Stocks-Options

View Stocks-Options' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Seadrill: Now An Attractive 11% Yielder [View article]
    I think it will be less than a year, but whenever it is, the resolution will be more deepwater contracts and jackup contracts for Seadrill.

You write that you're not talking about Bret, but his analysis disagrees with yours and with the so called professional experts.
    Apr 18 11:29 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Game Of Yields: 8% With Safety [View article]
    These preferreds are a good way to go for the yield, but keep in mind they are not tax-advantaged -- REITS never are -- so they will earn more in a retirement account. That's where I have the several that I own, including CYS-B.
    Apr 14 08:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Seadrill Part 2: New Jackup Contracts Promise Revenue Growth And Improve Forward Earnings Visibility [View article]
    We here on this thread prefer to dig deep over riding horizontal.

SDRL is well positioned for the last part of this year and beyond -- maybe sooner even.
    Apr 14 08:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    For those Japanese pearl diver girls to dive that deep, they must have great chests.
    Apr 12 05:01 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Seadrill gets an upgrade at Societe Generale but still disliked [View news story]
    You only lost if you sold, which implies you felt it was a mistake to continue with the company.

I think the future is promising. Don't you? If you don't like the business model, you must have had some other reason for investing in the company.
    Apr 9 04:22 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    They might be hedging. Maybe. I'm just not sure. If only I could be certain.
    Oh, well.
    Apr 9 04:08 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Seadrill: Now An Attractive 11% Yielder [View article]
    It's pixie dust, DividendInvestor, not coffee grounds. Pixie dust lets you believe whatever you want.
    Apr 9 12:34 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Equity CEFs: 1st Quarter 2014 Review - A Change In Leadership [View article]
    That sounds right but I would check with a tax expert to see if deferred capital gains taxes get a step-up in basis.

In the Master Limited Partnership arena, the deferred amounts are recaptured as ordinary income. There is an issue about whether the deferral goes along with the inheritance and would have to be recaptured upon sale. Contributor Reel Ken has covered the subject extensively. As I recall, the area is murky at best.

I recently sold my MLP's because of the tax complexity and the ordinary income recapture. The buy-write funds, on the other hand, throw off a capital gains deferral, which is entirely different. If you're in the 15 percent tax bracket, after subtracting all your deductions and exemptions, there is no tax at all under current law.
    Apr 6 12:42 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The CEF Industry's Managed Distribution Policies May Lead To The Exploitation Of Investors [View article]
    Some of the buy write funds trade at significant discounts to their NAV, yet have good ROC, as demonstrated by the performance of their NAV relative to the S&P 500. There is not a rational explanation for this, in my opinion.
    Apr 6 01:28 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Seadrill: Now An Attractive 11% Yielder [View article]
    Next time, see if the profit on selling the option is greater than the dividend. If so, then use the proceeds to buy the stock.
    Apr 4 12:03 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Seadrill: Now An Attractive 11% Yielder [View article]
    Well, JFK died awhile back.

But JF LIVES!
    Apr 3 11:56 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Seadrill: Now An Attractive 11% Yielder [View article]
    I own the stock and I also take and take.

And I'm loving it (so to speak).
    Apr 3 11:53 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Seadrill: Now An Attractive 11% Yielder [View article]
    Moatfrog,

I have heard many lucid arguments to the contrary, I firmly believe YOU ARE INCORECT, IT IS not TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE. (emphasize NOT).
    Apr 3 11:51 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Seadrill: An Attractive 10% Yielder [View article]
    Thanks, Bret, for the April 2nd update.
    Apr 3 11:40 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Equity CEFs: 1st Quarter 2014 Review - A Change In Leadership [View article]
    You're darn right that regular accounts are better for option-strategy funds. In an IRA you're wasting the ROC.

As for allocation of ROC, the 1099 from your broker will break it down. For Eaton Vance, it issues press releases each month showing the monthly and cumulative breakdown for each fund. Just go to

Apr 3 11:36 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment