The Fundamental Analyst

View The Fundamental Analyst's Comments BY TICKER:
  • How Big Is the Chinese Property Bubble? [View article]
    Since it is not my research I can't answer your question, I assumed it was the former, but I can't be sure.
    Nov 28 08:51 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Case-Shiller Home Prices Up in July but Rate of Growth Slows [View article]
    I agree that the nosedive is over, I would expect more of a slow grind lower into the end of the year and early next (in the absence of more govt intervention) and taking that into consideration I think it is a bit premature to call a bottom just yet.
    Sep 29 08:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Irish Finance Minister Demonstrates He Doesn’t Believe in Capitalism [View article]
    MJJP,

It pays to read the comments above before you post. I made absolutely no reference to AIB in my post, check my website for confirmation. The Editorial people at Seeking Alpha add the tickers, not me.
    Sep 25 12:41 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks to all those that pointed out AIB is not the right ticker. I know this and I did not add the ticker which you will see if you go to the original article on my website.

The good folks at Seeking Alpha add the tickers, I have no control over it.
    Sep 24 09:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Beware the Case-Shiller Lag [View article]
    Unfortunately I think it is financially possible but I hope it is politically unpalatable. The only way to clear the overhang of unsold inventory is to let prices fall, simple. It doesn't require any intervention just time.
    Sep 1 10:12 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple $400: A Look at Apple's Fundamentals (Part II) [View article]
    I'm glad you can read a dictionary,what this has to do with my argument about P/E ratios escapes me.
    Aug 18 08:45 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple $400: A Look at Apple's Fundamentals (Part II) [View article]
    If you care to look past one comment you'll gain an insight into my investment experience. If you understand the Buffet quote and the context within which it was made, you'll understand that it distills a lot of knowledge about price and value into a few words. I thought that might be helpful for a non-expert audience. Maybe I overestimated the quotes utility.

You both overestimated your own utility and underestimated your audience by wasting a few paragraphs with grade school platitudes.
    Aug 15 07:35 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple $400: A Look at Apple's Fundamentals (Part II) [View article]
    What you think the P/E ratio is or isn't supposed to do is of no interest to me. The P/E ratio is not a valuation metric, never was and never will be.

The P/E ratio cannot tell you a stock is cheap or expensive. A stock with a P/E of 50x can be cheaper than a stock with a P/E of 10x, if you don't understand this elementary concept you have no business investing in the stock market. All a P/E ratio can tell you is what investors are willing to pay to own shares in a company, based on their expectations of the future.

Earnings by themselves are meaningless. To understand why one company's earnings are more valuable than that of another you need to take into account how much equity it takes to produce those earnings, how much of those earnings are redistributed in the form of dividends and retained for reinvestment back into the business.
    Aug 15 06:37 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Market Is Cheap Meme [View article]
    King,

My analysis takes into consideration (based on historical evidence) that the level of the market today is associated with below average long term returns (7-10 years). Do you have such supporting evidence for your claims?
    Aug 14 09:01 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Market Is Cheap Meme [View article]
    zorrba,

did you read that on the back of a cereal packet or did you buy yourself a new refrigerator magnet?
    Aug 14 08:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple $400: A Look at Apple's Fundamentals (Part II) [View article]
    Warren Buffet: ‘Price is what you pay and value is what you get’

That means that price and value are two very different things, so how can a model produce a ‘value’ when one of its inputs is ‘price’?
    Aug 13 06:06 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple $400: A Look at Apple's Fundamentals (Part II) [View article]
    PE ratios cannot be used to determine if a stock is over or undervalued. If you believe that the price of a stock and it's value are two separate things, how can you use price in the calculation of value?
    Aug 13 04:11 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Marc Faber Debates Arthur Kroeber on China [View article]
    I should have said, against the yen
    Jun 21 06:47 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cruising for a Correction? [View article]
    I understand your point about looking at the PE in the context of dividend yields but you still come out with the same conclusion, that is from current valuations you are looking at well below average market returns for the coming decade.
    May 6 10:05 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cruising for a Correction? [View article]
    Econdoc,

The point of the Shiller analysis is that even average long term returns (a decade or more) have never eventuated from valuation levels such that we have today. That's not my view, that is what the data says.
    May 4 05:08 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment