Stephen J Melnykevich

View Stephen J Melnykevich's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Searching For Value And Finding It In Today's Market - Sector By Sector [View article]
    Thank God, another Chuck Carnevale article. I think I was going into withdrawal.

I am looking forward to your article on the energy/oil sector as I believe that is where there is currently the most amount of value .

Is there a time frame for when we can expect these articles, specifically the first one?

Thoroughly enjoy your articles and continue to be a loyal reader.
    Jun 14, 2013. 02:22 PM | 35 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apps Won't Save Apple [View article]
    @Fauxscot

One of the best comments of 2013...and just days before voting stopped as well.
    Dec 28, 2013. 01:43 PM | 19 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Something Is Definitely Broken With The Market [View article]
    Care to explain the justification for the fundamentals?

A company with negative earnings will only last so long. Please give me concrete reasons as to why you think that AAPL (with growing earnings and no debt) is fundamentally less valuable then Amazon (with negative earnings and debt.)

By the way, AAPL has iphone, macs, and that funny thing called itunes. Each sector could itself be a fortune 500 company. If iPad were its own company it would have earnings greater that MCD, NIke, GAP ect.
    Jan 14, 2013. 04:31 PM | 15 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Best Investment Advice: Watch Your Fellow Investors And Do The Opposite [View article]
    A Greek, an Italian, and a French guy all walk out of a bank. That's not a joke. I'm just describing what's going on in Europe right now....
    Jun 1, 2012. 01:48 PM | 14 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Newsflash: The Dividend Aristocrats Found The Lost Decade [View article]
    Another phenomenal article.

If I can make a suggestion for another article. Perhaps an article for a follow up on "43 Dividend Champions On Sale: A Rare Opportunity" or " The Top 25 Best Dividend Challengers To Buy Today". Or maybe a new article based on those excellent writings.

Between you and Tim M., I learn more from your articles then the wealth of books I've read over the years regarding this topic. Thank you !
    May 1, 2012. 12:32 PM | 14 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Valuations, Goals And The Stock Selection Process [View article]
    @ Chowder,

Use some of your JNJ dividends and purchase some pain relief and get back to writing ! Loved the article and sincerely hope to see more in the future.
    Dec 9, 2014. 04:54 PM | 13 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Retirement: Where Should A Beginner Begin? (Part 3) [View article]
    If what you say is true, investing in the market is truly the least of your problems.

"There's a very strong possibility that the U.S.A will cease to exist..." this statement could not be further from the truth. I have read quite a bit on geopolitics. The United States is truly only in our young adolescence, and as we mature further we will only become more successful. A process that is measured in decades and centuries.

I'll continue to invest in blue chip dividend paying stocks, while you build your doomsday shelter. We'll compare notes in a few decades.
    Apr 28, 2012. 12:48 PM | 12 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Own These World's Leading Brands And Never Fear A Recession Again [View article]
    I'll buy coke when it hit's 128 years, is sold in 201 countries and has at least 50 billion in sales. Anything less is just speculation and you are taking an aggressive investment.

In other news today, hell froze over and Santa's elves were photographed in the Bahamas.

In all seriousness. If someone said to me today that I had to pick a stock that will be around in 2113 I would likely choose these in this order.

1. KO
    2. PG
    3.JNJ
    Jun 7, 2013. 12:11 AM | 11 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividends Matter If They Matter To You [View article]
    Hi...I'm Steve. I've been consuming dividends since 2011.

I've been told by many to quit but just can't seem to heed their advice. Worst of all, I use the dividends to perpetuate my addiction further. I have a fear that in 2-3 decades I will be consuming more dividends per month that my total habit in the last several years. My addiction is compounding at an alarming rate.
    Aug 15, 2014. 04:54 PM | 10 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Investing In Dividend Champions At Sound Valuation Reduces Risk And Increases Return [View article]
    Old Folks,

Appreciate the kind words. I sometimes enjoy more the personal experiences and quirks more then the investment on this site. Though the investment advice is outstanding.

David C has extensive knowledge on Coca Cola and by listening to his insight in both the business as well as how he approached the job when he was there was unbeknownst to him a small lesson to me on how to approach work and life.

Chuck C. is so incredibly able to explain complex thinking that it is astounding. His advice has and will surely continue to improve my investing success. An his F.A.S.T graphs has now become completely ingrained in how I do my DD.

Chowder, well his quirk is he is a Boston fan but I would sit down and buy him a beer any day and his son for that matter. Well maybe I'd have his son buy me a beer since his 3 million portfolio is running full speed ahead.

David Van Knapp's TOP 40 DIVIDEND GROWTH STOCKS FOR 20XX is probably the best single ebook investment one can make each year !

David Fish has shared with us his hard work by providing us with his CCC lists of Dividend Champions which is where I refer to anytime I begin a screen.

Norman, MB, Rose, Miz, Tim Mc., Nadel all provide insight into their investing thinking that it helps validate your own views or provides an alternative view to consider which only helps make you a better investor.

I could go on and on regarding our DGI community but I don't want to make it seem any more like a cult than I already have. We really should get a convention or something together to all get a chance to meet and share ideas.
    Nov 8, 2013. 09:39 PM | 10 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What If Long-Term Dividend Investors Buy Before A Crash? [View article]
    Tim's lengthy reply should be a be an "editors choice comment."
    May 17, 2013. 01:55 PM | 10 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Something Is Definitely Broken With The Market [View article]
    A voice of reason.

I completely agree. It can only go on for so long, because earnings dictate stock price when examined on a long term basis.
    Jan 14, 2013. 04:22 PM | 10 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Are Any High Quality Companies Decently Valued At The Moment? [View article]
    Char,

I feel apple remains undervalued. The price movement is actually a combination of multiple positives.

1. Beat low consensus and ended 3 quarters of coming in somewhat disappointingly

2. Increased buy back to 90 mil from 60 mil.

3. Stock split in June (Arguably does nothing to fundamentals but historically does cause prices to rise as a result of the psychological affect)

4. Stock split of 7:1 will make it more likely that it would be included in the Dow Jones Industrial Average index (DJIA)

5. Increase dividend this year with healthy payout ratio

6. Huge amount of cash on balance sheet, albeit it overseas. However when doing their accounting AAPL includes in what the report the tax consequences each year. So if they were to repatriate today the tax consequence would be accurate. However, if the government allows a tax holiday or lowers the rate this would be a surprise increase to the balance sheet.

7. Upcoming products. This likely includes larger and updated iphone and Ipad lines with Mac thrown in there for good fortune. It's a matter of if not when as to brand new products. The release of a completely new product will bring in more earnings and cause momentum towards the stock price.

8. People underestimate the significance of their large customer base and credit cards already connect to accounts. This makes them a small and growing company that if set off as it's own would be similar to V and MA though smaller in size.

9. Technology stocks are losing funds over the last few weeks with the exception of AAPL and Microsoft. Where do you think people will put their money when they pull out of the Amazon's, Facebooks, etc.?

All of these reasons contribute to AAPL being a great long term buy. I don't know if it will be around in 2 or 3 decades but AAPL will be profitable at least through the next 5-7 years.

My current fair value is between $750 and $800 with earnings of $46.45 for 2014 and a PE of 18 (which is still Arguably low for AAPL but compariable to the sector).
    Apr 28, 2014. 03:39 PM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple's Solar Powered iPhone 6 And iPod Touch Under A Sapphire Hood [View article]
    Easily the best article I've read in 2014.

It was well written, informative, and backed by great research. Well done. You have a new follower and I look forward to what you put out next.
    Jan 26, 2014. 01:42 PM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Finding Satisfaction With Your Investments [View article]
    I am quite on par with your goals as well. "Slow and steady wins the race" with our race pertaining to investing goals. Dividend investing allows for us to reach our goals with less risk, and more consistently over the long term.

I will be sharing my portfolio once it is up and running at some point in February and look forward to your thoughts. I am especially looking forward to yours if you ever do decide to start and/or share with us.

Like always, excellent article. Whenever I see crazy headlines in the news (i.e. pending France downgrade) I reread one of your articles to remind myself that it truly it not important over the long haul.
    Jan 13, 2012. 03:17 PM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment