The Dividend Pig

View The Dividend Pig's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Yum! Brands: Good Dividend Growth, But With a Side Helping of Debt [View article]
    @RDI - First off, I love that you involved John Burr Williams in your answer.

Second, I have a question. In your last paragraph you speak of fair valuation based on dividend growth. What is your formula for this valuation?
    Mar 24 03:24 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 10 Challengers in the Dividend Sweet Spot [View article]
    thanks for the update David! Always great to hear about another dividend increase.
    Mar 15 08:55 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 10 Challengers in the Dividend Sweet Spot [View article]
    It's definitely possible, but very difficult. That's why I've shifted some focus onto the Challengers. I'd love to catch a company in year 5-10 of a 25+ year streak.
    Mar 14 02:59 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 10 Challengers in the Dividend Sweet Spot [View article]
    I picked up INTC when it was trading between $18-19, and I think that's a great entry point.
    Mar 14 02:58 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • This Micro Cap Dividend Play Deserves a Spot on Your Watch List [View article]
    I really cannot believe the number of responses to Cold Stone here. I've never owned a franchise, but I always thought the whole idea was that you were buying a "proven" business model, and the help of those who have been successful with it before.

It truly saddens me that this company has done such awful things to it's franchisee's. Bankruptcy, divorce, the list goes on. I personally vow to never again set foot in a Cold Stone.
    Mar 5 05:37 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Wow...I had no idea that Cold Stone Creamery was such a terrible business! I hope that those of you that invested or franchised with them can recover from the financial mess they put you in.

This is what's great about seeking alpha. I love how much it opens up dialogue and allows us to seek input and advice from others. I thank you all for the feedback.
    Mar 2 11:05 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 Dividend-Paying For-Profit College Stocks [View article]
    I suggest you do your research nwacklm. According to their 3rd quarter earnings report, released Nov.3, 2010,

"Lincoln is pleased to announce that our Board of Directors has authorized an annual cash dividend of $1.00 per share to be paid at $0.25 per share per quarter, reflecting the Board's confidence in the Company's financial strength and cash generation capabilities of our business. The first dividend will be payable on December 31, 2010, to shareholders of record on December 15, 2010. Lincoln anticipates paying a cash dividend in each quarter of 2011"

Here is the earnings report investors.lincolneduca...=
    Feb 28 08:54 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Home Depot Promises Yearly Dividend Increases and Targets 40% Payout Ratio [View article]
    tweedn - I agree with you that LOW is currently a better buy. I think HD may have jumped the gun a bit on this declaration, as it takes more than 1 good year to maintain a strong dividend growth rate. Just ask some of the aristocrats who have been at it for almost half a decade...it's a marathon, not a sprint.
    Feb 23 08:04 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Looking to Replace Bonds? My List of 20 Dividend 'Over' Achievers [View article]
    @ alphaman991 - I would think as the "successful" hedge fund manager you are, you would understand that any article highlighting certain securities is just that - an emphasis on certain underlying fundamentals. This list is not a recommendation to buy any of these, it is merely a compilation of the highest yielding dividend achievers. I've read your many comments, and if you have so much hostility towards others writing, maybe you should post your own articles?
    Feb 23 07:59 AM | 10 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    @ notbob - you raise a great point. Just because a company has a high yield does NOT mean that the dividend is safe, or the company is in good financial health. According to VGR's 2009 10-k, they paid out an annual dividend of $1.54 on diluted eps of $0.34. As recently as third quarter 2010, they paid out a $0.40 dividend on only $0.14 diluted eps, which is a 285% payout ratio. They also have debt levels through the roof...this is a great example of why due diligence is necessary before purchasing any stock, no matter how high a yield or low a p/e.
    Feb 22 09:13 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    According to the terms of the agreement, PGN shareholders will receive 2.6125 shares of DUK common stock for each share of PGN they hold.
    Feb 22 04:18 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Comparing Heavyweight Tech Titans: Why Intel Is a Better Investment Than IBM [View article]
    Great article, I'm a big fan of intel for all the reasons you mention above. You raise a really interesting point about protecting mobile computing and networked devices. That area is woefully under served at the moment, and Intels move to integrate security with it's chips for these devices is forward thinking. I think it will be successful over the long term.

I am long INTC
    Feb 22 12:01 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    And best of all, it's free on his DRIP Investor site. Download it here dripinvesting.org/Tool...
    Feb 22 10:40 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    @ Tweedn - Dividend Champions are another great list to search out top companies, and I used it frequently.

@ David Fish - Thank you for the information. Since the list is only update yearly, occasionally changes occur that take time to be reflected in the next publishing. With that said, I usually use a list compiled by an investing friend that is updated quarterly. He runs a great site, and the last update was Nov. 18, so he may have missed a few 4th quarter payments. Check it out at dynamicdividend.com. But thank you for pointing out those errors.

@Debtal - Don't feel awkward, you raise a very valid question. The answer is actually rather simple: money! While I wish I had the cash to buy all the securities I would like to invest in, I simply do not. But feel free to check out my blog, thedividendpig.com for a list of all my holdings.

@ YoYoMama - these are better than heaven, because imagine that yield on cost after 5 or 10 more dividend increases!
    Feb 22 09:26 AM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Hormel Foods: A Delicious Addition to the Dividend Aristocrats [View article]
    Hormel does have a lot of insider ownership, which is usually a bullish sign. This summer saw large volume of insider transactions, and I know the CEO picked up some shares as well. It was a good move, since the stock has risen by about 30% since then. Thanks for the tip on Seaboard, I'll have to check them out.
    Feb 20 10:18 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment