Stephen Weiss

View Stephen Weiss' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Why Coeur Mining's Stock Will Soon Shine Like Silver [View article]
    Thanks for the comment ducat. I was not ignoring La Preciosa, just did not include it in this article as it did not fit with the theme.

I agree that it is a world class deposit. I also agree that Coeur does a fantastic job at getting along with host nations and local communities. I disagree with you big-time, however, on your assertion that "since they have secured La Preciosa, they have liberty to invest in less safe locations."

Securing La Preciosa was a large transaction for Coeur, and one that the jury will still be out on for a few years. It has received both praise and criticism and I think it is too early to tell which it deserves yet. This move limits their liberty in choosing new investments, though, and I think any moves at all in risky locales would be a big mistake.

It will take time to digest this transaction and I think in the meantime the transactions that will make sense for them are ones that are smaller in absolute terms and more easily digestible in terms of increased near term production near existing assets. I think that is what the market is looking for, rather than another Orko type transaction at this point.
    Jun 14, 2013. 02:50 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Coeur Mining's Stock Will Soon Shine Like Silver [View article]
    Completely agree with you intrepid. Thanks for the mention.
    Jun 14, 2013. 10:04 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Coeur Mining's Stock Will Soon Shine Like Silver [View article]
    I neglected to mention the Orko transaction because, while it is a world class deposit, it is still years away from production. I did not think it fit with the theme of the article or what seems to be management's re-iterated theme since that acquisition: focusing on reducing geo-political risk but also reducing risk in general by focusing on expansion of existing assets (both internal and external) and increasing near-term production of these assets.
    Jun 14, 2013. 09:52 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Pershing Gold Continues To Shine, Especially Compared To Peers [View article]
    John I can share in your frustration at not feeling completely informed. I am confident, though, based on Alfers' formerly very communicative manner with shareholders, that his current lack of communication must be for a reason. No news is sometimes good news as someone mentioned above, especially in this resource market, and I'm hopeful of something big brewing at Pershing hence the relative silence on the corporate communication front.
    Jun 11, 2013. 10:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Pershing Gold Continues To Shine, Especially Compared To Peers [View article]
    I spoke with MindyJo recently as well and got quite a different impression. I also just talked with the company's law firm and they are issuing all opinions for free in an effort to help shareholders. So it just comes down to what your brokerage is charging you. That is out of the company's hands and I don't think you can fault them at all for not being able to control what different brokerages charge for this process. You should try negotiating on this with your brokerage.

Please feel free to message me if you have any specific questions regarding this, I have been through it before so somewhat familiar with the process.

Taking a look at the PEA now, thanks for letting us know it was recently put up on their site.
    Apr 23, 2013. 09:16 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • When The Market Turns Bearish, It Is Time For Investors To Get Bullish [View article]
    Interesting read. I own 2 out of the 3 companies you discussed (ANV and PGLC). I agree with you that now is the time to load up on gold stocks in general, they're just too cheap right now. Gold itself still has some downside risk I believe, although I am very bullish on it long term. I don't think that several of these low-cost producers and near-term producers even have that downside risk at these levels. Everything is so out of whack right now.

I read somewhere an author posing the question, "In 10 years or 50 years what would you rather own, a pile of hundred dollar bills or the equivalent in gold?" I know my answer.
    Apr 17, 2013. 09:07 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Pershing Gold Continues To Shine, Especially Compared To Peers [View article]
    John, I think you'll be much more satisfied with the full service broker (Fidilety/Schwab etc) in every aspect afterwards as well. Hopefully it won't end up costing you $350 either, it sounds like the company is trying to get this all taken care of with the brokers to prevent every shareholder from having to pay a fee like that.

Please keep us posted on the process, because for me (at Schwab) it could not have been any easier and I was shocked when I saw people were having any difficulties whatsoever on here.
    Apr 14, 2013. 09:19 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Pershing Gold Continues To Shine, Especially Compared To Peers [View article]
    Just as an fyi I had no issue selling my PGLC shares that I received through the share exchange with CRGC in my Schwab account. The shares had the restrictive legend on them as well that several comments have mentioned having an issue with.

I had spoken with a restricted stock specialist at Schwab prior to selling them and it seems that the issue is just with some of the discount online brokerages. The PGLC shares received pursuant to the share exchange with CRGC are NOT restricted from resale. The shares were filed in an S-1 that became effective on 2/12/13 and are able to be sold pursuant to this Prospectus filed on 2/14/13:

It is a Resale Prospectus, so in order to have the restrictive legend removed the shareholder needs to sell the shares first, and then obtain a legal opinion on the shares. Full service brokers (such as Schwab, where I am able to sell mine) are aware of this process and shareholders are not having any issues there. It is at some of the discount online brokers, where they see the restricted legend and do not match the shares with the prospectus that lists the shareholder's name. If your discount broker will not sell the shares, then I would suggest requesting the shares to be put into physical certificate form, and then depositing them with a full service broker.
    Apr 12, 2013. 09:34 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 More Gold Miners (And 1 Silver Miner) Yielding More Than The 10-Year U.S. Treasury Bond [View article]
    Any opinion on which one you like the best of these 4?
    Mar 20, 2013. 04:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 Reasons To Consider Buying Anglo Gold [View article]
    From my point of view all of the miners, AU included, are ridiculous cheap and due for a rebound. I would even prefer to own a handful of miners over the physical gold, which I am also extremely bullish on.
    Mar 20, 2013. 04:37 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 Med Device Stocks Looking Very Attractive [View article]
    Nice article Brian. Can't believe I missed the boat on DCTH either! Was looking at it and didn't pull the trigger. I think PLCSF could make a similar type of move that DCTH made and am positioning accordingly.

I'll be looking into SSH as well don't know much about it at this point.
    Mar 12, 2013. 09:34 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Following The Smart Money In The Intellectual Property Battle [View article]
    Great article Amy. Sounds like some exciting stuff on the horizon for several of these companies detailed. The IP space continues to intrigue.
    Feb 28, 2013. 12:00 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • MusclePharm: A Retail Long's Reflection On The Past And Pondering Of The Future [View article]
    PeteNJ: Yahoo Finance is showing the biggest holders' positions pre-reverse, so divide those share counts by 850.

I think its pretty clear management made some mistakes in the past, and I also think management would admit that as they were trying to focus on marketing and sales/revenue growth and didn't seem to have as much experience in the capital markets.

It appears to me that they are learning from their mistakes, however, and have done a good job in cleaning up their balance sheet and cap structure. This along with getting a group of experienced, value-added investors (ie Frost) involved to help guide that part of the business and let Musclepharm focus on what it is superb at: top-line growth.

I think the market is valuing the company so cheaply because of some past mistakes, hence why now with the involvement of Frost and co. I think is such a great opportunity to get in because I don't think we'll see any of those mistakes anymore. I think we'll see Musclepharm start to trade more in line with comps at or above 1x revenues, which would be a 3-4bagger from here. Let alone if any M&A talks are going on..
    Feb 12, 2013. 06:13 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • GE: A Fundamentally Sound Time To Add It To Your Portfolio [View article]
    Interesting analysis, if you're in it for the long long haul I like GE too. But think there's higher upside available with similar risk profiles out there.
    Feb 7, 2013. 06:56 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Will Soar In Price This Week - Part 2 [View article]
    Strongly disagree with the article, for many of the reasons Bill posted above.
    Feb 7, 2013. 06:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment