Suresh Gupta

View Suresh Gupta's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Here's What Happened The Last Time The Fed Owned All Outstanding Treasuries [View article]
    Geoffster -

The US wasn't exactly on the gold standard during WWII. It was on an international gold exchange standard with foreign central banks and would only redeem gold to them. Owning gold in the US was illegal. The US was on the Bretton Woods system by then, which was similar to the Gold Exchange standard of the 1920's centered on London. Gold was still a slight check to inflation back then. Now, it isn't, which changes the whole game.
    Apr 7, 2013. 04:08 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Yellen Fed: Invest With The Flow [View article]
    "I believe that she will "taper" the Fed's current bond purchasing program in a systematic and steady manner. And, she will explain in that way. As far as investment within this environment is concerned, one must work with the fact that the Fed will err on the side of creating more credit than needed."

Mr. Mason - respectfully, these sentences are mutually contradictory. One cannot "taper" and at the same time err on the side of creating more credit. The two things are mutually exclusive.

Yellen will increase the monetary base even faster than Greenspan and Bernanke did. Volcker was the only one to shrink it. When all is said and done, either one expands the money supply, or one shrinks it. Yellen will expand it. And the result will be stagflation.
    Oct 13, 2013. 04:55 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Now Is The Time To Be Fearful [View article]
    The alternative to socialism is to get government out of healthcare. No incentivizing employers to cover insurance, no medicare, no medicaid, no obamacare, just market competition and nothing else. That's the only solution.
    Oct 13, 2013. 04:48 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Upcoming Data For Athersys Crucial, But Not In Terms Of Immediate Share Price [View article]
    I am not a mind reader. I am a comment reader. Before I even thought about writing this article, I took a look at the sentiment on the stock as roughly measured by SA commenters. As this is an open forum and very highly trafficked, I find it is a good approximation of sentiment. ATHX commenters tend to be very emotional and claim inside knowledge often, and comments come in droves whenever something is published on the company - pats on the back if positive, very caustic attacks if negative. This tells me what most people who hold the stock believe.

Most people believe that the stock will jump in response to the results, which most believe will be clearly and unambiguously positive. I am not convinced.
    Apr 7, 2014. 02:31 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Fibonacci -

It sounds like you know all the results already before any are published. Good job.

Suresh
    Apr 7, 2014. 02:23 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    It's a shame so far. I wasn't expecting a fail, but I think investors are overreacting. Let's see what happens at 16 weeks and the full data. Does anyone know if there is data available on the highest dose cohort yet? From what I read it is unclear.
    Apr 28, 2014. 08:32 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    I think 'most' think the price will jump higher on the release of the data and sustain a new range. I can't tell you how high other people think it will go, but that doesn't matter. My assumption is that they think the jump higher, however high that jump will be, will be sustained.

If results are obviously spectacular, a new trading range will be established. But I am not expecting obviously spectacular results. I'm expecting something guardedly positive, at which point I do think the stock will jump up, but then a few days later come back down to around where it is now.

I'd rather not get caught in a short term jump because it's hard to time, and I don't trade these kinds of stocks. I'm waiting for the big sustained move, which again, I think will come with confirmatory data around July-October.

When exactly, I do not know.
    Apr 10, 2014. 09:37 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    I've read that other article by Louis, and I'm really not sure why people are comparing me with that hatchet job. That was a clearly negative piece, whereas I am overall optimistic about the company and am considering taking a long position in June. I just happen to think that the big sustained move will happen then, and am holding off for the next two months, following my own advice.

Let me clarify - I DO believe the upcoming results will move the stock and there will be a sharp increase in trading volume that day and possibly 2 or 3 days afterward. I do NOT believe that the move will be sustained beyond that very short term wiggle that is bound to happen. If it shoots up, it will shoot back down. If it drops down, it will head back up to around the current range.

The sustained move in my humble opinion, will only happen around July/October. And I believe, like many of you, that it will be up.

For now, though, I am waiting. I hope that clarifies things.
    Apr 8, 2014. 09:18 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    It's not my chart. It's a screen shot from Athersys's website. They should update it, I agree.
    Apr 7, 2014. 02:26 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    As I replied to Fibonacci above, if you know that MAPC's take effect in humans right away, then you are privy to knowledge nobody else on Earth is. I applaud your ability in that case.

Suresh
    Apr 7, 2014. 02:25 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Education In China Is A Sure Bet [View article]
    In the USA there are segments that pay enormous amounts of after tax money for both private and parochial education for their children. The fact that some of these institutions take advantage of various governmental programs i.e., books, transportation and meals, does not mean they are subsidized. Those institutions thrive and could survive with out those subsidies.

I disagree with your assessment when it relates to Chinese Education. In China and much of Asia, education is the ticket to a higher status. In China, their one child policy allows middle and upper middle class families to invest in their child. Additionally, western educational programs are perceived as a higher quality education when compared to the public school system. That is why families are lining up to get their children accepted into these programs.

Many of these educational programs are for the most part cash up front businesses and considering China has the largest middle class in history the volume is what is generating the growth in revenues.

Just take a look at the private health care sector in China and you will also see a similar growth pattern. Why? Because the best doctors are available and care is better managed.

As for not trusting the numbers, you may have a point. Considering past auditing fiascos involving another major firm, I doubt very much that Deloitte would risk their stellar reputation for a few dollars.
    Aug 27, 2012. 04:57 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    dwdallam -

Touchet, though in my defence, I did admit that should the data be a failure it would crash. I was expecting a guardedly positive release, which clearly is not what happened.
    May 6, 2014. 03:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Mike -

My expectations are positive in that I believe the phase 2 will succeed ultimately. But I don't think it will effect the stock until somewhere between July and October, which is why I am waiting until then to go long. We'll find out if I'm right then.

Regarding what people are commenting here about the trial is "already a success," I refer you to this gem on SA about Vical's phase 3 for Allovectin, which was billed as "the best phase 3 results ever". The trial failed completely only days later.

I am optimistic, but expectations are too high for me at the moment. I've been through this before.

Apr 8, 2014. 09:05 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Government Money Is Killing Electric Cars: Car Charging Group Vs. Ecotality [View article]
    I get your point. My answer would be no, because most of the capital investment in the network has already been done by Ecotality. CCGI picked it up so cheap that to run it profitably will be very possible.
    Dec 5, 2013. 03:19 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    thanks for the vindication, darkstar. Government funding IS a fundamental issue. Unfortunately, it is also a political one (the only one, actually) but that should not make it taboo for discussion on forums like Seekingalpha
    Dec 3, 2013. 03:09 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment