The Keating Letter

View The Keating Letter's Comments BY TICKER:
  • What Hedge Fund Managers Are Doing With Bank of America [View article]
    Just a note that it just came out that Paulson cut his Bank of America holdings in half in Q2. Bruce Berkowitz added some BAC shares.
    Aug 15 05:23 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 Stocks With Recent CEO Buys of at Least $100,000 [View article]
    I put up a short article again about them yesterday: seekingalpha.com/artic...

Their quarter was pretty good with unexpected investment gains and decent losses relative to their exposure.
    Aug 5 10:15 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 Stocks With Recent CEO Buys of at Least $100,000 [View article]
    Here's a link for KGJI that you should read if interested in the name: seekingalpha.com/artic...

The article raises enough questions for me to not be interested in the name any further. I've seen big CEO buys from other Chinese frauds, so I won't rely on KGJI's insider buy alone to in any way prove that it is not a fraud.
    Aug 5 10:13 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Would Apple Take a Bite Out of Barnes & Noble? [View article]
    Just a note that I wrote this article before the news came out that there is potentially some conflict between Malone and Riggio. www.nypost.com/p/news/...

I don't know how serious this rumor is, but it's worth noting that some analyst have higher price targets than $17 on the stock.
    Aug 3 05:30 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Follow-Up: How My '11 Stock Picks for 2011' Are Performing [View article]
    Excellent analysis on PLX, Joe. Thanks for sharing it. The thing that I like about the company is their manufacturing process. The pipeline is good, and potentially very profitable, but I think the manufacturing process has the potential to be a very big bonus. It's trading like a normal biotech, which it's not. Some of the previous comments above show the company is not well understood.
    Jul 20 09:31 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • A Follow-Up: How My '11 Stock Picks for 2011' Are Performing [View article]
    Hey Bazooka- You're right, six months doesn't mean much. And, these aren't my actual returns since this was only a portion of my holdings and I traded around some of the positions. Please visit arquitos.com for more specific performance information.
    Jul 20 06:44 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Follow-Up: How My '11 Stock Picks for 2011' Are Performing [View article]
    Haha- Good trade on your part. BAC certainly could trade lower because of all the hysteria over it, though I hope we've hit a bottom. Even if they have to raise capital, which I don't believe so (but who knows for sure), they could dilute themselves two times over and shares would still be cheap. The issue is more of a short term trading issue than a long term fundamental one.
    Jul 19 04:20 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Follow-Up: How My '11 Stock Picks for 2011' Are Performing [View article]
    I should also note that these results did not include dividends, so CODI results would have improved by about 4.1% and SVU would have been better by 2%.
    Jul 19 02:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Follow-Up: How My '11 Stock Picks for 2011' Are Performing [View article]
    Thanks Gunny. :) Not a great six months, but I actually did very, very well with Barnes & Noble. You can see a much more detailed discussion on it here, goo.gl/v2MjC.

Bank of America was cheap at $15, and unfortunately for those of us who owned it, cheaper now. P/B at 0.5. It's a value play, definitely not a growth play. The problem is that the book value is tough to peg. That being said, once it stops being a punching bag, I think it will do very well. Normalized earnings are $2 minimum and potentially $3.50. That makes it a $20 to $35 stock. Of course, normalization may never come... but there is a large margin of safety right now if you can hold your nose.
    Jul 19 02:18 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Follow-Up: How My '11 Stock Picks for 2011' Are Performing [View article]
    Public humility keeps you honest. :) Really had four swings and misses: BAC, SNV, PLX, and ADY, each of which I still own. I like the first three quite a bit, ADY not as much. It's become a bit more of a risk/reward play since having to pay back Sequoia Capital. If they can make all the payments, it will soar. If they have to dilute or otherwise can't pay, things won't go well for them.
    Jul 19 02:13 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 11 Stock Picks for 2011: My Top (Relatively Safe) Holdings [View article]
    For a six month follow-up to this article, please visit here: seekingalpha.com/artic...
    Jul 19 02:10 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Insider Buying: 5 Recent CEO Buys of at Least $100K [View article]
    Wow- big jump today. I haven't seen any news, have you?
    Jul 13 09:43 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Insider Buying: 4 Recent CFO Buys of More Than $40,000 [View article]
    A note of clarification for BKSC. Sheryl Sharry bought these shares as part of an ESOP and not for her personal account. Same goes for some of CEO Hugh Lane's purchases.
    Jun 23 10:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Hedge Fund Manager Bill Ackman's 6 Favorite Stocks [View article]
    Yes, the title here should probably be largest, not favorite.
    Jun 17 01:13 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Platinum Underwriters Holdings: Cheap and Great Management [View article]
    Thanks for the comment, Ravi. I'd love to read your thoughts on the reinsurance companies you're looking at. There seems to be a lot of potential cheap ones to choose from. Hopefully valuations will improve as pricing does.

For PTP, its P/B discount to its history is similar to some other P&C reinsurers I've looked at, so I don't think the discount is specific to PTP. Obviously their book value dropped considerably after I wrote this, but the valuation level seems to be about the same. I can't explain why the discount is so great other than poor pricing and the tail threat of very high inflation. I'd be interested in hearing your take on that. There's probably also some recency bias where some investors are staying away from the sector after being burned so badly in 2008.
    Jun 1 08:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment