Stockerblog

View Stockerblog's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Top Turkey Stocks For Investors [View instapost]
    I try to avoid the appearance of trying to boost my own portfolio by touting my own stocks (like I have seen others do, especially with low cap stocks), so I try to look for interesting stocks that I would consider buying if my portfolio wasn't fully committed to other positions. However, occasionally, I can't avoid writing about my own positions, as some are very long term investments, e.g. Apple (AAPL).
    Aug 18 06:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Recent Stock Purchases Of Warren Buffett [View instapost]
    One way is to check the SEC EDGAR web site. I will try to keep the Buffett purchases updated on a quarterly basis.
    Aug 18 06:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Stocks Going Ex Dividend The Third Week Of August 2012 [View article]
    What is dishonest about receiving dividends? The article never claims that there is no risk. There is always risk to owning a stock, even for a short period of time. This is a technique for reducing risk because you limit the amount of time the stock is held.
    Aug 6 11:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Stocks Going Ex Dividend The Third Week Of August 2012 [View article]
    That's exactly what it says as a definition "Ex-dividend date: the first day on which a shareholder can sell the shares and still be entitled to the dividend." The second sentence in the article refers to the fact that you may have to wait a day or two or longer in order to sell at a breakeven price.
    Aug 6 11:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 27 Ways To Buy Facebook Stock Before It Goes Public [View article]
    Yes it is. According to Yahoo Finance, SVVC "is a closed ended equity mutual fund" more commonly referred to as a CEF.
    Mar 19 11:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Postage Increases Might Be the Least of eBay's Problems [View article]
    Here is what the IRS says:
    "Almost everything you own and use for personal purposes, pleasure, business or investment is a capital asset. The difference between the amount for which you sell the capital asset and your basis, which is usually what you paid for it, is a capital gain or a capital loss. While all capital gains are taxable and must be reported on your tax return, only capital losses on investment or business property are deductible. Losses on sales of personal property are not deductible."
    May 27 12:16 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Postage Increases Might Be the Least of eBay's Problems [View article]
    If a lot of these companies (AAPL, AMZN, EBAY, YHOO, etc.) started paying a small dividend, even a nominal one of just a few cents per share per year, they would open up a large market of potential institutional buyers: the mutual funds that have restrictions on only buying income stocks, and trust funds which are prohibited from investing in investments that don't generate an income.
    May 27 12:08 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Will Increased Postal Rates Hurt eBay? [View article]
    I know eBay may have partial blame but from what other ebayers have been telling me, the Post Office wouldn't even release postal rates to anyone prior to the date of the postal increase, other than nominal info on their news releeases. Prior to the rate change day, I gave up after 20 minutes on the USPS web site trying the find rate info, by I have a friend who spent a total of 20 hours on the phone to his local post office and Washington trying to find out what the exact rates were and to get clarification about packaging, but with no success.
    There may be an even bigger problem looming for eBay, which won't be theis fault at all [unless they don't lobby against it.] I will be writing about it shortly.
    May 23 05:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Will Increased Postal Rates Hurt eBay? [View article]
    I hear the same thing from many other eBay sellers. But this may not be the worst thing; there may be an even bigger problem on the horizon, based on what the government is considering. I plan on writing an article about it in the next couple days.
    May 23 04:56 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Six Argentina-Based Investment Opportunities [View article]
    According to the CIA World Factbook, Argentina is the second largest country by area in South America and the eighth largest by area in the world. Land size may not be a significant factor in investing, but because of its large size, it encompasses a substantial and diverse group of natural resources, including oil, natural gas, timber, sulfur, tungsten, uranium, gold, silver, zinc, magnesium, and copper. [Mining exports increased 500% in the last 10 years.] They also have an extensive amount of farm land and grazing land for cattle. Parts of Argentina are even suitable for growing vineyards, making Argentina the fifth largest wine producer in the world.
    May 20 11:35 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Five High Yield Small Cap Stocks [View article]
    This is a very old article. I actually suggested New Century as a short on March 1 in my blog:
    stockerblog.blogspot.c...
    Four days later, the stock would have provided a return of 67% to a short seller.
    May 17 01:58 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 6 Book Stocks To Watch [View article]
    This is a great analysis. I agree that the link between Amazon's success and book publishers is tenuous, the fact remains that book readership must be up if Wiley's revenues are up 6.7%, Courier's is up 11.5%, McGraw-Hill up 13.7%, etc.
    May 3 09:59 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Coffee Stocks: Not Just Starbucks [View article]
    In most of the financial references I've seen, it has been listed as a restaurant company as opposed to a coffee company. Even on their website, it says that they compete "with all restaurants in the Quick Service category (burgers, subs, pizzas and so on)."
    However, I will consider it for the next update of my list.
    May 3 08:50 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Investing in Stem Cell Stocks: Growth Industry of the Future? [View article]
    Thanks, will add it to my list when I do an update.
    Apr 26 09:44 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Six Ways To Invest In Mexico's Growth [View article]
    Yes, investing in the Mexico ETF is a good suggestion for a diversified play on Mexico stocks.
    Apr 26 09:40 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment