Terence Kennelly

View Terence Kennelly's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Pin Down World Wrestling Entertainment Inc. Before It Starts To Run [View article]
    Good article. I've been following WWE for years.
    Nov 6 10:43 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • WWE Earnings Give A Stone Cold Stunner To Wall Street [View article]
    I must say I enjoy all the WWE metaphors in the article -- but overall I wouldn't agree that WWE's earnings stunned anyone on Wall Street. Just look at the stock price.
    Nov 4 05:35 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Danger Awaits Investors in These 3 Trap Stocks [View article]
    WWE has been making terrible movies for years and they still managed to maintain a payout ratio of over 100%. Even if they continue to make terrible movies, they will still be able to afford the lower dividend because their other segments are consistently profitable.
    Aug 17 10:07 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Danger Awaits Investors in These 3 Trap Stocks [View article]
    I think WWE can manage to pay its current dividend for quite some time. Creative accounting allowed them to pay well over 100% of their earnings for years on end without any pushback until the stock plunged in January. If they start making money on movies, at $9 WWE could be a buy.
    Aug 16 11:49 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Jos. A. Bank: Tailored for Long-Term Growth [View article]
    This is a good analysis of JOSB. I almost went long when it was in the mid 40s last month.
    Jul 21 11:08 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Income Ideas: 12 High Dividend Yield Stocks Being Exited by Short Sellers [View article]
    Very informative article. Thanks!
    Jun 10 04:51 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is the New WWE a Viable Engine for Growth? [View article]
    I'd be interested to see market research supporting your claim that WWE has 'a lot' of women as fans. I'm sure WWE has it out there somewhere but they aren't showing it to us on their website.

I specified above that according to WWE and Nielsen Media Research (not me), the vast majority of WWE fans are males between the ages of 18-35 so I'm not sure how UFC's audience as "predomimantly young males" (unless predominantly young means something other 18-35) diverges from WWE's. Correlation between declining WWE PPV buys and increasing UFC PPV buys can't always be attributed to broad macroeconomic factors. There is competition for discretionary dollars from a market segment (18-35) and therefore competition between the two companies, however weak it may be.

I agree with your other sentiments and in terms of publicity, it doesn't matter who has the responsibility or who died because of their own failings. The media will always be the media, and big personalities such as professional wrestlers, unlike sports stars or hollywood actors, will always have that stigma attached to them.
    May 27 01:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Things You Won't Hear on WWE's Friday Conference Call [View article]
    Not to abandon my academic way of writing but would I be going too far if i said that the Rock's hosting of Wrestlemania will allow WWE to "layeth the smacketh down" upon its Q1 earnings? It wouldn't be a stretch to say his hosting would renew some interest among older fans and possibly increase PPV buys?
    Feb 16 11:13 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Things You Won't Hear on WWE's Friday Conference Call [View article]
    There has been a place in the world for professional wrestling for the last 50 years and I don't see that changing. I think WWE is a viable long term option if (its a big "if") they begin aggressively expanding their product offerings and live shows in other countries. The truth is that they only have limited talent and, as we know, wrestlers can't be in two places at once. WWE has had success in China and Latin America and should continue pressing forward in these countries, heck, maybe even create a pay per event for just a particular country? If China is growing and WWE wants to capitalize on it why not have Chinese wrestlers? The question is what will WWE lose domestically if it allocates more to international markets. Is viewership in emerging markets worth more than domestic? Does WWE make more money from international events than from domestic events? All issues that influence where WWE's stock is going.

In regards to UFC, I'm sure it will continue eating into WWE's pay per view buys but I don't see it becoming the leading source of entertainment. UFC is a fragile organization just like WWE was once years ago. One mistake by its owner or by one of its fighters could severely hurt its brand (steroid/legal issues, etc..).

WWE has an established brand and good operating model but has made mistakes in recent years. You add strategic mistakes + bad economy and you get poor results. Inability to retain top talent and top management only exacerbates the problem.

I've been long WWE for years now for the dividend and I've been critical of it recently for its inability to perform. What separates good companies from mediocre ones is the ability to make strategic decisions that benefit all stakeholders. It remains to be seen whether WWE is capable of doing this or not. For the sake of WWE investors I hope they are.
    Feb 9 02:44 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is the January Jobs Report Stronger Than It Appears? [View article]
    Nice article James. Is the increase in 'discouraged workers', a.k.a. workers no longer in the workforce, taken into account when explaining the drop from 9.4 to 9.0%? I heard that people just giving up on the job search may have been partly responsible for the conflicting jobs picture.
    Feb 6 10:51 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • World Wrestling Entertainment's Disappointing Earnings Guidance Is Bad News for Its Dividend [View article]
    I appreciate the comment Evenflow. I am interested in hearing what will happen now that Donna Goldsmith, Chief Operating Officer, is departing the company as of February 28th. I will be posting an analysis following the conference call next week.
    Jan 31 10:21 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I agree with you Steve, the graphic is a bit old (I didn't want to say it for fear of being nit-picky as well) and I also strongly agree with your assertions regarding UFC and WWE. When I was young (which wasn't that long ago) my friends are I were emotionally invested in the product. We went to live shows and discussed programming almost every day at school (Never purchased a PPV though). The emotional element is what is missing. It is still mildly entertaining but lacks the punch that it used to have. For WWE, better creative development in terms of both live and WWE films productions as well as international strategic expansion and talent booking should be priorities going forward. A dividend cut is inevitable...
    Jan 26 02:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • World Wrestling Entertainment Plunges on Earnings Projections: Dividend in Danger? [View article]
    The stock has rebounded nicely in the first hour of trading on heavy volume. Maybe some institutions are bargain hunting? If I wasn't already long and had money on the sidelines, I would think about it.
    Jan 24 10:12 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I agree as well that now would be a good entry point if you believe in the sustainability of their current business model and think the dividend won't be cut. I honestly don't think it will be cut this quarter or next quarter but I feel that given its payout ratio and weak performance that will be announced in a couple weeks (.08 vs .16?, 50% less than expected?) it is certainly something that could be on the table. With the McMahons large block of shares and power to control dividends (they currently only take 24 cents a share vs. 36 cents a share for normal shareholders) I think this ultimately could come down to whether or not they are willing to cut their own dividend again. One of the main things propping up this stock right now is its dividend. Without it, this stock is in the single digits... Thoughts?
    Jan 24 09:15 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment