Takeover Analyst

View Takeover Analyst's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Philip Morris International: Attractive, Undervalued Growth Stock [View article]
    The "plain packaging" proposal certainly won't be helpful, but the market may likely exaggerate the effects. PM has a substantial market share in Australia, above 15% - it will not lose a great deal of customers from being denied the ability to put a zoomy logo. There is a possibility that customers could just switch to the top brand name (which is PM) versus making a buying decision based on marketing appeal. I see the effects being negative, but minimal.

I don't see the "plain packaging" proposal spreading significantly to other countries, particularly the ones that will be important for PM's growth.
    Sep 16 11:53 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    My turn: I do not believe that PMI will lose market share in Japan. Once they attract a market, loyalty is strong and new entrants will have difficulty changing that.

As for the moral issue... Regulations have been egregious of late--to the point of being, in my opinion, cruel and unusual for tobacco companies. I stand behind PMI and their terrific management. Consumers have a right to make choices. Buying shares in a secondary market also does not effect operating performance.
    Sep 16 10:39 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Netflix To Face An Uphill Battle In Beating Expectations [View article]
    I canceled my subscription to the DVD rentals, but still have the Instant Watch option. Any economics course will tell you that each individual buyer has their own willingness to buy that forms an aggregate demand curve. NFLX is losing customers not only because of that reality, but also because customers feel cheated and were reminded of what a simple Google search could provide.
    Sep 16 06:39 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Netflix To Face An Uphill Battle In Beating Expectations [View article]
    While I think Starz had a nice selection of movies, the price they were asking to charge NFLX for the content was egregious (estimated up to $350 million/ year from $30M a year). To be honest, I think they will end up renewing the contract for a lower cost to NFLX.
    Sep 16 06:36 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The New York Times: Strong, Sustainable Company With Turnaround Potential [View article]
    Lol @ Sanibel and wdjax0n. Believe me, I do not care personally for the newspaper's slant, but so long as you associate them with that slant they will carve out a market. Irony aside, liberalism sells. News Corp has been doing better in attracting a market.
    Sep 16 06:17 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I think investors might be afraid of litigation (which IMO is a non-issue for PMI) and competition abroad. The Euro crisis is assuredly holding the stock price down, but this is attractive for value investors that realize the market is exaggerating the situation while undervaluing the fundamentals.
    Sep 16 06:12 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald's: A Stock I'm Lovin' [View article]
    MCD is a great stock at a great price. I especially think it is a company to own as a "long-term investment" in agreement with deedubs' comment.
    Sep 16 02:33 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Potential Under Armour Buyout Would Be Positive For Nike [View article]
    I made the fix. Thank you!
    Sep 16 02:30 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Textbook Case Of Activism At McGraw-Hill? [View article]
    CORRECTIONS: 1st paragraph - McGraw-Hill Markets expects sales of $4B (earlier wrote $1B).

4th paragraph - The company is REVIEWING its current $1B cost base
    Sep 14 01:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Modest Gains After Volatile Session [View article]
    Woong, I find this strange as well. What do you think is driving these gains? Perhaps it is related to the jobs bill, although I see a lot of flaws in that.
    Sep 13 09:00 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment