Surya Yalamanchili

View Surya Yalamanchili's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Shiller Speaks: Here Comes a Commodity Bubble [View article]
    How do you recommend buying farmland? I know some extremely high net-worth folks are actually forming funds to buy it up, but are there any public companies which are doing this or a proxy for it? Are there any ETF's or other funds?
    Mar 23 11:20 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Google: Caveat Emptor [View article]
    During the YouTube acquisition/earnings call, I very clearly recollect Google announcing that they will make future acquisitions with Cash and NOT stock. Saying that YouTube was basically the last mostly stock transaction. This is a contra-indicator to your thesis.
    May 8 10:20 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • P/E Ratio and Future Earnings Make Google a Buy [View article]
    At a 47 PE, you would think the market is expecting them to grow in the 20-25% a year range. I don't think that's an insane number...
    Apr 11 10:09 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I'm Betting on Advanced Micro Devices - For Now [View article]
    Steve, you ask some great questions! I think ATI was the right move for the company-- but Intel brilliantly played it against AMD. Since AMD had to take on a lot of debt as part of the acquisition, it has painted them into this murky financial corner. Your questions are spot on as both of them play into AMD's future-- but honestly, I don't really have a lot of perspective here. I'll continue to do research on it, and if/when I learn more, I'll post an updated column. Thanks for the kind words on the column. Best, surya
    Apr 10 10:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I'm Betting on Advanced Micro Devices - For Now [View article]
    Maven, fair point. But AMD and Intel have gone back and forth. With Barcelona there are predictions that they will once again regain the performance edge. But regardless of the "lead" in performance, most consumers don't track (or notice) the minute complex benchmarks that PC magazines and professionals test. They want a computer that runs well for a great price. So even if AMD only had parity to slightly below parity, I'd bet at a superior-enough price, there would be a lot of home computer shoppers who would be happy to purchase.
    Apr 10 05:31 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I'm Betting on Advanced Micro Devices - For Now [View article]
    Thanks for the comment, maven. I would imagine that if HP acquired AMD, they would shift to (almost) exclusively AMD chips. Given AMD's manufacturing constraints, this would likely take up almost all of their capacity. Net, AMD chips would likely only be available from HP (given that competition wouldn't want to support HP) but this would be the intention in the event of an acquisition. The fact that Intel then wouldn't be engaged in a brutal price war would mean that your competition would be paying a lot more for their processors than you (HP, in your example) are.
    Apr 10 10:36 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Maps: Is Google Pulling a Microsoft? [View article]
    And, if I could add. I'm not at all sure where GOOG lies on the map here. I just wanted to point out the spectrum exists!

(I'm long GOOG, and MSFT (though I give serious consideration to selling MSFT every day).)
    Apr 9 07:30 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Maps: Is Google Pulling a Microsoft? [View article]
    You have a great point.

I would add one clarification.

It's a spectrum, right?

On the far right, you have perceived MSFT-like behavior: let other companies do all the hardwork and once they figure out and it's a viable market, come in and integrate to take all their share based on their work.

On the far left, you have something totally harmless. As you develop the initial product that others will build off of, you have a number of great ideas for more features, etc. But as a team you decide on what's core to get out first, and what you want to work on. Just because someone else built off the API immediately doesn't mean that if you, as the original product developer, come out with that feature later, are stealing from them. This could have been part of the initial feature roll-out plan from the beginning. It's just that to the market, it looks like you're skimming off the best ideas to take as your own. But if it's true that the best ideas are often the most obvious, it's certainly possible they were obviously possible to the original development team at inception as well.

It's all a question of intent to me.

Great post!