that has worked well for me for 3 years.
    Apr 26 04:21 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Retired? How To Create A Strong Foundation Of Valuation Under Your Portfolio: Part 2 [View article]
    @jstratt

1.) I have a question. What would be your top picks in the current investing climate Jstratt? Any why?
    Apr 26 01:42 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What Is 'Quality' In A Stock? [View article]
    Wouldn't it be safe to argue that certain sectors are outliers. For example, tobacco consistently has Dividend yields above 4% but also outperform the general market when evaluated long term .
    Apr 25 12:08 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: Let Us Not Get Overexcited [View article]
    @TV

I disagree. It would not make financial sense to re-repatriate the money back to the US because of the taxes in doing so. Instead, AAPL borrows at historically low rates which it then uses to buyback shares. The benefit of the rate in comparison to the div yield allow them to pay less dividends to others (by way of buyback), increases EPS and stock growth (indirect benefit of investors realizing the improvement). Add into the mix a potential new product that they are surely aware of and that is a recipe for long term success.

There is literally nothing else AAPL could have done yesterday.

I'm long AAPL at $475 and re-investing dividends.
    Apr 24 11:49 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • AT&T: A High Dividend Yield Buying Opportunity Presents Itself [View article]
    @Chowder

Just for clarification. I am expected to receive a state pension when I retire at around 55. With state government you are no eligible to collect SS. I believe the same is with federal government as well. However, even without SS those with gov. pensions are certainly better off.
    Apr 24 02:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Here is my vote for a part III !
    Apr 23 07:30 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Real Premium Smartphones Are Not iPhones [View article]
    @Michael Blair,

While I don't agree with most of what you write I do find value in some of your articles. It enjoy reading them as one can only be fully informed when evaluating both sides of every argument/stock.

I sincerely feel for you on your short calls but as a long term investor one person's loss is someone's gain. When it comes to AAPL I hope the valuation improves and the earnings continue to be the best of breed. However, I wish you best on every other stock and keep the articles coming.

"A wise man should have money in his head, but not in his heart."
    -Jonathan Swift
    Apr 23 06:38 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Constructing And Designing The Stock Portfolio That's Just Right For You: Part 1 [View article]
    Maybe you should write an article my good friend. I love your comments and it is real world results for us dividend investors.

Great stocks by the way ! My top 3 right now are AAPL (just split 7:1), KO (split after I bought in 2012 or 2011), and PM. I am sure with those and my others (AFL, CVX, BP, JNJ) I"ll be sharing tales in the future that are similar to yours.
    Apr 23 06:31 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Loved this comment. Would you share any of your other successful stocks. Us younger guys love to see real world owners sharing their results of invest for 2 decades with dividends reinvested.
    Apr 22 07:36 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Warren Buffett, Berkshire Hathaway, And Dividend Growth Investing [View article]
    I often wonder the same.
    Apr 15 01:13 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: Learn From Andy Zaky's Mistake [View article]
    Scott,

I am younger (30) and since I have a pension working for state government I am taking a bigger risk on AAPL than most would. I have half my 40K within my Roth in AAPL as the stock has such a great valuation. My average price is about $485.66 so I am sitting pretty comfortable especially since it appears AAPL has set its own baseline for repurchasing shares around $500.

It's amazing when AAPL is valued below almost every one of it's peers yet makes more in profit than all of them combined. Like you stated, with a dividend...buyback....and valuationon zero growth this is an excellent company to own.
    Mar 30 07:33 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why The Highest-Yielding Dividend Stocks Deliver The Best Capital Gains [View article]
    Good point, I actually did do that when I ran my specific numbers. I played it safe and had a terminal value of 3M so my CAGR for 30 years would be roughly 15.59% based on my current assets of aprox. 39K .

I think that high of a CAGR might be tough but not impossible. Thankfully I have time on my side.
    Mar 30 07:28 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    great resource, thank you.
    Mar 30 06:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: Learn From Andy Zaky's Mistake [View article]
    Scott,

I agree completely. I think he has the correct analysis but when you try to discuss a time frame the market can burn you.

A lot of strong companies you can determine "THAT" a company deserve higher value but never "WHEN" the market will recognize that same valuation.
    -which is good, because a rationale market would never allow increased profits for those whom are patient
    Mar 30 05:44 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    @as10675

How much did you invest before you got to the $1M part in 38 years. I'm 30 right now and trying to figure out the milestones you hit along the way to try to mirror myself.

Congrats on the wealth, I hope you continued success.
    Mar 30 05:40 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment