Stephen Simpson, CFA

View Stephen Simpson, CFA's Comments BY TICKER:
ABB, ABT, ACE, ACHN, ACI, ADI, ADM, AEIS, AEO, AES, AET, AEZS, AGCO, AGRO, AGXXF, AHL, ALIM, ALK, ALLAY, ALLRF, ALNY, ALU, AMED, AMRN, AMSG, AMX, ANFI, ANGO, ARAY, ARIA, ARNA, ARQL, ARWR, ASOMY, ATHN, ATK, ATLKF, ATLKY, ATML, ATRC, ATX, AUDC, AUXL, AVD, AVGO, AWH, AXAHF, AXAHY, AXAS, AXLL, AZN, AZPN, B, BA, BAC, BAK, BAM, BAS, BASFY, BBG, BBT, BDX, BIIAF, BIIB, BIP, BLERF, BLUE, BMTI, BMY, BPOP, BRCD, BRCM, BRFS, BRK.B, BRSS, BSFT, BSMX, BSX, BTE, BTU, BUI, C, CAT, CBI, CBST, CBWBF, CCLAY, CE, CELG, CEO, CFX, CHEUY, CIEN, CIG, CJES, CLD, CLDX, CMI, CNAT, CODI, COG, CPHD, CPN, CPPMF, CPST, CR, CRESY, CRHKY, CRWS, CSCO, CSFL, CSII, CVGI, CVV, CVX, CYCC, CYNI, CYTR, CZZ, DAN, DBSDY, DCIN, DE, DGI, DIS, DNDN, DNR, DNSKY, DOV, DVN, DVR, EAC, EGBN, ELGX, ELN, ELP, EMR, ENDP, ENOC, ET, ETE, ETN, ETP, ETRM, EW, EXAS, EXC, EXEL, EZPW, FAST, FCE.A, FCE.B, FCFS, FCX, FEIC, FF, FHN, FIO, FIRE, FLOW, FMX, FNV, FOLD, FONR, FRX, FSM, FST, FSUGY, GALE, GBX, GCTAY, GDOT, GE, GELYY, GILD, GLEKY, GLNCY, GLT, GLW, GMAN, GMED, GNKOQ, GNRC, GRH, GSK, GTLS, GTOMY, HAL, HBIO, HBM, HELE, HLF, HLUYY, HNZ, HOGS, HOLI, HOLX, HRL, HSBC, HSP, HTWR, HURC, HW, HXM, ICUI, IIVI, ILMN, IMGN, ING, INGIY, IOSP, IPGLF, IPGP, IR, ISRG, ITRI, ITW, JCI, JCP, JNJ, JOE, JOY, JPM, JRCCQ, KDN, KEX, KGC, KMTUY, KPELY, KRFT, KUKAY, LABL, LAYN, LECO, LHCG, LIOX, LLY, LMIA, LMNR, LMNX, LND, LNVGY, LPDX, LPX, LSI, LSTMF, LUKOY, LXRX, LYSDY, LZAGY, MAKO, MAOIF, MCD, MCHP, MDLZ, MDT, MET, MIC, MIDD, MJNA, MLNX, MLR, MMP, MNK, MNTX, MOCO, MON, MRK, MRLN, MSCC, MSFT, MSM, MTGRF, MTL, MTNOY, MTSC, MTSN, MTW, MWA, MXWL, NAV, NBIX, NBL, NCR, NGVC, NKTR, NRP, NTP, NUAN, NUE, NUVA, NVDQ, NVO, NVS, NYRSY, OAS, ODFL, OGZPY, OKS, OMER, OMI, OMPI, ONNN, ORAN, ORB, OSUR, OZRK, PACB, PANW, PAY, PB, PBF, PBR, PCL, PCXCQ, PDCE, PF, PFE, PG, PHG, PKD, PLPL, PNC, POWR, PRAA, PRIM, PVD, PXGYF, QBCRF, QSFT, RAVN, RCPT, RFMD, RGLD, RHHBY, RHT, RIGL, RVBD, RXN, S, SAN, SANW, SASR, SBMRY, SCGLY, SEIGF, SGEN, SHG, SHS, SIEGY, SLG, SLNCF, SLTM, SLXP, SNCR, SNMX, SNY, SPLK, SPN, SPW, SSH, SSI, STB, STJ, SUMR, SYK, TC, TCB, TCK, TDW, TEAR, TECH, TEVA, TIS, TITN, TKC, TKMR, TMOAY, TPLM, TQNT, TSM, TTM, TUWOY, TWGP, TWI, TYPE, UNT, UPI, UPL, URG, USB, UTEK, V, VDNRF, VICL, VIVHY, VMEM, VOCS, VOLC, VVUS, WAB, WFT, WIRE, WLFC, WLL, WMB, WMGI, WRB, WSBHF, XLP, XNPT, XPO, XRAY, YARIY, YZC, ZION, ZIOP
  • ACE Limited Earns Its Premium, But Excess Capital Weighs On Returns [View article]
    Thanks EM. It'll be interesting to see what happens if/when there's a really bad cat year.
    Apr 25, 2015. 02:13 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • MOCON Has Some Headwinds For 2015, But A Good Underlying Business [View article]
    Thanks guys.
    One thing I'd add that I learned literally last night - their equipment is really well-regarded, but pretty expensive. Doesn't change my thesis or conclusions, but just a little piece of info to put out there...
    Apr 18, 2015. 12:17 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 2015 May Be Tough, But BorgWarner Is Tougher [View article]
    I think US build rates can hold fairly steady around this level, with BWA leveraging higher per-unit content to drive most of the revenue growth (so, price/mix vs. vol). But you're right about the cyclical part - "it's different this time" is a good way to lose money.
    Apr 15, 2015. 09:52 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Allison Transmission Hits Pause [View article]
    They're working on some interesting tech themselves that could have applications in that sector (tech they licensed from Fallbrook, I believe). But I agree that that is a meaningful concern. I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to make an acquisition to expand their capabilities there.
    Apr 15, 2015. 12:37 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • MSC Industrial Suffering From Weakening Markets And Execution Issues [View article]
    Thanks James. I appreciate the kind words.
    Apr 10, 2015. 12:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • HollySys Needs To Ease Concerns Over Slowing Automation And Rail Orders [View article]
    Nothing I've seen
    Apr 8, 2015. 10:34 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ship Finance Needs To Skillfully Redeploy Capital [View article]
    Good points, though the accounting is so convoluted I think the "real" free cash flow is tough to determine.
    Apr 7, 2015. 04:22 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Lincoln Electric Facing A Tougher Year [View article]
    Private equity/Buffett much more likely. I can't see anti-trust allowing Colfax or ITW. Can't see Danaher, Emerson, or Honeywell wanting to.
    Apr 4, 2015. 01:46 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ahead Of Major Launches, GenMark Diagnostics Still Has Some Value [View article]
    I don't really see ABT/Roche/Siemens as being too interested in large-scale StR. Qiagen might be. BioRad might also be (they're a tough company to predict from the outside).

You're right that it's a crowded market ... but if GNMK can deliver on what they claim is superior throughput (tests/hr), they'll rise to the top.

Just my additional two cents...
    Apr 3, 2015. 07:47 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • These Are Tougher Times For Brazil, But BRF Still Offers A Bright Future [View article]
    I believe it's the largest food company in Indonesia. Mostly packaged food, dairy, and vegetables.
    Mar 20, 2015. 07:38 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Old Dominion's Performance Argues For Paying Up For Quality [View article]
    Bill Gunderson ... who is that? The name rings a bell, but I can't place it.
    Mar 19, 2015. 10:08 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Mt Gibson Is Hit Hard By The Koolan Island Closure And The Iron Ore Price - But Trading Below Its Net Cash Position [View article]
    Good analysis and summary. Are there any lingering costs (clean up, remediation, etc.) tied to the Koolan Island closure that could balloon down the line and consume cash? I'm just trying to speculate on some reasons why the shares would be below net cash...
    Feb 23, 2015. 07:54 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Alaska Air Thriving In More Crowded Skies [View article]
    They remind me a little bit of Midwest Express from back in the day (though ALK is much better run). I miss that airline...
    Feb 10, 2015. 09:25 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • ABB Facing Power Outages In Multiple End Markets [View article]
    Thanks. I appreciate it.
    Feb 10, 2015. 09:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Growth Still The Heart Of Middleby's Story [View article]
    I can understand being skeptical of roll-ups when the company is buying service operations or the like. In this case, I basically view it as the company buying proven R&D and IP. The notion of buying what amounts to capitalized R&D still may not sit well with you, and that's fine, but it's not as if they're getting nothing for their money.

M&A has brought them spin-fry technology, ventless equipment, combo ovens, just to name a few. I'm okay with that, as the time (and money) it would take to have built that on their own would be considerable.
    Feb 10, 2015. 07:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment