Stock Jackal

View Stock Jackal's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Jefferies Makes An About-Face On Research In Motion [View article]
    Ya typical of fancy analysis and bias opinions, then when proven wrong.... if you can't beat them join them.... I do think its smart that Jefferies does it earlier rather than later, then they don't look as bad.

Funny how they can say BB10 is DOA based on not even using the device yet... then you hear that the carriers are like "wait this is actually good", then you change to... "I guess its not DOA according to the people that matter, and people that have actually picked up the device".

What is also amazing is the sentiment shift in general. If you look at the comments on my earlier RIMM articles it was like 80% negative / 20% positive towards RIMM.

Now it's 80% positive / 20% negative... this is the "art" in all the "science". Now that sentiment shift has happened with RIMM, I feel as though the bull rush will continue.... Of course all the shorts running for cover during an artillery shelling helps too! :-)
    Nov 20 01:15 PM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Will The RIM-Pire Strike Back? [View article]
    I disagree,

For years BMW was dominant as a luxury car as an example and Audi was old and tired.

Then Audi decides to innovate and release models with LED headlamps, and now is no longer old and tired and as a result has surged in popularity and market share.

I think your development company is going to miss the boat then, and any of the 100 million Rim is spending on courting devs. You obviously haven't don't Jack and squat on QNX, since you are quoting the last 2 years and Jack left town. Why don't you actually try to develop on QNX, then come back and carry yourself as the expert you are trying to be.

At this point I highly doubt you have even touched a Dev Alpha device from what you are claiming.
    Jul 24 10:57 AM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Use The Crash Of 2008/2009 To Judge Severely Undervalued Stocks Like Kinross Gold And TransAlta [View article]
    Pig,

Maybe, but there are a few different investment styles. As per my bio, I am a contrarian value type investor.

So because of this, I am not interested in AAPL at all. I have commented to this fact on many other articles that the AAPL chart is very similar to the Dutch Tulip craze circa 1636.

I do not like the buy high, and sell higher. I prefer trying to find what I think are bargains, working within a margin of safety, and waiting for the margin to acknowledge the value.

This doesn't mean that all articles should be about AAPL either, or that would make a pretty bland investing site. But time will tell I guess, and to each their own. Thank you for your feedback.
    May 13 12:58 PM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry Could Double From Here [View article]
    That's weird Andreas where I work in an enterprise that is security sensitive, 80% of people still use BB phones, and have been slowly upgrading to the Z10/Q10 when they are allowed to. I can't until January and I will be changing out my Bold for an new BB10 device.
    Sep 19 12:20 PM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • RIM: Making The Case For A Comeback [View article]
    Right...JH2012..... because in order to go bankrupt you need to owe to a creditor.... which RIMM does not.... how many companies in the S&P have no debt again? What percentage does that work out to?

So when they sell this new BB10 product, that won't translate into more revenue and possible profit? OR do you think they will just take 300 million loss's each quarter for the next 12 months?

Why don't you calculate a conservative 10 million BB10 sales 1/8 of their current sub base *$100 a guess at profit per phone minus 5000 workers salaries, and see what number you come up with. Then see if you can say the same thing.... even an elementary school kid can figure out this is a good deal at current valuation.
    Nov 16 02:44 PM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Marketing Has Failed BlackBerry [View article]
    You do raise a good point Sf,

However I don't see how they can release news in a group anymore. They at least need to show some uptake even if it is a company at a time. In my opinion that is how momentum can build. there are many companies that take the wait and see approach so they need to see some adoption even if a piece at a time.

I am not aware of any other MDM solution that has 25,000 "test" servers out there.
    Nov 21 01:37 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Microsoft Should Buy BlackBerry Post Nokia And Rule The Galaxy As Father And Son [View article]
    Sfinvestor I fail to see how that would happen. MSFT would instantly be adding 10B in sales and 3B in cash. Not to mention it would boost confidence on BBRY products as people would realize that they are back by a solid sugar daddy,
    Sep 5 04:02 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Recent Price Dip Ideal For Investors To Buy Utilities [View article]
    @hobertd

“Be Fearful When Others Are Greedy and Greedy When Others Are Fearful”

― Warren Buffett
    Nov 16 04:51 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • RIM: Making The Case For A Comeback [View article]
    Nice article Kurt,

I agree all around. Some additional strengths are licensing of QNX, patents (which we have all seen can be used to make money by suing), 1.5 billion in un-mortgaged real-estate if additional cash is needed.

Trimmed down workforce should also improve margins.
    Nov 16 02:36 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Will The RIM-Pire Strike Back? [View article]
    @Liranc who is to say that the new Amazon phone won't run a licensed version of QNX, if it is shown to be superior to Android?

"RIMM has failed to capture market attention for SOME TIME"

100 million smartphones in the USA, 30 million of which are Iphones (the ever important market people are complaining about that RIM will fail because of NA market loss)

30 million cars currently run QNX (note the same number as Iphones currently being used in the USA) + 11 Million more cars projected next year alone 1/3 of the current Iphones being used in the USA)

Perhaps we need to think of RIMM as not just a smartphone company? Through in the fact that the phones will work perfectly on the same platform as your car and I see growth and synergy.
    Jul 24 11:08 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • RIM: Making The Case For A Comeback [View article]
    RIMM just broke above $9...be cool to see if it breaks through $9.15 today.... someone is buying millions of shares ATM...
    Nov 16 03:06 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Will The RIM-Pire Strike Back? [View article]
    Most people spend a lot of time in the car that you own. This is why I tend to invest in a better stereo system in my car then in my house, because I know I will use it way more.

If a car has an option to cloud sync with all of my media, and I can drive through toll booths not having to stop because my NFC QNX Blackberry auto pay's and stop to get my coffee by swiping my phone.

Then I would highly consider buying that car, and buying that phone.

I pretty sure any car with cloud sync features, and a digital HUD is going to be a hit with consumers, and QNX is already ahead of both MSFT and AAPL in this regard, and have the reverse market share dominance in this market.

My guess is that there are healthy margins selling software to cars, then the margins on selling smartphones. In tandem, it gives RIMM a healthy viable business which is contrary to popular belief.

I will take the car "ecosystem" as just being as important or more than the home "ecosystem".
    Jul 24 12:19 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Will The RIM-Pire Strike Back? [View article]
    Only utility type stocks get that sort of evaluation, stocks that have longevity (just make the same $$$ year after year are the only stocks that care about assests/no debt).

"blanket statement" I don't know I can find you some equities that sport pretty high valuations longevity aside.

Actually RIMM's EPS is more this year then in 2008, yet look at the share price difference? Consider the writedowns for the loss, just like MSFT's mst recent earnings release.
    Jul 24 11:00 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • An Asset-Based Valuation Of BlackBerry [View article]
    Right and then when they don't have a position David you make fun of that too, at least he put his money where is mouth is..
    Aug 15 11:17 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Marketing Has Failed BlackBerry [View article]
    @ VideoFan and how many apps do you have installed on your device, in which you use on a regular basis?
    Nov 21 12:43 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment