Stephen Pace

View Stephen Pace's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Southern Co. in agreement with Tesla to test battery storage, CEO says [View news story]
    @PCS: Tesla gets none of the $7500--the buyer gets that but only to reduce tax they are already paying. Tesla does get ZEV credits, but they are paid by other OEMs too lazy to make ZEVs in CA, not the government. Their choice--OEMs could easily just sell a compliance vehicle in CA to avoid having to pay any ZEV credits.
    May 27, 2015. 06:40 PM | 18 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 2 Incremental Positives For Tesla In California [View article]
    @Rogand: Which would I buy? The one with a global, long distance SuperCharger network that lets me drive as far as I want. If Porsche has that and offers a car with the same price performance as a Tesla Model S P85D, I agree they could take some share from Tesla. But there is no indication they plan to build or participate in a charging network as robust as Tesla's.
    May 15, 2015. 02:08 PM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bloomberg: Tesla battery grabbed $800M potential revenue in opening days [View news story]
    @Valueseeker: Actually, many reserved the Model S for $5k down ($40k for Sig) without knowing a lot about the vehicle, final details, pricing, or even available options. If Elon had asked for a refundable deposit ($100 or $1000), many would have given it.
    May 10, 2015. 02:05 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Tesla: Firing On All Cylinders Without Cylinders [View article]
    @GaltMachine: Many car dealers make more money selling trade ins than they do new cars. The CPO program is going to generate money for Tesla.
    May 1, 2015. 03:18 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Tesla: Firing On All Cylinders Without Cylinders [View article]
    @Million$Man: Uh, no. Car is not for sale and technology is not proven: "At this point the e-Sportlimousine is only a test vehicle for the nanoFLOWCELL technology with no plans to move it into full-scale production as of yet." "[I]t’s possible we can see this type of system utilized in the next few decades [...] check back [...] in 20 years."
    May 1, 2015. 03:14 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Tesla Needs To Increase Pricing In Asia And Pursue Fleet Sales [View article]
    @renim: Sure, but those other companies are orders of magnitude larger than Tesla. Tesla has limited engineering resources that are working feverishly buttoning up Model X and working on Gen 3. There are no resources to spare for creating a longer wheelbase vehicle--certainly not worth the bang for the engineering buck, IMHO. If this costs them some China sales, so be it.
    Apr 29, 2015. 02:20 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Coupons For Tesla [View article]
    @Commonnonsense Actually, if Tesla were to go broke (I don't think they will), the next owner of the IP might not take the same approach that Tesla has. Perhaps you can point to a document stating otherwise, but I don't think the patents are truly 'open source' like under the GPL. Tesla has said they won't sue under good faith use.
    Apr 29, 2015. 01:51 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Coupons For Tesla [View article]
    I both enjoyed this and learned something at the same time. Thanks!
    Apr 29, 2015. 10:55 AM | 17 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    This article doesn't break any new ground and frankly rehashes a lot of old, well known points. It also belies the fact that Tesla is working with landlords and installing charging stations in high rises (in many cases, not delivering the car until this is done). The very first Tesla China country manager told Elon that the back seats needed to be 'more luxurious', but a longer wheelbase model is a non-starter for a company the size of Tesla. You can forget about it. Tesla gets the margin it does by leveraging a single skateboard design also shared by Model X. There is one stamping for Model S and there will be one for Model X, full stop. Tesla made the decision, right or wrong, to move forward with the car they had. That doesn't mean no improvements. Tesla improved the seats and Recaro is pretty much as good as it gets. Tesla added front and rear console options:

Frankly, the article completely misses the worst issue with resolving the inventory issue in China. We live in a global world. A lot of people who buy Teslas want the most advanced car in the world. Scalpers kept the cars out of the hands of the initial wave of owners, and when they didn't take delivery, Tesla had to take them back. In the meantime, two significant advances happened: dual motor and autopilot hardware. Given the choice of an older car without this hardware or just waiting a quarter for the latest car, my guess is many wealthy Chinese (remember, there are a million millionaires in China) ordered new. The good news is this is a short term issue. We've already seen Tesla chipping away at this, with bulk company gifts and taxi sales:

Frankly, regarding the pricing discussion, the authors don't give the Chinese people much credit and Tesla is going for the long game. Any CEO who thinks a Tesla is a "toy" (and I doubt there are many) is going to get schooled when his Aston Martin (4X Tesla price) or Maserati (3X Tesla price) gets crushed by his buddy's P85D. In a country where many wealthier consumers buy milk in other countries because they don't trust the local supply, I could turn this discussion around and say that China isn't like Germany--all things being equal (price, performance, looks--and we aren't close in that yet) I don't think BYD gets an automatic sale over a Tesla.
    Apr 29, 2015. 10:19 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why The Battery Storage Initiative Is Worth No More Than $3.60/Share To Tesla's Stock Price [View article]
    @Anton Wahlman: I think the Model X reveal will still have a few surprises.
    Apr 28, 2015. 11:04 AM | 10 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • About That BMW i5 And Its Impact On Tesla [View article]
    @Anton: You talk to the Audi guys more often than me, but perhaps you can confirm what Audi really means by "swappable":

Thanks to the modular design of the new MMI system, Audi will not have to wait an entire product cycle to replace the Nvidia graphics chip used in the A3, Halliger said. Instead, that could happen halfway through the A3’s life cycle -- perhaps during its mid-cycle facelift, in two or three years.

I take that to mean it is easy for Audi to make the change production-wise, not that they will allow end users to do it. Knowing Audi pricing such a change would likely also be cost prohibitive to end consumers anyway. For the record, I've never liked Audi's rotating knob setup.

On the Tesla, the hardware for 3G is easily swappable for 4G, but since Tesla is paying for the connection for the first 4 years, most people haven't wanted to mess with it. Nvidia hardware is behind the touchscreen, though--not sure how easy it would be to change but my guess is 'not'. I will add it to my list to ask.
    Apr 27, 2015. 03:25 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • About That BMW i5 And Its Impact On Tesla [View article]
    @Anton Wahlman: Short answer on Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, I don't know, but "not soon enough." I have played around with Pioneer's aftermarket implementation and they have done a great job. Texting support is one area where Tesla is seriously behind. Overall, I've been disappointed with Tesla's delay in the SDK and the longer it goes, the more I worry that my NVIDIA Tegra circa 2012 is not going to be up to the task and potentially won't support all or any of the new functionality that is coming. As someone in the technology field, I completely understand that at some point, Tesla will have to reduce support for us 'old folks' but hopefully there will be a retrofit option for a price that isn't cost prohibitive (like the parking sensors). Model X could be the line in the sand. I will visit Tesla in July and will hopefully learn more then.
    Apr 27, 2015. 12:36 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • About That BMW i5 And Its Impact On Tesla [View article]
    @Anton Wahlman: Sounds like a lot of variants that are going to bring some headaches to dealers. Which to buy for them? BEVs? Probably not since they don't really believe in them. They'll likely buy 1 BEV 'just in case' with the rest PHEVs and push buyers to the PHEVs using all of their usual FUD. They'll use the fact they couldn't sell the one BEV as an argument for not ordering any more, despite it wasn't the color the person coming in wanted. Meanwhile Tesla lets people get whatever color and options they want and it will show up at their house (albeit a month later). If they ever catch up with demand, they could even stage some of the cars regionally to reduce wait time for the people who need a car immediately. The larger store template like the new Utah one (although being temporarily shuttered by the anti-free marketers) could hold inventory directly.

Unrelated, I swapped my Model S for a VW e-Golf last week for a day. Solid car, but the infotainment was stone age. Beyond terrible. My favorite was the map showed gas stations by default. Here is where not having on demand test drives in Texas can hurt Tesla. I'm sure the VW had decent acceleration, but being used to a Model S (non-performance), it actually seems like something could be wrong with it. BMW better bring it with the i5 because if they don't, if I was Tesla, I would put together a drive event with comparable vehicles and let the car do the talking. You know Elon isn't going to let the Model ≡ out the door without at least 0-60 in 5s (with performance variants getting sub 3s).
    Apr 27, 2015. 10:37 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • When It Comes To Tesla, Read Between The Lines [View article]
    @Logic Man: There are no drawings of the Model 3 out from Tesla. The only drawings are speculation from fans.
    Apr 24, 2015. 01:09 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • When It Comes To Tesla, Read Between The Lines [View article]
    @GaltMachine: It costs as much money to make an ugly car as it does a beautiful one--might as well go for the beautiful option. I expect people will like Model ≡, the sedan version of it anyway. Personally, I don't like the CUV look, so I still think Model S looks a lot better than Model X. Model ≡ CUV is still likely to look worse (to me), but the tech is likely to smoke whatever GM is shipping with the 'Bolt' either way.
    Apr 24, 2015. 12:01 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment