Stock Market Mike

View Stock Market Mike's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Microsoft: Time To Take Profits [View article]
    May help AMD next earnings release. I'll cross my fingers as I go into a third one mostly naked... wish me luck - third time is the charm?

Aug 22 03:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft: Time To Take Profits [View article]
    Who was it that had a $60 PT on MSFT?

They certainly have been delivering growth. Maybe the market will realize it, maybe not. Good luck.

Aug 22 03:25 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft: Time To Take Profits [View article]
    I'd like to see more of these as well. If they're tough to get past the editorial teams, let us know - I'm sure if a bunch of us write in to complain, that'd help.

Aug 22 03:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft: Time To Take Profits [View article]
    People kept saying that about MU... when it was $9... and $13... and $17... and $22... and $25... and $28... and... oh, $33.

If GILD goes to $200 over the next 2-3 years, you'll then know why to pay up.

I'm very curious to see what Bret's 120 strike 2016 LEAPS end up being worth. I had a few LEAPS go to ~4000% in 2013. Could this be another?

Aug 22 03:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ashford Hospitality Trust: A Strong Yield Play In Lodging [View article]
    Depreciation counts against net income, so GAAP hides their true cash flow. Focus on FFO for REITs. AFFO is more murky.

Aug 22 02:17 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Update: More Downtime For Transocean's Fleet [View article]
    Technically RIG, DO, and HERO are all in downtrends - HERO's is just a heck of a lot steeper, and they don't pay you a dividend to wait.

Instablog: http://seekingalpha.co...

Aug 22 12:07 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Update: More Downtime For Transocean's Fleet [View article]
    Could be. Didn't it take hard drive manufacturers about 3 years to move beyond a PE of oh... 5?

RIG has a lot of rigs coming off contract, and has to modernize a large portion of its fleet. Two big overhangs on the stock.

Aug 22 12:05 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • More on the Rosneft, North Atlantic Drilling deal [View news story]
    NADL is going to stay as a risk position in my portfolio. I'm not of the cold war era, so I'm not biased against that part of the world. There's many new businesses that are flourishing when they expand to that area of the world - it seems to be the old legacy biased US ones that flounder. I'll trust Fredriksen on this one.

Aug 22 11:31 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Fleet status from Diamond Offshore, Hercules adds to concern over drillers [View news story]
    When will the analysts realize this slowdown is bifurcation of the market?

DO and RIG and HERO - they face the task of modernizing their fleets before it is too late.

Meanwhile SDRL keeps chugging along at record dayrates and near perfect utilization. The offshore drilling sector isn't slowing down... it's just ALL shifting to modern rigs at companies like SDRL (+ESV / PACD / ORIG / etc.?)

SDRL + ORIG appear to be in volatile uptrends... DO, RIG, and HERO in volatile downtrends.

Aug 21 02:53 PM | 15 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 50 stocks that "matter most" to hedge funds [View news story]
    I don't think buying just AAPL is proper hedging.

Although who am I to argue? I threw 85% of my net worth into MU at about $5.50

Aug 21 12:36 PM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Penn West receives noteholder waivers amid multi-year review of statements [View news story]
    So far it's looking like all the creditors are on board - as long as one doesn't decide to pull the rug out from under them, this will probably blow over.

I took a SMALL position at $7. We'll see whether it was a wise move.

Aug 21 12:30 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Retirement Strategy: When Taking A Position In A Beaten Down Stock Makes Sense [View article]
    How do you feel about PWE? It's been beaten to a pulp as well. Has a pretty decent book value discount, from what I've heard. (I don't know the exact number.)

I usually limit my speculative positions to a few thousand, at most. I just scooped up about 500 PWE shares @ $7. Stop-limit in place to protect me if it turns around, while I research the company more thoroughly.

Aug 20 10:50 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Seadrill Makes Higher Lows On Improved Investor Confidence - Charts And Moving Averages [View instapost]
    Cheers, James_B,

It's been drifting upward for a few days. ESV's fleet status report came in good. The only thing that would kick it in the teeth are analyst downgrades or a sudden drop in oil prices.

I don't really see it climbing much further until that earnings release. The release has to be good to shove it back towards $40+; if it's not good, it'll break the trend, and we'll have to see whether traders quickly buy the dip or let it drift downward.

Some of those dips below the trend lines got bought quickly, so the stock scarely spent a week below them. But the share price is higher now, and dips in other companies clearly started a downward drift... could happen depending on how the market takes their execution and guidance.

Waiting for Aug 27th. Hope it's good! Probably going in naked on my calls (Not a spread.), though I'll decide for sure closer to then.

Aug 20 09:39 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sell AMD: Traditional Markets Will Do Damage [View article]
    I've noticed the similarly worded posts as well. It's eerie. But other stocks have a heck of a lot more than these AMD postings do. Just go check out BBRY. Even some not well known ones like AWLCF seem to have the exact same facts posted by the first three (different) commenters in every article that covers the company. Kinda creepy. Keeps me from investing - maybe that's their plan? ;)

Aug 20 03:29 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Hollywood studios look to Governor Moonbeam for tax breaks [View news story]
    Are the posting robots on the fritz?

Aug 20 12:36 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment