Stock Market Mike

View Stock Market Mike's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Brad Thomas Positions For 2015: Attractive Opportunities Present Themselves In REITs [View article]
    My only REIT regret this year is not putting more money into OHI, DFT, and DLR.

Nice interview. Keep up the great writings, Brad!

Dec 24, 2014. 10:52 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    It all comes down to how quickly it happens, and how quickly your REITs are growing per-share value.

Quite a few REITs have 10-15% ffo growth per share per year. If rates rise fast like the taper tantrum in 2013, *whack*. If they rise slowly over 5 years, then your REIT should have twice as much FFO per share, since if you compound 1.15x 5 times you get 2.01x; if you're worried about suffering a 50% haircut, only invest in fast growing REITs.

Dec 24, 2014. 10:47 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • American Realty -7% as accounting fallout continues [View news story]
    Book value doesn't mean much. I have seen companies go to 15% of book value. That old adage about the market remaining irrational longer than you can remain solvent is likely true.

Dec 24, 2014. 09:35 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • American Realty -7% as accounting fallout continues [View news story]
    NADL has a 60% yield.

Oh wait - now it doesn't. :/

Dec 24, 2014. 09:33 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Omega Healthcare Investors: Why You Should Consider This 5.4% Yielding Healthcare REIT [View article]
    I doubt that'll become an issue. OHI indicated that this was a merger rather than acquisition, and it gave them enough 'scale'.

That's also why they're retaining just about everyone from AVIV. They plan to grow, but they don't plan to do it by being a gobble monster - they just acquired a bunch of people that have been hitting 9%+ cap rates on single properties, and they expect to continue to do so. This was more about the people and operator relationships than actual properties.

Dec 22, 2014. 08:26 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Micron: A Big Value Story Most Of The Market Is Missing [View article]
    Understood. That said, some of these gems really are poorly covered. One that I did quite well on was RGEN, and it only comes up sporadically on SA.

Dec 19, 2014. 11:57 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Whitestone REIT declares $0.285 dividend [View news story]
    The summary got it correct. WSR declares 3 months at a time, paid in $0.095 monthly.

Dec 19, 2014. 11:44 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Morgan Stanley upbeat about Q4 iPhone sales; BBC probes labor practices [View news story]
    I wish the media would probe the media.

Honestly, you get more factual information from bloggers these days. The majority of stuff on news sites or TV is just hype.

Dec 19, 2014. 11:40 AM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Oil's drop has punished Icahn, Paulson [View news story]
    Interesting theory. My brokerage has a thing called a margin call that indicates they don't have the same beliefs.

Dec 19, 2014. 11:23 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • An Intelligent Way To Think About Healthcare Trust Of America's Reverse Stock Split [View article]
    REIT ETFs like the VNQ do pay dividends, but they may vary significantly from quarter to quarter. If income is your goal, that's not the way to go...

With an ETF you buy everything on a specific date. The good, the bad, the do-nothing. The VNQ hasn't made that much progress since the start of 2013... some REITs are up well over 50% since then.

As an example, my main position in DFT was initiated on a double-bottom in Apr of this year.

Up about 45% since then... you can't do that with an ETF. You can't be selective about entry points and sectors. But you do protect yourself from blowups like ARCP... but not from perceived secular headwinds like rising rates. A REIT with enough growth and long term debt should be able to out-grow rising rates, but many REITs will not be able to, and it will show as stable or slight downward pressure on the ETFs.

Dec 18, 2014. 01:03 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Micron: A Big Value Story Most Of The Market Is Missing [View article]
    You clearly haven't been following SDRL, ARCP, or BBRY.

Five times as many articles as MU... or perhaps even more.

Dec 18, 2014. 12:47 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Micron: A Big Value Story Most Of The Market Is Missing [View article]
    It's for technical reasons. MU is an easy stock to trade-vest... I have been since 2012. I mostly play it with call options because it has such a strong long-term bullish outlook. Hard to go wrong as long as you don't cut yourself short on time.

Hedging at opportune times or selling out completely (to dodge dips) keeps my portfolio rising faster than shares or non-traded calls. I was able to buy about 30% more MU calls thanks to dodging this most recent dip from $36.50 to under $33.

I try to leave a track record for a lot of my moves. There's a lot of people on these boards that claim to be awesome, but without that timestamped track record it's hard to know whether it's bluff and bluster.

Things of note - most of the selloffs had high volume at the capitulation moments. This most recent one did not, but my view is that the fed may have just turned things around. Since I sold pretty much all my MU at $36.50 except some 2016 $20 strike LEAPS that I didn't want in this tax year, I had to get back in once it dipped far enough. Can't let the train get away from me.

Dec 18, 2014. 12:44 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Micron: A Big Value Story Most Of The Market Is Missing [View article]
    Yen weakened significantly this quarter. Anyone care to calculate how much of a benefit that will be to them?

Dec 18, 2014. 12:18 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Penn West Cuts Dividend 80%, Now Yields 6% [View article]
    If the oil price rises that rapidly by next year, I hope they'd put the funds towards paying down debt.

But I don't think WTI will see $85 again for a while. Oil isn't my thing, but this downturn seems like it might last a bit longer than most.

Dec 18, 2014. 02:52 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Penn West Cuts Dividend 80%, Now Yields 6% [View article]
    They peaked around +14% at the highs of the day when oil was screaming higher. When it backed off, so did the stock... to +8%.

I'm actually hoping it plunges under $2 so that I can buy a bunch and sit on it. Somehow I feel like it already put the low in, unless oil goes dramatically lower...

Dec 18, 2014. 02:48 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment