Stock Market Mike

View Stock Market Mike's Comments BY TICKER:
  • PC Markets Are Stabilizing And Intel Will Benefit [View article]
    I'm seeing lots of people buying tablets... Android tablets. Mostly Samsung, but I've also recently come across Lenovo, Acer, Asus, etc. tablets.

Better screens, more RAM, faster processors, costs 50-80% of the price.

You pay steep markup for that Apple brand name. I suspect people are starting to figure it out.

Apr 24 12:00 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Eagle Rock Energy: 4 Reasons Why This 12.4%-Yielding Stock Is A 'Strong Buy' [View article]
    Yikes. Looks like I probably caught a knife. My Apr covered calls expired worthless, so I sold some more. Cost base is ~$4.10 now, but EROC is already below that.

Judging by the price action, there's more downside ahead.

Apr 24 11:53 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • DuPont Fabros AAFO beats by $0.05, beats on revenue [View news story]
    Anyone care to guess why it got hammered by 2% over these results? VNQ is up today, too.
    Apr 24 10:34 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BP: Solid High-Yield Play Gets Upgraded [View article]
    Or maybe he's a simpleton? "When it halves in price, I'll buy in!"?

It peaked over $50 - so buy at $25 and accidentally nail the bottom? Same thing worked with LINE. Peaked at $41, 52wk low just under $20.50

Remember - you're trading with other people. They are not guaranteed to be smarter than you, so they very well may base their decisions on arbitrary things like it dropping 50%.

Apr 23 05:37 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Neonode: 6 Reasons To Buy This $6 Stock [View article]
    It tells me to avoid the stock. Too much controversy.

Apr 23 12:23 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Coca-Cola Or Microsoft? [View article]
    If they'll pay $69.99/yr for McAfee antivirus, why wouldn't they pay under half that for Windows? Especially if it comes with perks like being able to select whichever version they want? (Most would likely choose Windows 7)

Apr 23 10:33 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Skyworks +6.4% AH on FQ2 beat, guidance; RF Micro +1.9% [View news story]
    This company reliably beats and raises! I wish I had heard about it before ~2014.

Apr 22 04:50 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 2 High-Yield Plays On My Radar [View article]
    Someone told me BX files in June or July or some month thereabouts, so you have to file amendments for your taxes, after the fact?

Ick.

Apr 22 03:48 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Coca-Cola Or Microsoft? [View article]
    What happens if MSFT begins to transition to a subscription model for Windows?

How many PCs do they sell via OEMs like HP and Acer? They get about $30-40 per license, max. They could very easily license Windows to users for $18-24/yr, and generate more revenue and profit. (sticky revenue, too!)

There are plenty of viable ways that they could shift their business. Their cloud efforts are progressing very well. I believe Office 365 is just the tip of the iceberg.

Apr 22 12:10 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Micron Technology: Convertible Disaster [View article]
    Going with ITM calls (mostly $20 strike - far out 2015/2016 LEAPs) saved my portfolio from getting really ugly. My breakeven point was around $23.50. But I lightened up on MU calls significantly late last year and early this year, so it's now down from 95% of my portfolio to less than 20%. I only have a few hundred ITM calls.

I do have some $30 strike 2015 calls too. (now naked, formerly a bull call spread) I think there's a good chance they'll be worth something. After the credit from the closed spread their cost is a bit under $1. If I had bought them at the ~$21.30 lowpoint I could've gotten two or three times as many. Heh.

Apr 22 11:52 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Seadrill Part 2: New Jackup Contracts Promise Revenue Growth And Improve Forward Earnings Visibility [View article]
    Figures. They're building a position. Others probably are too - we'll find out over the coming months.

Don't play their game...

Apr 22 10:58 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 2 Specialized High-Yield Plays [View article]
    On a total return basis, this is my best performing REIT for some strange reason. Got in months ago based on one of your articles, at around $8.80.

I appreciate all your efforts Bret - both the articles and the followups!

Apr 22 10:51 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Thursday Will Likely Center Around PCs For AMD [View article]
    Win8 has fuzzy scaling, while Win7 has incomplete scaling. Certain text or images look very fuzzy/blurry, just like if you resized something 50% larger in a paint program.

Again, this is only for the small minority of stuff - about 5% at most. It works fine for about 95% of stuff.

Re: 32bit - I must admit, I am annoyed that Windows still limits the amount of available memory. There's no reason to, other than to encourage people to spend more.

WinXP x64 supported 128GB. Win7 Home Premium - 16GB. :/

Windows 7 Home Premium 16 GB
    Windows 7 Home Basic 8GB
    Windows 7 Starter 2 GB

Apr 22 10:41 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Agnico Eagle Expects To Grow Its Output By 13% By 2016 [View article]
    They're 2015 LEAPs. Won't know until we see where things go over the remainder of the year.

I got stopped out of a lot of my shares and closed some of the naked options. Where my portfolio gained about 5-10% both Jan and Feb, I lost a bit more than double that in March as gold fell. Oh well - it's a good hedge against overseas events. (China's lack of growth, wars, etc.)

If I purchased puts on anything, it'd cost me around 10% for that duration anyway.

Apr 22 10:38 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment