Steve Zoller

View Steve Zoller's Comments BY TICKER:
  • A SiriusXM Bull's Trading Strategy [View article]
    Over the years, I’ve seen a lot of subject lines in SA about SIRI. This is the first one I’ve read. It leads me to a question I’ve been wanting to ask for a long time. Why are so many articles written about SIRI? I understand why people write about APPL, NFLX, PG, and a handful of others but why SIRI??? Since you’ve written 50+ articles about it, why?

Separately, I’ve only written two articles for SA and I did them identified. I come from the world of scientific literature where it would be unthinkable to write under a pseudonym. What is your reason? I ask because I’m curious if it’s a reason I should take into consideration myself in the future.
    Mar 3 06:31 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • An Apple Update And Other Thoughts On Selling Puts [View article]
    In your article, you make the comparison between selling a put and buying the stock or buying a call. I would think the appropriate comparison to selling a put is selling a covered call. What are your thoughts about that comparison?
    Mar 2 09:07 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Covered Calls On Dividend Stocks - Enhancing Returns Or Kidding Yourself? [View article]
    John, I too have concluded selling calls on low volatility dividend paying stocks pays out.

Why do you sell your calls multiple months out? There’s more profit in doing it monthly and also less market unknowns to deal with when selecting the strikes.
    Feb 28 04:45 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Some 'Tips' For Dividend Growth Investors [View article]
    David, excellent explanation about TIPS. Thanks.

I’m interested to also understand how buying the iShares TIP Bond Fund ends up paying out over time and its risks relative to buying TIPS bonds directly from the treasury. It looks like the TIP bond fund has gone from about $70 in Jan 04 to almost $120 today, which includes reinvesting dividends. This is a 70% increase in 7 years. Not bad. Does this make TIP a good addition to a dividend paying portfolio even if TIPS is not?
    Feb 22 10:30 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 REITs Yielding 15% And 2 To Avoid [View article]
    Johnny, it says on your profile that you trade daily and given you’ve made almost 300 comments in SA, you’re obviously an experienced trader/investor. Given this, you should get interested in options because they are a good way to make money. My word of caution is spend the time to learn them throughly and in a depth you cannot learn just from reading about them in SA. In addition, do lots of paper trading before you go to live trading. Options are far more complicated than long stock investing and importantly, it’s a lot easier to lose money with options than it is to make money with them.
    Feb 19 09:43 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Backward Way To Achieve 10% Yield On Cost In 10 Years [View article]
    Smarty, I agree with all of your points and will build on the first one.

There are a lot of dividend investors who spend a lot of time annually here in Seeking Alpha. If they redirected just a small fraction of that time to learn to sell puts, they could take a proactive, low risk way to get their entry yield a lot sooner than just waiting and hoping for a big enough pull-back.

It’s not hard and not risky. See this article for more perspective. http://seekingalpha.co....

Robert, you are of course “smart” enough. The real question is whether it’s financially worth your time. I’m quite sure it would be.

Steve
    Feb 17 05:12 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • How I Morphed Into A Dividend Zealot [View article]
    "I also am looking to buy healthy dividend stocks at what I deem to be sale prices but I can't help but wonder what we are all going to do if the market soars and all these 3% dividends turn into 1.5% dividends.”

WallstreetPete, dividends are paid as dollars per share and not as a percentage. So even if the price on the stock doubles, your income remains the same. It doesn’t drop in half the way the percentage does. It’s also true when the market tumbles, if you’ve picked the long-term dividend payers you’re also going to get the same income. Your payout doesn’t double.

If you’re referring to what are you going to do to continue investing in dividend paying stocks if the market soars and their yields fall in half, my answer to that is I really really really really hope we have that problem. :-)
    Jan 28 08:21 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How I Morphed Into A Dividend Zealot [View article]
    Guraaf, selling covered calls on your dividend stocks is the way to go. You'll easily earn more on the covered calls than on the dividends. I wrote an article about it a couple of months ago. http://seekingalpha.co.... It's worth learning how to do.
    Jan 28 08:10 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Retirement Portfolio For Do It Yourselfers - An Update [View article]
    Dave, another good article but holy cow, how in the world do you find time to manage all the businesses, have a job, read articles, write articles, and answer comments in articles. Do you have a day that's longer than 24 hours or did you decide sleep was over rated? :-) Steve
    Dec 2 12:50 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Investors: Improve Your Annual Yield [View article]
    Wizkid, thanks for the additional perspective.
    Dec 1 08:54 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Investors: Improve Your Annual Yield [View article]
    Kewrc, thanks for the comments.

I couldn't have answered your questions any better than Nike did. For a small amount of additional detail, see the last paragraph under my Concept heading for your first question and the first and third paragraphs under the Tactics heading for your second question.

Steve
    Nov 30 08:11 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Investors: Improve Your Annual Yield [View article]
    Nike, thanks for the positive feedback. And I see your point, one can lose more. Thanks for the trading strategy example for how to recover. I like it. Is one we can all learn from. Steve
    Nov 29 06:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Investors: Improve Your Annual Yield [View article]
    NVC, I know what you mean. However, just for fun check what the ROI is on doing covered calls on a few of them. You may be surprised. While the credit is fairly small, you don't need much over the course of a year to get something similar to the yield of some of the core dividend stocks. Doubling your annual yield is a big difference. One of the reasons I used PG as the example is to make this point.

Steve
    Nov 29 06:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Investors: Improve Your Annual Yield [View article]
    Dave, thanks for reading and for the compliment. I do think these will help your annual returns. Start small or in a paper money account so learning about it will seem like fun and not work. Steve
    Nov 28 05:05 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Investors: Improve Your Annual Yield [View article]
    Filftwalton, thanks for reading. I should have put in the disclaimer that I was ignoring trading costs. Fortunately, they are quite small compared to the expected returns. Steve
    Nov 28 05:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment