Stephen Simpson, CFA

View Stephen Simpson, CFA's Comments BY TICKER:
ABB, ABT, ACE, ACHN, ACI, ADI, ADM, AEIS, AEO, AES, AET, AEZS, AGCO, AGRO, AGXXF, AHL, ALIM, ALK, ALLAY, ALLRF, ALNY, ALU, AMED, AMRN, AMSG, AMX, ANFI, ANGO, ARAY, ARIA, ARNA, ARQL, ARWR, ASOMY, ATHN, ATK, ATLKF, ATLKY, ATML, ATRC, ATX, AUDC, AUXL, AVD, AVGO, AWH, AXAHF, AXAHY, AXAS, AXLL, AZN, AZPN, B, BA, BAC, BAK, BAM, BAS, BASFY, BBG, BBT, BDX, BIIAF, BIIB, BIP, BLERF, BLUE, BMTI, BMY, BPOP, BRCD, BRFS, BRK.B, BRSS, BSFT, BSMX, BSX, BTE, BTU, BUI, C, CAT, CBI, CBST, CBWBF, CCLAY, CE, CELG, CEO, CFX, CHEUY, CIEN, CIG, CJES, CLD, CLDX, CMI, CNAT, CODI, COG, CPHD, CPN, CPPMF, CPST, CR, CRESY, CRHKY, CRWS, CSCO, CSFL, CSII, CVGI, CVV, CVX, CYCC, CYNI, CYTR, CZZ, DAN, DBSDY, DCIN, DE, DGI, DIS, DNDN, DNR, DNSKY, DOV, DVN, DVR, EAC, EGBN, ELGX, ELN, ELP, EMR, ENDP, ENOC, ET, ETE, ETN, ETP, ETRM, EW, EXAS, EXC, EXEL, EZPW, FAST, FCE.A, FCE.B, FCFS, FCX, FEIC, FF, FHN, FIO, FIRE, FLOW, FMX, FNV, FOLD, FONR, FRX, FSM, FST, FSUGY, GALE, GBX, GCTAY, GDOT, GE, GELYY, GILD, GLEKY, GLNCY, GLT, GLW, GMAN, GMED, GNKOQ, GNRC, GRH, GSK, GTLS, GTOMY, HAL, HBIO, HBM, HELE, HLF, HLUYY, HNZ, HOGS, HOLI, HOLX, HRL, HSBC, HSP, HTWR, HURC, HW, HXM, ICUI, IIVI, ILMN, IMGN, ING, INGIY, IOSP, IPGLF, IPGP, IR, ISRG, ITRI, ITW, JCI, JCP, JNJ, JOE, JOY, JPM, JRCCQ, KDN, KEX, KGC, KMTUY, KPELY, KRFT, KUKAY, LABL, LAYN, LECO, LHCG, LIOX, LLY, LMIA, LMNR, LMNX, LND, LNVGY, LPDX, LPX, LSI, LSTMF, LUKOY, LXRX, LYSDY, LZAGY, MAKO, MAOIF, MCD, MCHP, MDLZ, MDT, MET, MIC, MIDD, MJNA, MLNX, MLR, MMP, MNTX, MOCO, MON, MRK, MRLN, MSCC, MSFT, MSM, MTGRF, MTL, MTNOY, MTSC, MTSN, MTW, MWA, MXWL, NAV, NBIX, NBL, NCR, NGVC, NKTR, NRP, NTP, NUAN, NUE, NUVA, NVDQ, NVO, NVS, NYRSY, OAS, ODFL, OGZPY, OKS, OMER, OMI, OMPI, ONNN, ORAN, ORB, OSUR, OZRK, PACB, PANW, PAY, PB, PBF, PBR, PCL, PCXCQ, PDCE, PF, PFE, PG, PKD, PLPL, PNC, POWR, PRAA, PRIM, PVD, PXGYF, QBCRF, QCOR, QSFT, RAVN, RCPT, RFMD, RGLD, RHHBY, RHT, RIGL, RVBD, RXN, S, SAN, SANW, SASR, SBMRY, SCGLY, SEIGF, SGEN, SHG, SHS, SIEGY, SLG, SLNCF, SLTM, SLXP, SNCR, SNMX, SNY, SPLK, SPN, SPW, SSH, SSI, STB, STJ, SUMR, SYK, TC, TCB, TCK, TDW, TEAR, TECH, TEVA, TIS, TITN, TKC, TKMR, TMOAY, TPLM, TQNT, TSM, TTM, TUWOY, TWGP, TWI, TYPE, UNT, UPI, UPL, URG, USB, UTEK, V, VDNRF, VICL, VIVHY, VMEM, VOCS, VOLC, VVUS, WAB, WFT, WIRE, WLFC, WLL, WMB, WMGI, WRB, WSBHF, XLP, XNPT, XPO, XRAY, YARIY, YZC, ZION, ZIOP
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Why I (Finally) Gave Up on Johnson & Johnson [View article]
    Where did I say dividend investing is no consolation? I said JNJ no longer met my needs/expectations/goals. I have no problem with dividend investing, nor JNJ as a source of dividends.
    Mar 7 04:24 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I (Finally) Gave Up on Johnson & Johnson [View article]
    Bandol -
    When I sold JNJ, I wrestled w/ ABT v. SYK v. Roche.
    For better or worse, I decided that Roche was the cheaper one, though I realize the risk of trading one "problem child" for another.

SYK just got away from me, but that's probably the first healthcare stock I want to own if/when it sells off again. ABT, too, though is a fine fine company.
    Mar 4 06:49 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Portfolio Recovery Associates: The Numbers Simply Don't Add Up [View article]
    And no mention of the impending acquisition of Aktiv...
    Jun 24 07:09 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Old Dominion Continues To Take Share [View article]
    I have done my research. Judging by your past comments, you seem to relish being rude, arrogant, and dismissive ... yet, you contribute absolutely nothing to the site.

As a result, no further attention will be paid to any of your posts and you will get no further responses. I suggest you go to Yahoo! Finance's message boards where your lack of manners will be a better fit.
    Apr 29 09:45 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Behind The Scenes With Dream Team, CytRx And Galena [View article]
    Very well done. I too have received repeated solicitations from IR firms to do this sort of thing, and I have on occasion entertained the thought of "playing along" so as to collect the info to write something like this. You actually did it, though, and for that I applaud you.
    Mar 13 11:22 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Peabody Energy Still In Limbo; How Low Can It Go? [View article]
    The electrical generation is only part of the equation. There's transport cost, SO2/NOX emissions costs, premiums/discounts to Henry Hub, and so forth. So simply dividing by 14.5 as you suggest will generate a completely inaccurate and basically worthless number.
    Jul 24 02:26 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Can Teva Win With The Big Pharma Playbook? [View article]
    Okay, smart guy. Write your own articles and let's all see how you do. Easy to heckle from the cheap seats - let's see what you do on the stage.
    May 9 03:54 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I (Finally) Gave Up on Johnson & Johnson [View article]
    Chowder,

I like that philosophy and use it myself. I mean, obviously I was/am bothered by the recalls and that was part of my sell thesis, but I completely share the idea of separating personal habits from what a given company does.
    Mar 12 08:41 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I (Finally) Gave Up on Johnson & Johnson [View article]
    Enjoy! I just polished off a Kasteel Rouge myself...
    Mar 7 07:10 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I (Finally) Gave Up on Johnson & Johnson [View article]
    @notbob,

Sadly, I would believe it. I've been writing on the markets for a long time now and I've heard every lunatic conspiracy theory and been called just about everything in the book.

So, that the malice is out there doesn't surprise me ... but directing it at dividend/income investors? I don't get it.

But, by the same token, I have a lot of more interesting things to do in life than figure out the motives and inner workings of the unpleasant and mean-spirited. I guess every anonymous or semi-anonymous venue will have its brats.
    Mar 7 02:12 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I (Finally) Gave Up on Johnson & Johnson [View article]
    By that thinking, every day is the time to buy every stock, as every day has people "giving up" and selling positions.
    Mar 7 11:48 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I (Finally) Gave Up on Johnson & Johnson [View article]
    Completely agree.

If you cannot give a decently clear little summary of why you own something, you shouldn't own it.
    Mar 6 05:58 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I (Finally) Gave Up on Johnson & Johnson [View article]
    @ HE -

Thanks for the idea!
    If I've ever written on that topic, it's been a long, long time (long enough that I can't remember if it's "yes" or "no" at least...).

And as someone who has round-tripped more than a few stocks, I totally agree - sell discipline is really crucial to success.
    Mar 5 12:10 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I (Finally) Gave Up on Johnson & Johnson [View article]
    Thanks Neal!
    Mar 4 12:19 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • James River Coal Fighting A Losing Battle With Time [View article]
    You are mistaken, as you appear to be excluding multiple significant pieces of data. You can't simply compare the energy contents as you appear to be doing. You make no mention of gas price differentials for utilities, NOX and SOX costs, and transportation.

When those are included, the breakeven price for CAPP is around $4.50/mmBTU (or higher in some cases).

If you wish to argue otherwise, show me a breakdown that includes coal transportation costs, utility gas price differentials, plant efficiencies (CCGT v. coal-fired) and emissions costs.
    Jan 13 06:36 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment