Stephen Simpson, CFA

View Stephen Simpson, CFA's Comments BY TICKER:
ABB, ABT, ACE, ACHN, ACI, ADI, ADM, AEIS, AEO, AES, AET, AEZS, AGCO, AGRO, AGXXF, AHL, ALIM, ALK, ALLAY, ALLRF, ALNY, ALU, AMED, AMRN, AMSG, AMX, ANFI, ANGO, ARAY, ARIA, ARNA, ARQL, ARWR, ASOMY, ATHN, ATK, ATLKF, ATLKY, ATML, ATRC, ATX, AUDC, AUXL, AVD, AVGO, AWH, AXAHF, AXAHY, AXAS, AXLL, AZN, AZPN, B, BA, BAC, BAK, BAM, BAS, BASFY, BBG, BBT, BDX, BIIAF, BIIB, BIP, BLERF, BLUE, BMTI, BMY, BPOP, BRCD, BRCM, BRFS, BRK.B, BRSS, BSFT, BSMX, BSX, BTE, BTU, BUI, C, CAT, CBI, CBST, CBWBF, CCLAY, CE, CELG, CEO, CFX, CHEUY, CIEN, CIG, CJES, CLD, CLDX, CMI, CNAT, CODI, COG, CPHD, CPN, CPPMF, CPST, CR, CRESY, CRHKY, CRWS, CSCO, CSFL, CSII, CVGI, CVV, CVX, CYCC, CYNI, CYTR, CZZ, DAN, DBSDY, DCIN, DE, DGI, DIS, DNDN, DNR, DNSKY, DOV, DVN, DVR, EAC, EGBN, ELGX, ELN, ELP, EMR, ENDP, ENOC, ET, ETE, ETN, ETP, ETRM, EW, EXAS, EXC, EXEL, EZPW, FAST, FCE.A, FCE.B, FCFS, FCX, FEIC, FF, FHN, FIO, FIRE, FLOW, FMX, FNV, FOLD, FONR, FRX, FSM, FST, FSUGY, GALE, GBX, GCTAY, GDOT, GE, GELYY, GILD, GLEKY, GLNCY, GLT, GLW, GMAN, GMED, GNKOQ, GNRC, GRH, GSK, GTLS, GTOMY, HAL, HBIO, HBM, HELE, HLF, HLUYY, HNZ, HOGS, HOLI, HOLX, HRL, HSBC, HSP, HTWR, HURC, HW, HXM, ICUI, IIVI, ILMN, IMGN, ING, INGIY, IOSP, IPGLF, IPGP, IR, ISRG, ITRI, ITW, JCI, JCP, JNJ, JOE, JOY, JPM, JRCCQ, KDN, KEX, KGC, KMTUY, KPELY, KRFT, KUKAY, LABL, LAYN, LECO, LHCG, LIOX, LLY, LMIA, LMNR, LMNX, LND, LNVGY, LPDX, LPX, LSI, LSTMF, LUKOY, LXRX, LYSDY, LZAGY, MAKO, MAOIF, MCD, MCHP, MDLZ, MDT, MET, MIC, MIDD, MJNA, MLNX, MLR, MMP, MNK, MNTX, MOCO, MON, MRK, MRLN, MSCC, MSFT, MSM, MTGRF, MTL, MTNOY, MTSC, MTSN, MTW, MWA, MXWL, NAV, NBIX, NBL, NCR, NGVC, NKTR, NRP, NTP, NUAN, NUE, NUVA, NVDQ, NVO, NVS, NYRSY, OAS, ODFL, OGZPY, OKS, OMER, OMI, OMPI, ONNN, ORAN, ORB, OSUR, OZRK, PACB, PANW, PAY, PB, PBF, PBR, PCL, PCXCQ, PDCE, PF, PFE, PG, PHG, PKD, PLPL, PNC, POWR, PRAA, PRIM, PVD, PXGYF, QBCRF, QSFT, RAVN, RCPT, RFMD, RGLD, RHHBY, RHT, RIGL, RVBD, RXN, S, SAN, SANW, SASR, SBMRY, SCGLY, SEIGF, SGEN, SHG, SHS, SIEGY, SLG, SLNCF, SLTM, SLXP, SNCR, SNMX, SNY, SPLK, SPN, SPW, SSH, SSI, STB, STJ, SUMR, SYK, TC, TCB, TCK, TDW, TEAR, TECH, TEVA, TIS, TITN, TKC, TKMR, TMOAY, TPLM, TQNT, TSM, TTM, TUWOY, TWGP, TWI, TYPE, UNT, UPI, UPL, URG, USB, UTEK, V, VDNRF, VICL, VIVHY, VMEM, VOCS, VOLC, VVUS, WAB, WFT, WIRE, WLFC, WLL, WMB, WMGI, WRB, WSBHF, XLP, XNPT, XPO, XRAY, YARIY, YZC, ZION, ZIOP
  • These Are Tougher Times For Brazil, But BRF Still Offers A Bright Future [View article]
    I believe it's the largest food company in Indonesia. Mostly packaged food, dairy, and vegetables.
    Mar 20, 2015. 07:38 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Old Dominion's Performance Argues For Paying Up For Quality [View article]
    Bill Gunderson ... who is that? The name rings a bell, but I can't place it.
    Mar 19, 2015. 10:08 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Mt Gibson Is Hit Hard By The Koolan Island Closure And The Iron Ore Price - But Trading Below Its Net Cash Position [View article]
    Good analysis and summary. Are there any lingering costs (clean up, remediation, etc.) tied to the Koolan Island closure that could balloon down the line and consume cash? I'm just trying to speculate on some reasons why the shares would be below net cash...
    Feb 23, 2015. 07:54 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Alaska Air Thriving In More Crowded Skies [View article]
    They remind me a little bit of Midwest Express from back in the day (though ALK is much better run). I miss that airline...
    Feb 10, 2015. 09:25 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • ABB Facing Power Outages In Multiple End Markets [View article]
    Thanks. I appreciate it.
    Feb 10, 2015. 09:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Growth Still The Heart Of Middleby's Story [View article]
    I can understand being skeptical of roll-ups when the company is buying service operations or the like. In this case, I basically view it as the company buying proven R&D and IP. The notion of buying what amounts to capitalized R&D still may not sit well with you, and that's fine, but it's not as if they're getting nothing for their money.

M&A has brought them spin-fry technology, ventless equipment, combo ovens, just to name a few. I'm okay with that, as the time (and money) it would take to have built that on their own would be considerable.
    Feb 10, 2015. 07:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Growth Still The Heart Of Middleby's Story [View article]
    I don't think it's hyperbole to say that MIDD is extremely focused on overall operating costs - labor-saving, utility-saving, time-saving, and whatever you'd call waste removal services.
    Feb 9, 2015. 06:13 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Growth Still The Heart Of Middleby's Story [View article]
    For the national chains, I think you're absolutely right. For the mom-and-pops, price competition with lesser companies is a more relevant competitive issue.
    Feb 9, 2015. 04:36 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Lenovo's Strong Operating Results Likely Won't Quiet The Doubters Yet [View article]
    Agree on the listing, though I don't think we'll ever see that. My only "rebuttal" (and I don't really like to characterize it as such, because I know you know this...) on the volatility point is that by the time it's clear that results have stabilized, I suspect the multiple will already have moved up.

Nothing wrong with paying more for stability, though, as we all have our own viewpoints on how to price risk/volatility.
    Feb 6, 2015. 07:09 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Steel Dynamics May Have Underappreciated Growth Qualities [View article]
    As am I ... but it feels as if for the last two or three years steel stocks look good early in the year (and do okay), only to fall off as the year goes on.
    Feb 4, 2015. 03:43 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Worries About Europe And Energy Seem To Weigh On Parker-Hannifin [View article]
    I intend to write about Eaton after their earnings this week.
    Feb 1, 2015. 09:43 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Honeywell Appears To Have A Lot To Offer [View article]
    I suspect that they'll focus on deals that complement what they already have - like buying the Datamax O'Neil business from Dover a little while ago. So I could see them buying small specialty chemicals/materials businesses, process automation/control businesses and so on. On the riskier side, perhaps they'll look into automation instrumentation, but I don't expect that.
    Feb 1, 2015. 09:43 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Stryker Offers Good Core Growth, But Not As Much Value [View article]
    Yeah, I agree with you. But it seems like a lot of readers want stocks that are going to double in 15 days, so it's tougher call/recommendation to make.
    Jan 30, 2015. 03:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Patience With EMC Has Yet To Pay Off [View article]
    You're correct. Thanks. I'll make sure that correction gets made in the text.
    Jan 30, 2015. 01:27 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Patience With EMC Has Yet To Pay Off [View article]
    Sotoman - the change in mgmt I referred to was in regards to Tucci's retirement. He has been saying he'd retire in Feb, though it seems like that may be extended again.
    Jan 30, 2015. 12:10 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment