StockRiters

View StockRiters' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Apple May Lose The Smartphone War To Google [View article]
    Why can't it be both? It all depends on your entry and exit point.
    Sep 10, 2012. 08:53 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple May Lose The Smartphone War To Google [View article]
    Here's another great, very well written article that will give you a good angle on AAPL. http://seekingalpha.co...
    Apple has been a boon for many investors; but its probably time to think of exiting the gamble.
    Sep 9, 2012. 12:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple May Lose The Smartphone War To Google [View article]
    Asa, I apologize; I was talking about the MacBook Pro, not the cheaper iMacs or MacBook Airs. I didn't think of the latter two simply because I wouldn't use either of them - one is bulky, the other is not something I can use for heavy graphics work - again, so far as I know. The MacBook Pro is the one I would buy, and thats over $3000 in many countries.
    I don't think this has any fundamental effect on my thesis, though. They are all still very costly, and you are tied in to their environment.
    Sep 9, 2012. 03:37 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple May Lose The Smartphone War To Google [View article]
    If you know anything about markets in Asia, Latin America and Africa, not to say quite a few European countries where Apple doesn't have tie ups with mobile providers, you will find out that my facts are all correct. My article was focusing on global figures, not just American figures. The cheapest Mac does cost around $3000 in many countries, and the cheapest unlocked iphone around $500, and the cheapest ipad without 3G+16GB costs roughly $400.
    Sep 9, 2012. 01:30 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple May Lose The Smartphone War To Google [View article]
    @TomasViewPoint "The game for Google is volume. The game for Apple is margin. "

That is exactly what I am saying and what many comments here seem not to grasp.

Google is playing a sly game. It has no interest in smartphone margin, it just wants to grab volume (which it has) to be able to use Android as a platform to sell mobile based ads.

Since mobile computing/internet is the future of computing/internet - as some people have pointed out here - I think Google's gameplan is very intelligent. I love how a profit-making business will give away an OS for free. It must have cost them millions to make it. Just like gmail and other stuff we use for free - and help google make billions through ad sales. Smart!

This thought led me to write this article. I found Google's intelligent plan humorous, ironic, smart. Thats it. I am not an Apple hater, I love Apple products and use them myself.
    Sep 8, 2012. 12:00 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple May Lose The Smartphone War To Google [View article]
    Please research non-US markets, especially in Asia. These are big markets, and Apple does not always have low cost tie ups with mobile providers. In these markets, iphone/ipad is invariably the costliest option.
    Sep 7, 2012. 01:26 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple May Lose The Smartphone War To Google [View article]
    The main flaw I find with my ipad is that its files are tied to its apps, so unless I have that app on my windows, or a compatible app, I cannot even view the file. Windows files are tied to projects, not apps. That is a much simpler solution to a long term windows user like me, and millions of others. My Samsung Tab, on the other hand, works just like a simple USB device - so much simpler, so effortless to work with.
    File transfer gives me ridiculous problems, especially on the go, or where I don't have broadband. I know for a fact it is much easier to do that with a Mac than a Windows.
    There are other hardware-dependency issues; I don't know enough to write more as of now; but my main thesis stands, because compatibility isn't Apple's principal marketing problem. Exclusivity and a narrower business plan compared to Google - those are its main problems.
    Sep 7, 2012. 12:41 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple May Lose The Smartphone War To Google [View article]
    Thanks, yes, "commoditize", thats one word I should have used. That is exactly what Android is doing. Just like Microsoft did before. I am not saying Android is better- no, I am not saying that at all. All I am saying is that Apple's exclusive policy (especially outside the US where it doesn't have as many tie ups with mobile telephony providers) has made it less popular than Android. Eventually, that will make Apple a luxury item only a few can afford, because, if its market share goes down, it may have to price it up to maintain margins.
    Sep 7, 2012. 12:01 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple May Lose The Smartphone War To Google [View article]
    1. As to your first point, my view is that Google has a broader business plan than Apple. Google is simply using the smartphone market as a platform for revenue generation. I have no doubt that Apple users find it a better device than Android ones. However, show me an Apple iphone/ipad you can buy for less than $100. I can show you 10 such Android devices, cheap, workable - not the best, but efficient.

2. One of your issues is a matter of opinion (a personal computer is no longer needed) so I am not addressing it. As for costs being at par, no they are not. http://bit.ly/NQzjLp is an example I found online. Workable, even if not an Apple.

3. Your third point actually bears out my whole idea. Apple is the Mercedes, not the Ford, of the smartphone market. If you ignore revenues in EU (where Mercedes is used like a cab) and revenue from bus and other vehicles, you really can't compare Merc revenues with a Toyota or a Ford's revenue. It is, at the end, a volume game - and this is the game Android is planning to win.
    Sep 7, 2012. 11:29 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple May Lose The Smartphone War To Google [View article]
    Of course I understand that. What I also understand from my POV is that the very fact that you cannot escape Apple, even if you wanted to, is going to ruin it. If you have 50 employees working for you, maybe you can afford all that $$$. But maybe your 50 employees can't really afford that - so they will look out for alternatives. Once a viable alternative appears, they will switch, right? And there's 7 billion not-rich people out there; how many phones can a few rich guys buy?
    Sep 7, 2012. 10:37 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple May Lose The Smartphone War To Google [View article]
    Absolutely, 19lg. Apple is a great buy right now, and will still be a good buy 5 years from now. All I said is that I love Google's smart strategy. Very smart brains at work giving away something for free so they can make billions off of it.
    Sep 7, 2012. 10:33 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple May Lose The Smartphone War To Google [View article]
    It seems to me that those comments which say that Apple is a luxury item, a unique item, a high-end item etc are only proving my point - my point being, that Google's total effort has been to bring the smartphone to the common people. There's a 7 billion strong market out there, and the high price, the hardware-dependence of Apple has made it unable to penetrate that market. Hence, even if, arguably, Apple is the best smartphone there is, it is going to lose the business war, even if it gets brownie points for design and other things. I give it 5 years before it becomes an ultra luxury item that very very rich people pay ugly prices to own. The market, however, will be dominated by Google, IMHO.
    Sep 7, 2012. 10:19 AM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 Large Cap Stocks With High Dividend Yields: General Electric, Verizon, Merck [View article]
    Wrong language; I should have been happy with saying a "good" choice.
    Sep 6, 2012. 12:39 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • QE3 Is Coming, What Should You Buy? [View article]
    The market has probably begun pricing in QE3 since several weeks, if not months. However, its a process and I don't think it will complete itself until QE3 actually happens.
    Sep 4, 2012. 12:18 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Should You Be Buying Mining Companies Like BHP Billiton? [View article]
    yes, Franz, bhp has a lot of +ves long term; its only the short-to-mid term outlook that I have a problem with...:)
    Aug 31, 2012. 10:22 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment