Stocks-Options

View Stocks-Options' Comments BY TICKER:
  • What Is Seadrill's Real Exposure To Petrobras' New 5 Year Spending Cut? [View article]
    The "slaughtered" can go somewhere else if venting is their preference. SA is better off as a forum for what the future holds for SDRL and how long it will take to get there.

Reasons and informed opinion help more than anything else. Itzik's question of "How did I put myself at this company?" was obviously not looking for an answer (and so the venting), but we might benefit from taking the question at face value and attempting an answer. Then we can decide whether it's beneficial for us to stay.

In my case, I'm hanging around.
    Jun 30, 2015. 05:41 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Seadrill Ltd.: Whatever Happened To Patience? [View article]
    No one knows how long it will take to make that up. (You're sarcasm seems clear to me.) It's also possible it will NEVER be made up.

However, there are other scenarios that could propel the stock up to previous levels or at least to much higher than it is now. I think that's more likely, so I'm still long. Oil must rise for this to come about.

If I distrusted management, I'd have left long ago. I've done it before in two other stocks that didn't depend on the price of oil.

Would I have bought SDRL had I known what would happen to oil and to the drillers? That's a nonsensical question. What will happen in the future is a better question. The stock is risky but I'm still in.
    Jun 22, 2015. 01:10 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Seadrill Ltd.: Whatever Happened To Patience? [View article]
    Good article Achilles. Right now, a lot of investors fear Seadrill won’t make it. All the news is bad, oil is stuck in a low range, and the debt is high.

If even one decent new contract is signed, or a current contract renewed, even at a lower price, this good news will have a dramatic effect. So I’m in for the long haul.
    Jun 19, 2015. 03:10 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Seadrill: Reiterate My Bearish View After Results [View article]
    Seadrill is in a good position to push back deliveries and refinance debt. Since the outlook is bleak for new contracts, if SDRL should even obtain ONE at a rate high enough to cover both fixed and variable costs, investors would be encouraged. The stock would rise.

A risky bet, but I'm taking it. I'm a loser here so far, but not a sore loser
    Jun 2, 2015. 11:17 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Equity CEFs: Funds Benefiting From The Weakness In Technology And Small Cap Sectors [View article]
    From the December 2014 Annual Report, there are no option positions in any 2x ETF's such as the ProShares Ultra QQQ or the ProShares Ultra S&P 500.

The discount to NAV has narrowed sharply to about 6 percent. This is quite helpful because in the last year the NAV has decreased about 3 percent and the market value has risen about the same amount.

In 2014, all of the distribution was classified as long term capital gain -- rather odd for a fund of this type. The year before, 60 percent was a Return of Capital. At least it wasn't ordinary dividend income.

I'm still in, but it needs to hold at this level -- 19.09 as of 4/17/15 -- or I'll reconsider and perhaps buy a different option income fund.
    Apr 18, 2015. 12:44 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Seadrill: Why Not To Worry About The BP Contract Termination [View article]
    Sixshot I think you've got it backwards. The attackers and bashers are mostly on the negative side. The positive side is mostly rational. Feel free to disagree -- that's not an attack, but phrases like "oddest bunch" and "keep pumping" are pejorative terms.
    Apr 2, 2015. 12:11 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Seadrill And Seadrill Partners: BP Is Terminating The Firm Contract With The West Sirius In GOM [View article]
    Lots of women with "large bosoms" have faithful husbands who don't "lose their head". This is a risky stock (and my metaphor stops here), but oil won't remain this low indefinitely. And Seadrill will last in the meantime.

I don't think $5 is in the cards, but that's just an educated guess. At least if you short it you won't have a dividend to pay.
    Mar 31, 2015. 12:47 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Stick to what you're confident in. If you've never traded options, I wouldn't sell them the first time out (and personally I hardly ever buy them as a single trade).
    Mar 31, 2015. 12:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Depressed prices and depressing outlook short term. I choose to hang in there based on good long term prospects. I can understand selling now and buying back later, but I'm not good at market timing (is anyone?).

I think JF is on our side and that he is good at riding through this. Some don't agree, but I'm not selling.
    Mar 30, 2015. 11:19 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Seadrill Unlikely To Default On Debt [View article]
    I like the suggestion, too, and I'm long SDRL. But as far as "good lawyers" go, the other creditors have good lawyers, too.

So it doesn't come down to the lawyers, but to the parties themselves and the willingness to negotiate. And I think most of them are, which creates pressure on the ones remaining to do the same. Like Njbother said, "All contracts are subject to renegotiation."
    Mar 22, 2015. 11:22 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • One Reason Investors Should Not Buy Seadrill's Stock [View article]
    Can SDRL buy back their debt in the secondary market and then retire it. This sounds too good to be true.
    Feb 28, 2015. 06:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • One Reason Investors Should Not Buy Seadrill's Stock [View article]
    The buyback authority just keeps an option open -- one they shouldn't take right now. Cash, and the ability to raise more of it to roll over debt is the priority.
    Feb 28, 2015. 05:59 PM | 10 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Seadrill: Positioned To Benefit From Rebalancing [View article]
    Shipyards have long-term horizons. They'll take some pain now to keep the relationship going. This says nothing about the actual terms of the delay, but something will be done.
    Feb 28, 2015. 05:33 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Seadrill Even Leads Sector In Capital Distribution Plans [View article]
    "Quite a shame considering the position they are in as a company."

The position they are in is better now because of the actions they took. Mr Reitman is right -- it's worth the risk.

Long SDRL
    Feb 21, 2015. 03:37 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Seadrill: Bad News From Brazil [View article]
    If the figure of a $1.1 billion write-down is based on a contract rate of $500,000, then a revised deal at $400,000 would reverse a larger part of the write down than Casey assumed.

In other words, it would be good news.
    Feb 18, 2015. 02:36 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment