Stock Cat

View Stock Cat's Comments BY TICKER:
  • hhgregg's Sell-Off Is Overdone [View article]
    A very clear and compelling thesis - thanks for the write-up.

I have done some due diligence and it would be awesome to hear the authors views on the following:

1. Store roll out - the company doubled its store numbers over the last five years, but has since put its roll out program on hold. When would you expect to see this resume again? Given hhgregg's relatively low penetration, new stores could present substantial upside.

2. CFO - the CFO resigned on 26 December last year. Would you read much into this? The company didn't provide many details, citing that the CFO left to pursue a similar opportunity.

3. Electronics retail - if this space remains competitive, can hhgregg operate a sustainable business? Have any comparable brick-and-morter retailers been successful in this more competitive environment?

Thanks, and keep writing
    Feb 9 03:55 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Long Titan Energy Services: 7.5x P/E, 50% Growth & Tangible Long-Term Opportunities [View article]
    Hi V Investor,
    That's a good question. There are a couple of schools of thought on the downside potential for Titan.

The first is that there is limited downside - Titan is already priced at a multiple which implies low expectations of the company. At ~7.5x forward earnings (around half the market), there isn't much room for multiple contraction. Titan is also priced below most of the compcos listed in my article despite it (1) growing faster (2) being one of the few resource service companies that isn't exposed to a commodity that is falling in price.

The second school of thought is never underestimate the market's ability to punish a small-cap resource company! Ausdrill is a perfect example of this as the company is trading at a 3.0x (trailing) P/E and 0.3x book value. However, unlike Titan, Ausdrill is facing some governance issues, downgraded its earnings forecast by ~50%, and is more heavily geared than Titan. Also, on a forward basis Ausdrill is trading close to a 7.5x P/E (nearly the same as Titan).

So, if an Ausdrill case plays out, it could challenge my short-term thesis. However, note the differences between Titan and Ausdrill listed above, and also take comfort that these is a robust long-term story which should act as a safety net if there are short-term challenges.

I hope this is helpful. All the best for your investing.
    Feb 3 03:37 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Fiesta Restaurant Group: Balance Sheet Recapitalization Creates Upside To Estimates [View article]
    Thanks for the well-researched article.

I always pay attention to young fast food chains that are growing rapidly. If the company only has a presence in a handful of states, then there is plenty of head room for growth. What's more, this copy-paste approach to growth can be low risk, as what works in one state often works in another (in contrast to international expansion, launching a new product line, acquiring a competitor, or many other growth strategies.)

Just a couple of questions, that it would be great to hear the authors thoughts on:

1. Why is FRGI so determined to expand via company-owned stores rather than via franchising? You're model implies ~5 franchised stores p.a. compared to ~20 company-owned. Also, the investor presentation shows ~17% of stores are franchised and 83% owned. Franchising facilitates rapid growth, and the lower capital outlay de-risks much of this growth. It was a strategy commonly employed by many of the fast food titans, such as McDonalds

2. Is 'fast casual' dining a growing trend? I'm interested to hear more about it, and whether fast casual is likely to be the next big trend in fast food.
    Jan 31 05:28 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks for reading my article and doing your own due diligence.

I agree there are material risks around Titan. Like any investment, I weigh these risks against company's valuation, growth opportunities and track record. For me personally, Titan more than stacks up.

I think the risks that you outline are fair. But here's a Titan-bull's perspective!

- Weather: agree that this can affect FY14 earnings, though I note there is an adverse weather allowance factored into FY14 guidance. Also, projects delayed due to bad weather, generally go online in the next FY, so it's more a timing issue than a structural issue

- Business: agree that service offering is relatively commoditized. However, the management team is strong for a company of Titan's size, it's developing a good track record of winning contracts, and growth is possible without having to claw any market share (as the CSG market is growing fast)

- Director selling: I don't weight director selling as heavily as I do buying. There are many reasons a director would sell - taking profit, liquidity, re-balancing their portfolio - and only one reason a director would buy - they expect the price to go up. I note that directors were selling around the $3.00 to $3.50 mark. I.e. after Titan was a three-bagger for the calendar year. So perhaps it was just a bit of profit taking?
    Jan 28 06:02 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Cheers!
    Jan 28 05:39 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Copa Holdings SA: Growing In The Hub Of The Americas [View article]
    Excellent article! I really appreciated the concise overview of CPA's growth opportunities.

It would be great to hear your views on the recent share price performance. The company lost 13.7% over the last month, and I am struggling to fathom why.
    Jan 24 07:43 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 60 Years Of Data Says Lower Returns To Come [View article]
    It may well be. It's outside the scope of my article, as I wanted to take a quantitative / mean-reversion perspective. But this appears to support your thesis:

Jan 17 05:18 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 60 Years Of Data Says Lower Returns To Come [View article]
    Yes, you could certainly infer that from the analysis. Though my inclination as an investor is to stay away from bubbles (the 3 /15 times) as they can burst at any moment, so there is no robust way to time your exit. Therefore, for my purposes, I exclude bubble events, which makes the odds look less favorable.

On the flip-side of this 8 / 15, not a terrible case for remaining invested, is the 7 / 15 times were returns were negative over the next two years. So it's almost a coin toss - I try to stack the odds more in my favor when investing
    Jan 17 05:14 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 60 Years Of Data Says Lower Returns To Come [View article]
    Good question, and thanks for reading my article in depth.

I should have clarified that I measured returns from where they peaked, after crossing the 40% mark, to where they bottomed out in the next two years.

So there were times in the two years following a market peak where returns landed in the 17% to 40% range, but they never bottomed out here.

I hope this helps
    Jan 17 05:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 60 Years Of Data Says Lower Returns To Come [View article]
    Thank you all for the kind comments. I am glad you enjoyed the article, and please don't hesitate to share ;)
    Jan 6 11:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Medusa Mining - Low-Cost Gold And Buyout Potential [View article]
    Well written, and a robust investment thesis. I'm surprised this didn't make Alpha-Rich.

Do you know of any other low-cost producers with no debt, that have more than one producing mine? I'm keen to accumulate a few gold mining stocks that meet this criteria.

Sep 25 10:29 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Copa Holdings: Uniquely Positioned Panamanian Airliner Priced For 50% Gains [View article]
    Excellent article, many thanks.

The company has been increasing its dividend as follows, which reinforces your view:

May 2009: $0.37 / share
    May 2010: $1.09
    May 2011: $1.64
    May 2012: $2.10
    Dec 2012: $2.25

What is the political environment like in Latin America? Does this pose any risks?
    Jul 11 08:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What Makes BP Compelling Over The Next 5 Years [View article]
    Thanks Tim, good article.

You talk about the PE reverting to its historic levels, and how this may be a key driver of return. I quite agree. Given that the stock is on a 5.9x PE, it would be crazy to assume it stays this low forever. Though I suspect the only catalyst for BP reverting to a 10-12x PE would be increased certainty about the magnitude of its claims liability.

It may also be worth adding some context around the dividend. Before the oil spill, the BP ADR was paying $0.84 / quarter. The dividend was suspended after the spill, and in Feb '11 was reinstated to $0.42 / quarter (half the historic level).

Since Feb '11, the dividend has increased twice, and is now $0.54 / quarter. At today's price, BP is on a 5.1% yield, despite only paying out 30.1% of its earnings. Put another way, if BP paid out 100% of earnings it would earn a yield of 16.5% - a feat that not many other stocks can claim.

If the dividend reverted to $0.84 (perhaps, once again, the catalyst would be increased visibility over its claims liability) the yield would be 8.1%, despite only paying out only 48% of its earnings.
    Jun 24 11:12 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Apple's Best Days Are Yet To Come [View article]
    Excellent article. Keep writing
    Jun 20 07:39 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Pricing Apple's Uncertain Future: A Scenario Model [View article]
    Hi ValueTech,

I agree there is very little visibility beyond 2-3 years, which is why I gave my model a 2.5 year horizon.

Between FY08 and FY12, AAPL has had a trailing PE on its core business ranging from 10.5x to 16.1x. This is seriously low for a company growing net revenue at 42.9% p.a. over the same period! Many market commentators attribute this low PE to AAPL's constant need to innovate to maintain its earnings stream. This seems to be consistent with your view about little visibility beyond a 2-3 year horizon
    May 24 08:59 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment