Stocks-Options

View Stocks-Options' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Breaking It Down: Seadrill Limited's 2Q 2014 Earnings Call [View article]
    You can always roll the calls up and out for a credit in January, especially if you didn't cover all your shares. Or, should SDRL remain where it is for a couple of months, the premiums will drop and you can buy them back early.
    Aug 29 07:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • An Outperforming High-Dividend Stock With Multiple, Safe High Yields Over 6% [View article]
    So would I, Left Banker. My retirement account has its limits.
    Aug 25 07:53 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Wisdom -- Since I'm not in preferreds for capital gains, I would need to see a replacement for the one I'm selling that makes for a good switch. Otherwise I'll keep it.

It's a nice problem to have, however.
    Aug 25 07:52 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Good point, Mark Meis. I own preferreds, but the company is not obligated to call them, ever. They will do so only when it's in their best interest. If the preferred is selling below $25, their best interest lies elsewhere.

Unlike a dividend growth stock, these dividends never grow, and feel more like bond interest, without the guarantee of timely payments.

That said, I own several preferreds, and I'm only suggesting they aren't an investment you buy and forget about.
    Aug 24 10:53 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Transocean Is A Great Buying Opportunity In A High-Yielding Stock [View article]
    Most likely it was just noise. There's a lot of that going around. Volume was average. Sometimes the stock will drop for no apparent reason, too.
    Aug 18 08:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Great article. The deep-water drillers just don't get any respect. I'm into Seadrill, but your analysis applies to all the drillers.

The oceans are where most of the oil is. The companys that can get it out will do well, and the management of both RIG and SDRL are committed to keeping the dividends.
    Aug 17 11:09 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Seadrill's West Saturn Contract Promises To Deliver Forward Growth [View article]
    Thanks, Power Hedge for the number crunching. It's onward and upward for this driller.
    Aug 13 01:09 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Reorganization Of Nuveen Equity CEFs: Good Or Bad For Shareholders? [View article]
    Thanks for the detail, Left Banker. Your earlier article was where I learned of the conversion.

The drop from premium to discount in QQQX makes the bonus from the deeper discount of JLA less attractive and may partly explain the mediocre performance of JLA since the start of May. I"m holding JLA for now but the distribution will drop, and I don't like the change in strategy, so I'll sell as soon as JLA pays its last dividend, which could be around September 11.
    Aug 13 12:59 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Will The High Premiums For The PIMCO High Income Fund Continue To Erode? [View article]
    I like to look under the hood.
    Aug 9 04:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    It's not bad or good, Albert. It's just that some of us don't have confidence it will go back up, because management needs to sustain an 18 percent return, the cost of borrowing will be rising in the next 12-18 months, and no team, it seems to me, can continue to be that successful. I think the odds are against it.

But I hope it works out for you.
    Aug 9 04:25 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    So huck2u, you are confident that management can continue to return 18 percent so you can make 12 percent. I don't share that confidence, even though management has been successful for many years. No one can make that much year after year without taking a large risk. (I would say excessive risk, but that's just me.)

You think they're THAT good. Maybe they are, but I'm not going to bet on it.
    Aug 9 04:13 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Re-Evaluating My SeaDrill Limited Holdings [View article]
    Thanks for that. I didn't know about it. Here is the link:

Aug 1 04:19 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Re-Evaluating My SeaDrill Limited Holdings [View article]
    Also on point number 1, all holders of this bond knew or should have known what the call provisions were. It's not uncommon for bonds to be callable under certain conditions; the terms of any bond should be read before purchase, or at least disclosed by the broker who "sold" the bonds.

Long SDRL
    Jul 30 02:16 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Update: Seadrill Bond Conversion A Done Deal; Little Guys Might Not Benefit [View article]
    They seem to value the lives of fish above the lives of humans. That idea will tie many of their positions together.

Windmills and solar energy won't add much to our energy production.
    Jul 26 10:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Avoid Seadrill Despite Wise Backtracking [View article]
    If I say you're brilliant, I'm not implying other people are dumb.

(But don't look for me to say that anytime soon.)
    Jul 25 06:38 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment