Stock Market Mike

View Stock Market Mike's Comments BY TICKER:
  • A New Avenue For Healthcare REITs [View article]
    PendragonY:

I think you'll have a hard time convincing anyone of that once they've lived in Canada, Australia, Europe (Ex: Germany, Sweden, UK), or really any other part of the 1st world.

I'd be interested in seeing proof, but I really doubt it exists.

May 2, 2015. 03:19 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A New Avenue For Healthcare REITs [View article]
    OHI and DFT are both at ~6.3% yields right now. Old people and datacentres... the two megatrends.

May 2, 2015. 03:11 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Finding Awilco Drilling's Bottom [View article]
    PACD has been buying back stock. They were poised to initiate what might have been a 10 percent dividend, before oil prices crashed. Earnings show they have about $1.40/share in earnings power at former rates. What they roll over to is anybody's guess, but it makes sense that when the stock price dipped under $4 and down to ~$3, they'd start buying. PE of 2.

May 2, 2015. 02:29 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Mr. Market Is Trying To Send Us A Message About Omega Healthcare [View article]
    While true, there is also a double edged sword here.

Past rate increases were in response to very healthy economies with asset prices booming - no, bubbling!

Asset prices are already somewhat lofty and are unlikely to boom from here. They will likely decline or hold flat this time around due to the rate increases. That means REIT stock prices will have two headwinds rather than a headwind and tailwind offsetting each other.

Prudently managed REITs are locking in long term debt, but some REITs also have a third headwind of too much floating rate debt. That could gnaw into any FFO gains that the economy provides.

May 1, 2015. 03:32 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Scorpio Tankers On Track For A Breakout In 2015 [View article]
    Thanks for the article. I have a starter position of a couple hundred shares that I picked up in October. This is probably the stock in my portfolio that I know the least about. I bought them based on a recommendation from a fellow SA reader that made some good points (Primarily: low cost fleet!), and never got around to doing more research because of the size of the position.

Unlike the tech companies that I invest in, I have no idea what those classifications are. I appreciate the chart though - I can understand that operating costs and rates are both moving in the right directions. I suppose I'll hold onto these shares that I know nothing about. ;)

May 1, 2015. 03:06 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Agreed.

I also subscribe to the stupid market hypothesis rather than the efficient market one. OHI is down more than some because investors have the wrong yield numbers. It's listed wrong on Yahoo, elsewhere, and in this article. Forward 1 year yield should be 6.27% at today's prices... a significant discount to those other ones.

May 1, 2015. 11:23 AM | 16 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Glu Mobile's Tencent Engagement Means The Short Squeeze Is On [View article]
    Up 22% is not dropping. It just means buyers like myself are cautious to triple down at these levels. If we weren't, maybe it'd be up 25% or 30%? Who knows?

Most of my buys were in the high $3's and low $4's.

Apr 30, 2015. 01:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • WiLAN down 5.7% on post-earnings Canaccord downgrade [View news story]
    They need to provide solid non-GAAP guidance. Right now Analysts have a lot of trouble modelling the business.

Apr 30, 2015. 12:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Drawbacks Of Apple's Cash Hoard Are Starting To Show [View article]
    The funny part is, if they'd brought some of that cash back and paid taxes on it, then invested it, they'd have more cash today. Plus the government would have more tax dollars...

C'est la vie. 20/20 hindsight.

Apr 29, 2015. 02:37 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple's call: iPhone upgrades, Apple Watch, China, margins discussed [View news story]
    In 2008, their stock got cut in half... but it did recover just a year later. As always, careful (and pay close attention) with options - enjoy the ride with shares.

Apr 27, 2015. 07:42 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Companies that are predictable often move in between earnings releases. They rise or fall in the months between, depending on the outlook/guidance.

Apr 27, 2015. 07:39 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple's gross margin tops guidance; iPhone ASP at $659 [View news story]
    What do REITs and Apple have in common...? Snowball...! That stock price is rolling uphill endlessly.

Americans would pay $1000 for iPhones and still experience unit growth on the continent. You'd just have to add a few extras like free screen replacements when you drop it. That means margins can keep expanding for years to come, because the $659 ASP is nowhere near that.

Some people would call it a pyramid, but it's a natural one that sustains itself because the products are ridiculously popular.

Apr 27, 2015. 05:15 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Intel Compute Stick Is A Smart Buy [View article]

$199, and includes the screen, keyboard... a rather nice battery life. They've come on sale for cheaper. I even saw them available for $199 in Canada, which given the weaker currency is very reasonable.

Kiosks can run off a $30-45 Raspberry Pi.

These 32GB storage Windows devices are rather limiting. You can use them for internet stuff for a while, but usually they fill to the brim and then you're stuck. I know someone that grabbed an 32GB Asus Tablet/netbook hybrid in early 2014. Office + Windows Updates have filled it to about 800MB free, and that's with all docs/pics/etc on microSD. (Verified with WinDirStat) When it hits ~400MB free, programs just crash and refuse to open.

Buy 64GB devices if you intend to keep them for a while. Or go with a Linux based device, which will generally behave better with less space available.

Apr 27, 2015. 04:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Nokia says no return to phone manufacturing [View news story]
    Well that's a shame. I'd love a Lumia style camera in an Android phone. I can only imagine what several years to refine it could do to the Lumia 1020 camera.

Apr 27, 2015. 01:55 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Top First Quarter Pick Took Off Without Me [View article]
    Hey Brad, would Boralex on the TSX be considered a peer?

Apr 24, 2015. 07:25 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment