Steve Auger

View Steve Auger's Comments BY TICKER:
  • BlackBerry: Strategic Alternatives Signal Failure [View article]
    Something I have yet to see mentioned anywhere is that the multitasking OS may be a "must have" for any homeland security, border patrol, or policing operations. For such operations, there are several databases that have to be scanned for ID and background checks. You can either do these in parallel with a multitasking OS or use an Apple App and do the scanning operations in a serial fashion. The decision should be obvious.
    Aug 22, 2013. 09:56 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Facebook Stock Index: "Likes" Are A Wise Investment [View article]
    Sorry SMJ - my comment should have been directed at the others commenting on Canadians.
    Mar 26, 2013. 05:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Facebook Stock Index: "Likes" Are A Wise Investment [View article]
    Hey Stock Market Joe - some of us Eskimoes know what Apple makes (iTunes, iTV, etc.). In fact I'm thinking of getting a Solar powered electrical outlet for my igloo once the iTV comes out.
    Mar 22, 2013. 03:14 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Facebook Stock Index: "Likes" Are A Wise Investment [View article]
    "How many of you know what Farmville (ZNGA) is? Everyone."

Stock Market Joe - interesting idea but did you invest in Zynga last year? Is that why you have to write for a living?
    Mar 19, 2013. 11:43 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Facebook Stock Index: "Likes" Are A Wise Investment [View article]
    How would my fine American friends know anything about Canada? They learn everything from their iTVs.

(Message from the "Great White North".)
    Mar 19, 2013. 11:39 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Fracking, Climate Change And What Gets Lost In The Shuffle [View article]
    http://bit.ly/uMARLD Environmental impact
    Exposure of workers to silica dust
    Seismicity
    Radioactivity
    Methane
    Flowback
    Injected fluid
    Water consumption
    Air

AMEN
    Dec 4, 2012. 12:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Fracking, Climate Change And What Gets Lost In The Shuffle [View article]
    Craig - I bet you understood it. Take off your colored glasses.

Now just to prove you can't read - tell me where I called you names? The answer is nowhere. However, you called me moronic.

So take your pills'
    Dec 4, 2012. 11:36 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Fracking, Climate Change And What Gets Lost In The Shuffle [View article]
    It appears the two of you can't read. "pre-drilling water quality monitoring..." states that there will be a better risk assessment for water contamination. It doesn't mean that there will be no risk and it doesn't mean that water contamination is a sham/scam. You guys have been drinking too much water at work.
    Dec 3, 2012. 07:34 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Fracking, Climate Change And What Gets Lost In The Shuffle [View article]
    Lots of double speak:

"As shale gas exploration is becoming global -- including in Poland, China, Australia and New Zealand -- the take-home message of this study is that pre-drilling water quality monitoring is important for evaluating water-quality baselines that can be used to detect future changes in water quality, and for evaluating possible hydraulic 'short cuts' and pathways between fluids and gases in deep shale gas formations and shallow aquifers," said Vengosh. "Such geochemical reconnaissance would provide a better risk assessment for water contamination in newly developed shale gas exploration areas."
    Dec 3, 2012. 11:36 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Fracking, Climate Change And What Gets Lost In The Shuffle [View article]
    Mark's first reference (from Wikipedia):
    "A runaway greenhouse effect may have been caused by the evaporation of the surface water and subsequent rise of the levels of other greenhouse gases."

It is apparent that Venus was once ruled by Republicans :)
    Dec 2, 2012. 11:06 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Fracking, Climate Change And What Gets Lost In The Shuffle [View article]
    Robert - I am all for advances in technology and appliance energy efficiency but I have to tell you I feel betrayed with the latest advances. I bought five new "green" appliances 2 years ago. I have the refrigerator repaired once, the clothes dryer repaired twice and the dish washer repaired five times. I need to call the service repair for both the clothes dryer and dish washer again as there are more problems. I was warned about having to have the filter for the dishwasher cleaned regularly (taking the inside of the DW apart). The reason is that the filter is finer and the strength of the water flow is half. So now I not only have to rinse off the dishes completely before putting them into the DW thus using more water instead of less, the constant repairs use more energy in having the repairman driving out to my house. The most annoying part is that everytime there is a service call, someone from Sears "follows up" on the phone, to check up on how the repair went BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY to try to sell me an extended warranty.

Now for the clothes dryer, the repairman had to take the entire dryer apart to get at a piece that on old models used to be easily accessible. The manufacturer has effectively downloaded the unit cost onto the consumer.

So, my old appliances lasted more than 15 years with no service calls. Now I have made several service calls with new "green" appliance. Where is the power / water savings?

I believe in being energy efficient but the green businesses are all crap. I believe the same can be said for solar power. It just doesn't live up to its promises in the real world applications.
    Dec 2, 2012. 08:58 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Fracking, Climate Change And What Gets Lost In The Shuffle [View article]
    "Fracing has been performed for 25 years in Alberta."

AND? Reports of problems have been found in Alberta as well as elsewhere. I'm not sure what your point is.
    Dec 2, 2012. 06:04 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Fracking, Climate Change And What Gets Lost In The Shuffle [View article]
    ProPublica, an independent, non-profit newsroom that produces investigative journalism in the public interest has found many gaps in the EPA conclusion that hydraulic fracturing poses no risk to drinking water. In addition, many of the regulations are loosely enforced, especially in regards to using diesel fuel as an additive. More than 1,000 cases of water contamination across seven states have been found to have originated from a fracturing process. A recent New York Times article also documents the failure of an oilfield company failing to report fracturing violations to the EPA.
    Dec 1, 2012. 10:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Fracking, Climate Change And What Gets Lost In The Shuffle [View article]
    In the 121-page draft report released today, EPA officials said that the contamination near the town of Pavillion, Wyo., had most likely seeped up from gas wells and contained at least 10 compounds known to be used in frack fluids.

"The presence of synthetic compounds such as glycol ethers...and the assortment of other organic components is explained as the result of direct mixing of hydraulic fracturing fluids with ground water in the Pavillion gas field," the draft report states. "Alternative explanations were carefully considered."
    Dec 1, 2012. 10:21 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Fracking, Climate Change And What Gets Lost In The Shuffle [View article]
    Ernst, a biologist and environmental consultant to the oil and gas industry, says EnCana "told us ‘we would never fracture near your water.' But the company fracked into our aquifer in that same year [2004]." By 2005, she says, "My water began dramatically changing, going bad. I was getting horrible burns and rashes from taking a shower, and then my dogs refused to drink the water. That's when I began to pay attention." At least fifteen water-wells had gone bad in the little community.
    Dec 1, 2012. 10:19 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment