Stephen Mayo

View Stephen Mayo's Comments BY TICKER:

• Kinder Morgan Has Never Been This Cheap [View article]
    Please don't tell me we are debating whether a subsidy is the same as a permitted business expense to be deducted or depreciated against gross income.

I'm pretty thick when it comes to accounting, but even I get the difference.
    Nov 29, 2015. 12:41 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Kinder Morgan Has Never Been This Cheap [View article]
    First, I didn't say "pollute less." I was referencing the over all footprint. People think that just because no hydrocarbons are burned in the car there is no hydrocarbon impact. And they for get the batteries. Nasty things, batteries.

Nov 29, 2015. 12:37 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Exxon Mobil - The Company Will Become Great Once Again [View article]
    How do they make electricity? If not petrochemicals, then what? Nukes? There's a great solution; thirty years of power and 10,000 years of hazardous waste. Wind? Only if its Al Gore speaking. Solar, well, for some but not all. Any idea how many square yards of panel equals one barrel of oil? Like it or not, oil is here to stay.
    Nov 29, 2015. 12:30 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Kinder Morgan Has Never Been This Cheap [View article]
    I submit that fossil fuels are only on the decline due to the non-economic, political basis for policy decisions. Alternative energy is becoming more viable in more places, but has yet to prove practical without direct and indirect subsidies. And since a Prius has a bigger environmental footprint than a Hummer, due to the batteries, and since electric cars require distant power plants and expensive transmission systems, this strategy is far from a proven solution.

I'll bet oil is still cheaper, and can be consumed in a more environmentally friendly manner that electricity.
    Nov 25, 2015. 08:47 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How High Can Kinder Morgan's Dividend Go? [View article]
    KMI is a great example of two important lessons:

1. Never put more than 5% of your portfolio in any one company;
    2. You can't predict the future.
    Nov 18, 2015. 01:44 PM | 32 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Retirement Strategy: Dividend Aristocrats In My Buy Zone Today [View article]
    That is SOOOO hard to remember when prices get tempting.
    Nov 14, 2015. 10:59 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Retirement Strategy: Dividend Aristocrats In My Buy Zone Today [View article]
    Driving in Boston prepared me to race cars on the track.
    Nov 14, 2015. 10:57 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Has Apple Started The Mac's Decline? [View article]
    My experience has been the opposite.

Viruses in Windows have caused the loss of mission critical development data.

System instability has caused lengthy restarts (hourly) on edit machines running windows.

Design and video software has been less stable over the many years on Windows.

Apple, despite the annoyances, has been better for me in these areas.

Windows probably has been great for some folks. Just not for me.
    Nov 11, 2015. 12:23 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Has Apple Started The Mac's Decline? [View article]
    "I think if you're looking at a PC, why would you buy a PC anymore? No really, why would you buy one?"

And that, ladies and gentlemen is the T in SWOT.

Apple put itself on the map by providing a tool for the creative community. This is why Apple survived while Compaq, Tandy, et al, did not.

As the years have gone by, and the initial success led to success with the consumer, where the big volumes lie, Apple has gradually made life more difficult for the creatives. For example, they've abandoned Final Cut 10 in droves because the interface is one great step backwards, and have migrated to Adobe Premier, which was once the consumer grade product. The new tower also has hamstrung video pros. At least the one's I work with. The old aluminum towers are still used, and appreciated, in ways the new one is not because it locks third part expansion cards out.

The future of creative work environments should be fascinating.
    Nov 10, 2015. 12:27 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • AT&T's Dividend: It's A Red Herring [View article]
    Any company can have any problem at any time.

A monster like T has the resources and momentum to survive in the face of market changes, government regulation, and operational stupidity.

Some don't make it, like Sears (who should have been Amazon) and some do, like GE that survives despite itself.

Only history will tell us if T is a long term survivor, but in the mean time who ya gonna call?
    Nov 7, 2015. 07:45 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 10 Low PE Stocks For The Defensive Investor - November 2015 [View article]
    Honestly, those may prove to be great, but for me the Ten Defensive, arguably, looks more like:

Ok, that's 11. Dump KMI.
    Nov 5, 2015. 03:10 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • As Long As I Get The Dividend... You Are So Wrong! [View article]
    I'm 99% with you. The 1% I'm probably too dumb to understand.

But let me ask this, if you knew for a certainty we are at a major, perhaps historic, market top, but you had no idea how dramatic or how long the bear would be, what would you do?

Knowing that a bear market often lasts 18 months, and that this one might go on indefinitely, much like the bull market that preceded it, how does a dividend investor defend against a really, really, serious bear market?
    Nov 4, 2015. 10:48 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Exxon Mobil - Use Any Weakness To Double Down [View article]
    With all the valuable discussion that goes on around dividend investing, dividend champions, dividend aristocrats, and so forth I maintain my unpopular place in the world by reminding people that we are only about 800 points away from testing the top of a monumental upside run.

In this environment I'd suggest people look at the question of whether the internal market is strong enough to break to new highs or will bounce downward.

I believe it is possibly time to shift to "dividend survivors," a category of the safest, largest, most powerful and most profitable companies that will come out the other end of any setback, be it a burp or a cataclysm, still alive and kicking.

My survivors include the likes of JNJ, O, T, ED, SO, and notably the big dog of energy, XOM.
    Oct 28, 2015. 06:52 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Warren Buffett's Big Oil Mistake And What His Response Tells Us [View article]
    Ya just never know where this stuff is headed!
    Oct 22, 2015. 04:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Kinder Morgan EPS of $0.08 [View news story]
    I expect some panic selling.

Believers can add more, shorts can rejoice.

Me? I'll hold here and DRIP.
    Oct 21, 2015. 06:49 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment