View StockMatusow's Articles BY TICKER:
ACAD, ACFN, ACOR, ACRX, ACUR, AGEN, ALIM, ANAC, ANIK, ARAY, ARIA, ARNA, ARQL, ASTX, ATHX, ATRS, AUXL, AVEO, BDSI, BIOD, BLRX, CBLI, CDXS, CEMP, CERS, CHTP, CPRX, CYCC, CYTK, EDAP, ENTA, ENZN, ETRM, FOLD, GSK, GTXI, HALO, IBIO, IMUC, INSM, INVE, ISR, KERX, MAPP, MCP, MDGN, MEIP, MELA, MNK, MNKD, MNOV, MRK, NBY, NEPT, NSPH, OMPI, ONTX, OPTR, OPXA, OREX, PFE, PGNX, PIP, POZN, PSDV, PSTI, RCPI, SCMP, SDRL, SGYP, SIGA, SLTM, SNSS, SNTA, SPPI, SSH, SYN, TEVA, THLD, TRGT, TTPH, VNDA, VOLC, VRNG, VRTX, WBMD, ZGNX, ZLTQ
Heavy Institutional Buying Is Occurring In MEI Pharma, Topline Data Due In Mid-March
- MEI Pharma has seen strong institutional buying which started late last year and is still ongoing.
- The company has an important topline data release, which is due in mid-March 2015.
- MEI also has several other potential price-moving catalyst events expected throughout this year which should keep it on both investor and trader radars.
3 Stocks That Should Move Significantly Higher Soon
- We frequently monitor stocks and their respective stories we think could make significant moves in the near-term.
- Each one of these stocks either has a strong potential price moving catalyst that has occurred, or is close to occurring.
- Today, we list three stocks we feel are likely to move higher in the short and mid-term.
Well-Known Activist Shareholder Pushing For Sale Of Identiv
- David Callan, a well-known activist who was involved with helping to facilitate the sales of Obagi, Solta, Sound Surgical and others, is now calling for Identiv to shop itself.
- Callan makes several key points in which many we agree with. We also think now would be a good time for Identiv to explore strategic alternatives.
- However, we think that Identiv is already in talks with suitors for acquisition and will be acquired soon. Nonetheless, we think it's positive for Callan to push for acquisition now.
Identiv Goes On The Record With NFC For Disney Infinity Toys: Star Wars Infinity Toys Likely Next
- Identiv's Chief financial officer Brian Nelson last week went on the record to confirm that Identiv has been supplying NFC technology for Disney Infinity toys.
- Our due diligence lead us to believe this fact many months ago, but the company had not confirmed for a fact that it's behind the NFC technology for the toys.
- We have since learned through our research that the company is likely to provide the same NFC technology for Disney's upcoming Star Wars infinity toys in 2015.
- We have included the entire investor conference where Brian Nelson goes on record about the infinity toys along with additional information.
NFC Technology Integrated Into Smartphones Helps Pave The Road For Identiv
- Apple's iPhone 6 institutes Near Field Communication (NFC) for its payment system.
- Before Apple adopted NFC for this use, the technology was seen as being in a kind of limbo.
- Identiv is in a prime position to capitalize on the reinvigoration of NFC.
- Identiv is one of the largest suppliers of NFC tags in the world, and provides these same tags for Disney's line of Infinity toys.
Cempra Poised To Join Antibacterial Drug Acquisition Buzz With Upcoming Data Release
- Cempra Pharmaceuticals expects top-line data release for community acquired bacterial pneumonia by the end of Q1'15.
- Cempra's Solithromycin is also designed to potentially treat a wide array of bacterial infections, perhaps placing its potential value at the top of the developmental antibacterial company list.
- With Trius Pharma acquired by Cubist in late 2013, along with the very recent Tetraphase acquisition rumor buzz, Cempra is certain to join the fray if its data release proves.
Identiv's Post-Password Era Solutions Gaining Traction As Company Strengthens Financial Position
- Lately, we have seen many headlines about how large companies are experiencing security breaches that have resulted in sensitive customer information being exposed to theft.
- Breaches included passwords that were hacked, and/or cyber thieves finding security weaknesses in companies' internal networks. Identiv offers best-in-class solutions to combat these types of security breaches.
- In this article, we review the tech and Identiv's recent Q3 earnings, and show why the company is grossly undervalued and has strong upside potential.
Identiv's Q2 Earnings Show Strong Growth - Acquisition Likely At Some Point
- Late last year, Identiv brought in an entirely new senior management team to turn company around.
- In Q4 2013 and Q1 2014, the company's new management took steps to reorganize its business structure.
- Identiv's growth strategy is to partner with multiple large companies to unlock shareholder value. After listening to earnings call, I believe company will be acquired at some point in time.
- Company Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Jason Hart believes the company to be worth $400M now, but has not realized this valuation because of missteps by prior management.
Identiv: An Internet Of Things Small-Cap Pick For Consideration
- The “Internet of things” is forecast to become a $7 to $10 trillion market by 2020. Also know as “IoT,” these three letters excite those in the tech field.
- The riskiest, yet most rewarding investments in the market are small-cap companies with the potential to become much larger caps in time.
- Microsoft, Apple and others started out as small-cap companies and became true investments which took many years for those who were vested to realize the large gains.
- We believe we have found at least one company we feel will be a long-term winner because first and foremost it has new top-notch management captaining the ship.
Edelman's Perceptive Advisors Buying Amicus Therapeutics Ahead Of Phase III Data Release
- One of the strongest investing strategies in the biotech sector is to follow what successful biotech funds are buying in large quantities.
- Last year, we detailed some companies that a successful fund, the Baker Brothers LLC, bought. Many of their investments have been profitable to date.
- In this write up, we focus on another successful fund, Perceptive Advisors, led by well-known investor Joseph Edelman.
Halozyme Attracting Attention With Upcoming Adcom And Potential Blockbuster Pancreatic Cancer Treatment
- Halozyme and Baxter Pharma have a Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Advisory Committee (adcom) meeting coming up on July 31.
- The adcom will give guidance on whether Halozyme's Biologics License Application (BLA) for its Human Immune Globulin Infusion 10% with Recombinant Human Hyaluronidase (HyQvia) is acceptable in its new amended form.
- We believe the chance is about 80% for a positive adcom outcome.
- Additionally, Halozyme's proprietary PEGPH20 if ultimately FDA approved in time, would be a blockbuster treatment for Pancreatic Cancer, an open and large unmet need.
AcelRx Should Trend Higher As FDA Approval Is Likely At End Of This Month
- AcelRx develops Zalviso to treat acute and breakthrough pain.
- We believe there is a 90% chance the company receives FDA approval on July 27.
- Zalviso has several advantages over intravenous delivery methods.
- Obamacare and favorable product pricing should benefit the company in the long term.
Activist Investor David Callan Has Been Accumulating Identiv Stock, Here's Why
- These days we hear about shareholder activism almost daily. It is next to impossible to watch CNBC and not hear discussions about some form of activism.
- Watch Carl Icahn, Dan Loeb, Bill Ackman, George Soros or any of other familiar names that have become famous for challenging public companies and board members.
- On a much smaller scale and using his own private funds, David Callan has been no exception to that group.
- He has been successful as an activist in his last four public campaigns to explore strategic alternatives including the sale of the companies.
- For a refreshing change, Callan is on the other side of the table as an investor in a company he feels will yield large returns over time.
Volcano Corp. Is Likely To Be Acquired Soon - Here Is Why
- In the area of acquisitions, we've had a solid history of very accurate behavior-based predictions.
- Although many companies do an excellent job of hiding the progress of a potential acquisition, some clues can still give observant investors an indication that an acquisition is close.
- However, it can be difficult to make accurate conclusions in that company officers are obligated to keep quiet about these details to obviously avoid insider trading and other SEC violations.
- We believe we have identified one such company we believe is close to be acquired.
The IBB Likely To Move Higher Along With These Biotechs With Catalysts Upcoming
- Today, we list five bio pharmaceutical companies with upcoming catalysts. Typically, under normal market conditions, their stocks normally see strong price appreciation.
- Just because a biotech has an upcoming catalyst event, it does not mean the event will have a positive result.
- Hedging stock share trades via the option chain by buying puts is one way we protect against downside, should we decide to hold through a catalyst event.
- Also, we take a look at the iShares Nasdaq Biotechnology ETF index technical chart, which is a very important benchmark that tracks the broader-based Nasdaq biotech sector.
- Finally, we will go over some macro factors that demonstrate why we believe that U.S. markets will head higher along with biotech for the remainder of the year.
Progenics Pharma Poised For A Potential Price Increase Ahead Of June 11 Adcom
- Progenics is expecting a Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Advisory Committee meeting on June 11-12 to decide whether or not to recommend a Supplemental New Drug Application (sNDA).
- The Relistor sNDA is for a subcutaneous Injection for opioid-induced constipation, or OIC, in patients with chronic pain.
- If the sNDA is approved by the FDA, Progenics will receive an upfront payment of $50M, along with up to $200M in milestone payments thereafter.
Orexigen's Weight Loss Drug Will Be Approved Soon And Will Lead Market - Here Is Why
- Coming up on June 10th, 2014, Orexigen Therapeutics expects a Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for it’s weight loss drug NB32 (Contrave).
- Contrave was initially rejected by the FDA due to a single issue cardiovascular safety concern and requested the company engage a study to provide data to address the concern.
- Orexigen's "Light Study" Interim analysis was successfully completed on 8900 patients and showed Contrave did not increase the risk of major adverse cardiovascular events (MACE).
- Due to both the FDA Special Protocol Assessment (SPA) designation and meeting interim requirements for the Light Study, it's virtually certain that Contrave will win FDA approval on June 10th.
- Because Contrave has safety data that other weight loss drugs do not have, notwithstanding excellent efficacy, we believe it will be the drug of choice prescribed by doctors for patients.
Cytokinetics Binary Failure Provides Solid Buying Opportunity
- Small Cap Developmental Biotechs experience on a regular basis what traders call "binary events," which include Phase clinical data releases, Advisory Committee (ADCOM) recommendations, FDA approval decisions, and more.
- When a company experiences a negative binary event, its stock price normally plummets, and often times gets oversold because investors and traders overreact.
- We believe we have identified one such small cap biotech we think should make a nice rebound now and in the future.
Pozen Is Overvalued, More So Now After Recent FDA Rejection - Here Is Why
- On Friday, April 25th, Pozen received a Complete Response Letter (CRL) from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA)..
- In a press release, The company cited a manufacturing issue at a 3rd party plant which caused the FDA rejection..
- In the company PR, it stated that it did not have enough time to address the FDA issues, yet the company had over a year to get it right..
High-Risk Small Cap Biotech Keryx Pharma Has Become Overvalued
- Although we generally look for long plays in the biotechnology sector, certain macroeconomic factors can force us and other investors to look for short ideas.
- Currently, it’s growing more apparent that money has been shifting, moving out of the pharmaceutical arena.
- This observation is made obvious by the trend in the $IBB, an exchange traded fund tracking the performance of Nasdaq Biotechnology stocks, which we show below.
Following The Smart Money: The Small Cap Biotech Investments Of Randal J. Kirk
- One of the most tried and true forms of picking the right kind of developmental biotech investment is following those who have success in investing in them.
- The most successful small cap biotech investors understand that those with a top track record of success tend to repeat this same pattern of success over and over.
- Randal J. Kirk has a solid record of successful investments in developmental biotech companies. Today, we will look at some of his current investments, and offer commentary on them.
3 Small Cap Biotechs With Near-Term Catalysts
- Today, we are going to look at 3 companies with near-term binary catalyst events approaching that could have a positive effect on their collective stock prices.
- Examples of these binary catalyst events include, but are not limited to, Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approval decisions, data releases, and advisory committee recommendations (Adcom).
- Small cap stock trading can at times, be very volatile, and is not for everyone. As the rewards can be very high, the risk is also very high.
- Cytokinetics: Small Cap Biotech Investment And Catalyst Trade In Focus
- Synthetic Biologics Under The Radar With Upcoming Multiple Sclerosis Data Catalyst
- Significant Upcoming Catalysts For These Biotechs Should Provide Alpha Opportunity
- Baker Brothers' Holding Cerus Flying Under The Radar With Catalyst Upcoming
- Does Accuray's Recent Unusual Bullish Options Activity Signal A Rally In The Stock Soon?
- Sell Watch: Zeltiq Has Become Over-Speculated
- Biotechs With Near-Term Catalysts That Should Rally
- BioPharma Catalyst And Investment Pick In Focus: Progenics
- Small Cap BioPharmas With Near-Term Catalysts
- BioPharma Catalyst And Investment Pick In Focus: Synergy Pharma