The Angry Bear

• It's Not Structural Unemployment, It's the Corporate Savings Glut [View article]
    Aha...the crowding out silliness without numbers attached argument.
    Mar 27 11:02 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Nailing the Ratings Agencies [View article]
    Oh sorry...no banking clients here. No drive bys either. Come by the website.
    Sep 30 07:15 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • CBO Data on Taxes and Income: Why I Oppose Republican Policies [View article]
    Ah well...then respond to the data.
    Jul 22 01:49 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • CBO Data on Taxes and Income: Why I Oppose Republican Policies [View article]
    Shootpar,
    So do I! But then I don't have to be self-righteous. And I agree with Linda Beale....the faery tales about a lower quintile are comforting to some. Too bad your reality needs buttressing with the faery tales.
    Jul 20 09:01 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • CBO Data on Taxes and Income: Why I Oppose Republican Policies [View article]
    Tony...I can't follow your logic here. I believe John Kyl and Mitch McConnel reaffirmed their beliefs on the matter.

Both parties might be bought, but I fail to understand why you consider the Dems to be the offending party...is that because they are 'in power' currently, or what.
    Jul 19 12:52 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • CBO Data on Taxes and Income: Why I Oppose Republican Policies [View article]
    Rdan here...thanks salcedore. I was hoping Seeking Alpha commenters would use data to debate a point. I sure hope they use some data in their jobs!
    Jul 19 09:14 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Less Obvious Consequences of the Massachusetts Election [View article]
    Hi Bruce.

I notice in comments that the definitions of 'same old, same old' vary as widely as the issues themselves.

It is hard to show dissatisfaction with either 'party line' without getting ambushed from either end of the political spectrum.

Fed policy is a murky arena for most people. Geithner is considered a Marxist says a commenter?? Well, we need the change from the economic team currently in place I believe.

I do agree health care needs a change, but that the current result in the Senate presents a murky mix of insurance changes. It is rare to see what health care costs will be if nothing is done except at the Kaiser foundation....standing still gets us what? Kudos.

Appreciate your mix of ideas....it can be a hard path to follow.

What the voters in MA are saying in particular is a tough call. What the ramifications for political power and message will be morphed, I think, into something as confusing as morphing Jack K into Scott B. What a world. I am glad my phone quit ringing with calls from both sides to vote.
    Jan 20 09:25 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • And Bernanke Didn't Think Unemployment Would Reach 10% [View article]
    I am afraid your interpretations come up short, Mike. As a political shout out it is okay, but using Jan and Feb quotes isn't useful...please avoid using simple rhetoric and add thought to the piece.
    Nov 8 08:18 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Next Major Crisis Brewing [View article]
    Boy does this guy not understand what is happening.

The greatest untold or underreported story around
    is that the great recession has massively reduced
    US dependence on foreign capital. The combination
    of massive increases in corporate cash flow and
    improved consumer savings has massively increased the supply
    of savings and cut private borrowing ,

As always happens in a recession the increase in
    federal borrowing is more than offset by the drop in
    private borrowing.

That is why, as the WSJ editorial page loved to point
    out for years the correlation between govt debt and
    interest rates is negative.

Moreover, this has to show up in a sharp contraction of
    the US trade and current account deficit and a comparable
    plunge in US borrowing abroad.

The question is how much of this is cyclical and how
    much is secular. But even if it is just cyclical, it
    will be some time before US dependence on foreign
    capital rebounds significantly.

90% of what you hear about the weak dollar is pure
    bullshit by people who have no idea what they are
    talking about as this article demonstrates.

Note that the chinese yuan abainst the dollar
    has been rock solid and the trade weighted yuan had
    fallen, increasing chinese competitivness against
    Japan and Europe.
    Oct 2 07:36 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Rebounding Despite GDP Contraction [View article]
    I don't get it....no data???
    Mar 1 07:03 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ghost Malls: Coming to Your Town [View article]
    Jim,

While the discussion here is okay, could you write another post putting our troubles in the context of global trade and our trade deficit. I fear that only a national point of view underestimates our problems.

And then cross-post? Stormy and Movie Guy have clear understandings of the global nature of economies.
    Jan 25 08:06 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment